• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats everyone working on?

View attachment 970224 View attachment 970223 View attachment 970222 View attachment 970221 it's not a B Body but a 48 Chrysler New Yorker is still a Mopar! An over ambitious friend of mine brought it by for the "starter to be rewided" via tow truck but its been sitting for 25 years and needs a lot more then she was expecting. My grandfather had one so I have a bit of sentiment towards them so I will help her get it road worthy. It looked like an eye sore when it arrived so we installed the missing parts, hit all the chrome with fine steel wool, cut and polished up the paint. Now at least my neighbors will compliment instead of completion. The truck is also filled with nos parts!

A mighty fine machine!
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well, my car finally found it's way to the body shop. We painted the under hood, trunk and door jams 10 to 12 years ago and yes, it's been a slow build. So while l was waiting for the car l thought l would paint my old motorcycle helmet. Taking a chance using 10 + year old paint but what the heck. l thought it turned out pretty good. About 2 mins after l finished taking the pictures, my helmet decides to roll off the log. Bounced twice and rolled down my driveway :( A couple marks so l tried to sand them out and l think I'll see what it looks like after l clear coat it again. Maybe I'll have to do it again. Life is hard on helmets.:)
received-698775614298933.jpg

received-4133424126731682.jpg

View attachment 974121
received-391135472285141.jpg

photo and image hosting

Last edited:
I bought the proper 1/2" hardened steel rods and then wore heavy clothing and then a pair of heavy coveralls, leather gloves, steel toe boots, safety goggles and my quading helmet....just took my time and wound the springs up in small increments.
My two garage doors are from the 60's - they're solid wood and heavy as hell.
My brother found them on CL in Atlanta and brought them up for me several years ago.
I checked out the usual modern metal ones and they left me thinking "aluminum cans".
For the money, quite the ripoff if you ask me...

Bought all new hardware from a garage door supplier (they take different hardware from metal ones,
much beefier stuff - the doors are thicker) including new wind-em-up springs, tracks, the works.
Winding those up was quite the pucker-factor ordeal, as it took 33 winds - yes, 33!
No half-HP openers, either - 1HP each, on their own breakers.
The garage is a bonafide storm shelter. So's the doors.
Remember - "I won't leave a mess for my wife." :thumbsup:

My two garage doors are from the 60's - they're solid wood and heavy as hell.
My brother found them on CL in Atlanta and brought them up for me several years ago.
I checked out the usual modern metal ones and they left me thinking "aluminum cans".
For the money, quite the ripoff if you ask me...

Bought all new hardware from a garage door supplier (they take different hardware from metal ones,
much beefier stuff - the doors are thicker) including new wind-em-up springs, tracks, the works.
Winding those up was quite the pucker-factor ordeal, as it took 33 winds - yes, 33!
No half-HP openers, either - 1HP each, on their own breakers.
The garage is a bonafide storm shelter. So's the doors.
Remember - "I won't leave a mess for my wife." :thumbsup:

My 2 big doors are insulated panels so they are pretty heavy too...maybe not solid wood heavy though. ;) I have two big springs on each door, requiring 47-48 turns on each of the springs! Yeah gets a little scary when your cranking them over 40 times.

Mechanical HELL... And dunno where to start. I used to be great with all the MoPars Ive owned. Inherited my fathers A12 Super Bee last year. He built the Shxt out of the motor. Ive cruised it a lot, fixed some fuel leaks etc.. Ran great. Ran into my buddy with the 68 SS 396 Camaro last night, (we're both over 50 yrs old) but? Drag racing began. I ran the hell out of it. Now? As of last night, runs like crap. Like I stretched the timing chain or something. Dunno where to start. Other than when I got home, battery had 12.8 VOLTS! Uuuughhhh
Needle & Seat issues

Mechanical HELL... And dunno where to start. I used to be great with all the MoPars Ive owned. Inherited my fathers A12 Super Bee last year. He built the Shxt out of the motor. Ive cruised it a lot, fixed some fuel leaks etc.. Ran great. Ran into my buddy with the 68 SS 396 Camaro last night, (we're both over 50 yrs old) but? Drag racing began. I ran the hell out of it. Now? As of last night, runs like crap. Like I stretched the timing chain or something. Dunno where to start. Other than when I got home, battery had 12.8 VOLTS! Uuuughhhh
Needle & Seat issues
Start with basics
Plugs
Wires
Float level
Timing
And check your output on the alt to be sure it's ok
Coil
The question is did you win the race.

Agreed! Getting on that tomorrow. -Oh yeah, that 396 couldn't get away from me even when I gave him the Green first...lol
(Pic here from his view, all night)
FB_IMG_1594693954863.jpg

Start with basics
Plugs
Wires
Float level
Timing
And check your output on the alt to be sure it's ok
Coil

Wondering, if its OK to go with one of the newer Year One 90 Amp Alternators?

Just make sure you update the alt wiring with ii

Definitely! My alt was putting out 15.5 VOLTS at idle... Guessing the regulator wasn't quite working? I dont have a 20 Kohm setting on my DVOM, so guess I cant really test it separately.

Off to body shop number two. After six months, nothing really got done. It's a 70 Stage 1 Buhog. Than we will see if it is a Hemi killer! Its a 455/400 3.54 geared 8.5. No ac, but hey, neither does my GTX. I have literally everything for the car to finish it. But no color.

83095288_10219127850821190_7641463074100084736_n.jpg

Definitely! My alt was putting out 15.5 VOLTS at idle... Guessing the regulator wasn't quite working? I dont have a 20 Kohm setting on my DVOM, so guess I cant really test it separately.
Looks like it's time to get a better meter your going to need it. So you might have a problem with the regulator well many choices from that point on what to do. I would go over to the electrical thread and see what everyone else is doing. Might save some money extra.

Auto Transport Service
Back