• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Transmission Fluid was purposefully overfilled by mechanic after Seals, Gaskets etc were replaced. Question

So I drained some fluid out. And accidentally overdid it, making it low in tranny fluid. When I removed the excess which was only about a quart, it was weird because I thought it was over 3 quarts over, I was wrong. It was only a quart over. All good now.

A quick way to drain some fluid would be to loosen the speedometer drive unit on a level set of axles stands/jackstands.

Be ready to fasten it back in place once you have drained enough to check the level.

Easiest, cleanest way to drain. Take a length of aquarium hose, mark it an inch shy of the dipstick tube length and stick it down the tube and then the other end down under the car. Suck to get it siphoning into a container and go have a beer.

Bulb pump from amazon handy to have.
bulb pump.JPG

Another way to get some fluid out is by loosening one of the lines going to the radiator cooler, and let it run out from there.

Another way to get some fluid out is by loosening one of the lines going to the radiator cooler, and let it run out from there.
That's what I do if necessary or doing a trans flush, trace the pressure side to the cooler and hook a rubber hose on it.

Doesn't pressure side lube the trans?
All the fluid gets pumped out the front cooler line to the cooler. So it's the pressure side to the cooler, and then a return goes back to the rear of the transmission

I just got a transmission leak repaired on my truck, it had a bad torque converter seal and possibly a transmission pump seal, that was leaking heavily. The leak happened while I was pulling my boat a few weeks ago in 90 degree heat.

So the mechanic replaced all the necessary seals, o rings, gaskets, etc and purposely overfilled the transmission fluid, so far the leak is fixed. PS The transmission was removed when doing these repairs.

Question, is this normal to overfill the transmission fluid after doing this repair? The fluid was way overfilled when I got home with my truck, he said to drive it at least 80 miles and check it. So I asked a few mechanics afterwards and they said that's not normal. no its NOT i was told by more tan 1 tradmission guy that if u ovr fill the trans that causes foamong in it as it is trying to wok . it will caue more harm than good u may want to find a different trany guy

Never good to overfill your transmission, even if it's not a torqueflite! Get the transmission hot and check the level in neutral, than add if u have too, follow your recommended oil capacity on line first, if you have an external transmission cooler, you will need more. If you don't have a transmission cooler, we'll worth considering it especially if you have a higher stall converter than factory.

Easiest, cleanest way to drain. Take a length of aquarium hose, mark it an inch shy of the dipstick tube length and stick it down the tube and then the other end down under the car. Suck to get it siphoning into a container and go have a beer.
I like that

I like that
I'd rather use that little pump bulb like in post 25 but might use an old Holley fuel pump instead. Got a few of those still laying around. Can only imagine how much it takes to get that fluid up by mouth.....kinda like trying to drink a thick shake through a straw?

I'd rather use that little pump bulb like in post 25 but might use an old Holley fuel pump instead. Got a few of those still laying around. Can only imagine how much it takes to get that fluid up by mouth.....kinda like trying to drink a thick shake through a straw?
I mostly liked the tube set to the desired height, not the drinking trani fluid part. Lol

Auto Transport Service
Back