• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Transmission Fluid was purposefully overfilled by mechanic after Seals, Gaskets etc were replaced. Question

AngryPossum

Local time
3:11 AM
Reaction score
I just got a transmission leak repaired on my truck, it had a bad torque converter seal and possibly a transmission pump seal, that was leaking heavily. The leak happened while I was pulling my boat a few weeks ago in 90 degree heat.

So the mechanic replaced all the necessary seals, o rings, gaskets, etc and purposely overfilled the transmission fluid, so far the leak is fixed. PS The transmission was removed when doing these repairs.

Question, is this normal to overfill the transmission fluid after doing this repair? The fluid was way overfilled when I got home with my truck, he said to drive it at least 80 miles and check it. So I asked a few mechanics afterwards and they said that's not normal. Your thoughts.

Last edited:
I've never heard of that.
Possibly over filled and didn't feel like draining it down .

Never good to overfill. I'm with RemCharger.. if the mechanic did overfill it, he probably didn't want to drain some out since there's no drain plug like on the engine(unless you have an aftermarket pan).
Just for clarity, you're checking the level with the fluid hot while idling in neutral right?

Never good to overfill. I'm with RemCharger.. if the mechanic did overfill it, he probably didn't want to drain some out since there's no drain plug like on the engine(unless you have an aftermarket pan).
Just for clarity, you're checking the level with the fluid hot while idling in neutral right?

Yes, idling it in park or neutral, and checking while it's hot too. It's way too overfilled.

Remember to check fluid level after draining some. Do it level ground and warmed up engine running.

I just got my transmission leak repaired on my truck, it had a bad torque converter seal and possibly a transmission pump seal, that was leaking heavily, while I was pulling my boat a few weeks ago.

So the mechanic replaced all the necessary seals, o rings, gaskets, etc and purposely overfilled the transmission fluid, so far the leak is fixed. PS The transmission was removed when doing these repairs.

Question, is this normal to overfill the transmission fluid after doing this repair? The fluid was way overfilled when I got home with my truck, he said to drive it at least 80 miles and check it. So I asked a few mechanics afterwards and they said that's not normal. Your thoughts.
You checked the level when hot and idling in neutral? If so, not normal to overfill them and ya, should drain it down some. It's ok to be above the fill line but not by much....

Yes, idling it in park or neutral, and checking while it's hot too. It's way too overfilled.
In neutral and not in Park. Too full and you will have leaks and the possibility of blowing fluid out the vent.

Exactly, why would he purposely do something that would cause another leak? I don't think he would be that ignorant. Especially because I charged it on a credit card.
Trying to sell some transmission fluid? Maybe it was an honest mistake? If you like the guy, you might bring it up to him and if he's younger, he might not know that Mopars don't pump in Park. They have to be in neutral and for the fluid to pump though and at operating temp get a good read on the stick. I've run into that before several years back.....

I believe the converter was emptied because he had to do a torque converter seal. I'm not 100% sure though.
It's not exactly easy to fully drain a converter but even though, once everything is together it's not that hard to fill to the right height if you know how.

I had a similar question last year about fluid level after my racing tranny was replaced with a rebuilt unit, I will post my question here as I am not sure how to link to it:

My recently rebuilt 727, with manual reverse valve body, seems to have the fluid level high on stick after being parked for a while. I mean several inches above normal. Checking the level after warming & in neutral while idling shows normal level on the stick. I have never heard of this before. The car gets parked on level ground. Leak back from somewhere maybe?? Check valve issue?? Any ideas of what could cause this???:BangHead:

I hope all works out for you!

I had a similar question last year about fluid level after my racing tranny was replaced with a rebuilt unit, I will post my question here as I am not sure how to link to it:

My recently rebuilt 727, with manual reverse valve body, seems to have the fluid level high on stick after being parked for a while. I mean several inches above normal. Checking the level after warming & in neutral while idling shows normal level on the stick. I have never heard of this before. The car gets parked on level ground. Leak back from somewhere maybe?? Check valve issue?? Any ideas of what could cause this???:BangHead:

Converter drainback. Many Mopar transmissions will do that.

An overfilled transmission can lead to foaming, which can further lead to slippage and overheating.

Converter drainback. Many Mopar transmissions will do that.
And when they do that, they usually don't want to go into gear you put the selector in any gear. That's because the converter is 1/2 empty so just let it sit and idle in gear and it'll start moving shortly when the converter fills back up.

A real mechanic finishes the job and the unit is ready for use on delivery. This guy is a hack, no other way to say it.

Auto Transport Service
Back