• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats it worth ? 96 Dodge Indy pace truck

jprather

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:23 AM
Reaction score
just wondering... 1996 Dodge 1500 Indianapolis pace truck, 19,000 original miles, look like NEW. has a noise in the transmission, he thinks something in the torque converter.

he gave me a price, just dont want to put more $$ in it to pull trans and check it.

thoughts ?

sorry i dont have any pics of the truck.

this is from the interweb!
1708026019396.png

I got one of those. I had a second one at one point. They were two VIN numbers apart. I was considering selling the one I have for $7500.00. But my truck has 145k mileage on it. It runs and shifts great. My wife loves driving it. I have seen people asking as much as $17,500 for low mileage, mint condition Indy trucks. They made 2802 of them. 50 of them were actually used on the track at the 1996 Indy 500 race.

20220606_160936.jpg

Hard to say, it's one of those "is some rich guy looking to hype it up and put it in Mecum?"
Because really it is a standard cab, shortbox 2wd 1990's pick up truck with some stickers on it.
Now, in WI in the salt, a truck in clean condition is extinct. So that means something yet.

Personally, I think it is worth $8k in nice condition. You could add a bonus $5k for the miles on it. If you brought it up north in June into the salt belt you could add another $2k.
But then you need to subtract whatever transmission thing you have going on. Get a quote on full rebuild if you aren't sure. Could be as simple as it didn;t like getting less than 1000 miles a year on it and the converter is slugged up and needs a good flush etc. Or it could be a factory dud, a couple of those made it out to the public to keep the "dodge transmissions are all sh4t" theme alive and well. It would be really bad luck, but it could be.

It is a pace truck, not an SRT10, not a Ford Lightning, Chevy 454 SS, Typhoon, etc.

You either need to keep it how it is for another 20 years or plan on it being a fun driver. Fun driver doesn't mean a lot $$ wise.

It's not just a decal package. They are all 5.9 Magnum powered. The base engine in the 1500 Ram two wheel drive was a V6 the 5.2 318 was an option, the 5.9 360 was also an option. The Indy Ram was only offered with the 5.9 360 engine and 17 inch wheels.

It's not just a decal package. They are all 5.9 Magnum powered. The base engine in the 1500 Ram two wheel drive was a V6 the 5.2 318 was an option, the 5.9 360 was also an option. The Indy Ram was only offered with the 5.9 360 engine and 17 inch wheels.
The 360 is not special.
Maybe elsewhere in the country there were more V6 trucks but in WI I only saw 2 in my entire lifetime.
360:318 was 3:1 as well. Maybe the dealers around here didn't want to have people comparing the 318 to the 350 or something. Not sure.
You want something rare, 318+ 5 speed.

The 17" wheels factory is sort of special, they didn't offer them as a more available option until they did the offroad package a couple years later.

Most of the trucks from that era around here are powered by the 318 5.2 engines. The 360 is seen more often in the 2500 Ram trucks. 1500 Rams with 360 engines are not that common.

Most of the trucks from that era around here are powered by the 318 5.2 engines. The 360 is seen more often in the 2500 Ram trucks. 1500 Rams with 360 engines are not that common.
That's interesting. In WI there may have been more deisels then 360's in the 3/4 ton. At least as many V10's as 360's.
I do know from those times people were buying the Ram as an alternative to a Mustang or Camaro here as well because you could actually drive the Ram in the snow respectably.
Between that and this being Chevy zealot country I wonder if the dealerships knew their market better then the competition and were more selective in what they brought in.

There was deffinately a "size matters" mentality in WI during the 80's and 90's. Chrysler was long chided for not having a big block until the V10 came out and the farmers found out how the Cummins did compared to the 80's 454 and 460's.

Its a small market truck.
There was one around here listed a couple years ago. Nice truck with miles up near 100k miles I think.

It was listed over and over on Marketplace for months ,,,maybe longer. Ive no idea if it ever sold or not. Best I remember the asking was around $7500

Exactly.
Screenshot_20240216_100615_Chrome.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back