• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

whats my car worth (in this economy)

yep. i have seen my dad(long time mopar man before i was born)turn down STUPID money for his 64 belvedere....i mean like double... he reminds me of that often lol. the old saying "money can't buy everything" he jingles from time to time. "You can't let the almighty dollar get between you and your family".....that one kinda stuck.

Hey Don, When I was serving in the first gulf war I was collecting my regular USMC pay plus around an extra hundred bucks a month for getting shot at (imminent danger pay) lol!! Woo! Sweeeet! :grin:

Anyways, there wasn't anything to spend any money on and no place to do so for me in 1990-1991 so I saved a little stack of money. I mailed a list home to my step dad back home, It was a list of cars to look for. The list was made up of cars I was fond of, cars I'm still fond of today. There were B-body mopars on the list, there were 66-67 ford fairlanes, there were chevy and ford full sized from 64-66, chevelles from 66-67...

pretty good list.

I told him to go shopping for me and use his tire kicking experience to seek out a nice solid car for me from the list.

He ended up finding a 1966 Chevy Caprice 2 dr hard top with a little 327 and a powerglide.

We had one of those as well as many others on the list as family cars when I was younger, I told him to go for it.

He bought it in 91 and took it upon himself to start working on it, she was a good driver the way it was but he was bored so he pulled the engine & trans, rebuilt it all, had a couple rips in the seats fixed professionally, some minor body and paint work, new wheels and tires, dual exhaust... It was ready for me what I came back from overseas. It was sharp, a real nice car.

I got married when I got back, that was our wedding car. Since then we have had 3 kids, now ages 7 on up to 17. All 3 kids came home from the hospital at birth in that old chevy, for the youngest boy we had to dust off the old chevy and borrow a set of wheels with good tires from a friend’s 55 chev to get the job done.

Almost sold the car a couple of times, but we still have it.

It's in line for a restoration as soon as I am done with my 69 road runner.

I kind of understand the family car thing and the kids & wife becoming attached.

:grin:

Glad to hear you are keeping it.

but a B5 blue hemi challenger with classic wheels...lowered, 6 speed, tint..exhaust, tune...air, heat, 20+mpg...

It is a nice one. I wouldn't try to sell it now if you don't have to. Most cars aren't selling for anywhere near what they should be. For example, this one has been for sale for over a month. 1967 Plymouth Belvedere 2 two door hardtop 318 motor Tennessee car drives and runs new exhaust and brakes 66,000 actual miles
$3500 or best offer
Call 1(219)778-8527 between 9am and 5pm for more information 1967 Belvedere 2 - $3500 (New Carlisle, Indiana)

Attachments

• 3kf3p23l15U25X45S0b3d6f2e48a49af9115b.jpg
    3kf3p23l15U25X45S0b3d6f2e48a49af9115b.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 240
  • 3md3p23l55W45U55S5b3dc70711634a5813e0.jpg
    3md3p23l55W45U55S5b3dc70711634a5813e0.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 227
Shiny cars sell to a much larger market.

Primer cars generally only sell to people who can see past the primer and know almost exactly what the car is/has/needs. Much tougher market.

but a B5 blue hemi challenger with classic wheels...lowered, 6 speed, tint..exhaust, tune...air, heat, 20+mpg...

A left over 2010 could be had for around $32K plus warranty and sales tax, assuming you can find a B5 leftover.I tell the wife we will own a Challenger one day, probably a 2010 model, I don't expect that to happen until 2015 or so. Let someone else take the hit on the original purchase. We love our '05 Magnum R/T, had it 2 years now, paid $16K w/ 30k on the clock!

yeah was my thinking, id like to own a 2009 model...that is the year my son was born...be cool to hand that down one day and be the year he was born.

I have planned on taking it to mopar nationals this year in Columbus....i went last year but didnt take my car and really only seen 4-5 cars like mine and really no better shape than mine other than one hemi clone one over in the show area...so i felt pretty good about my car after that and how rare these old cars are getting harder and harder to find even in nice driver quality shape...

I agree w/ you. The older cars that are not high dollar models are a lot more fun to drive with not having to worry about racking up mileage. Both my cars were 318 models and I enjoy driving them.If I ever need to repower the convertible I will probably go to a small block.Another advantage to the old rides is you can work on them yourself w/out needing special tools or equipment.About the only thing you can do to the new ones is change the oil and filters or bolt on aftermarket pieces that cost $$$.

Last edited:
nice car i was thinking 12-14k.

Absolutely beautiful car! Do you really want to sell that? If you advertise, and don't rush it you can probably sell it for 8-10k, but you'll have to sit on it for a while. The 66-67 Dodges and Plymouths are great for driving. You've got a nice, safe, dependable, comfortable, damn sexy, easy and cheap to find parts for cruiser.

When you said Challenger time I thought you meant like a 70!! That kind of upgrade would be acceptable if the price is right. But you have one clean 66 that is reliable and is most likely paid for. You might be saving $200.00 per month on gas but it will cost you $400.00 per month (plus interest) to do it.

yeah i meant the new ones...an 09 (my sons birth year) specifically... but i love love love the old ones...just figured i would never own a nice one...but the fact of the new ones, new technology, air, heat, leather, 6 speed, killer looks, 20+mpg...etc...just seems really really tempting but expensive..i should wait a couple more years and maybe they will be affordable by then haha.

yeah i meant the new ones...an 09 (my sons birth year) specifically... but i love love love the old ones...just figured i would never own a nice one...but the fact of the new ones, new technology, air, heat, leather, 6 speed, killer looks, 20+mpg...etc...just seems really really tempting but expensive..i should wait a couple more years and maybe they will be affordable by then haha.

These and the new Mustangs and Camaros ARE taking buyers away from the old ones.

Think about it, it is just like 40 years ago when you could buy a new out of the box muscle car that would turn the 1/4 in 14 seconds or less stone stock, that could be financed and had a factory warrant on it.

Beautiful car Uncle Don! You don't find nice cars like that everyday.

thanks for the compliments guys... if the rain would ever stop here i might be able to drive it one day....suppose to rain till septmember.

By the way what kind/size/back spacing etc are those wheels&tires?Wife likes and the 66
Satellite we have is really hers,when its done.

they are 17x7's in front and 17x8's in rear with 4.25 offset...it really needs a 4.5 offset to be perfect...but i deal...225-50 tires in front, 225-55 tires in rear..

Auto Transport Service
Back