• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the Best header gaskets

goose69

Local time
4:48 PM
Reaction score
What are your guys's opinion on the best header gaskets? Good sealing and no burnouts.

I have had good luck with TTI gaskets.In two years I have only replaced on gasket do to loose bolt.

The ones that dont leak... LOL!
Thats a question that goes back nearly as far as "what came first the chicken or the egg", or "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll Tootsie Pop".
The World may never know!!!!

BTW, I had good luck with the Exh manifold gaskets that came in my Fel-Pro gasket set. I used these on cast iron heads with Headers. I put them on my current engine combo with Aluminum heads, and TTI headers. I have already replaced the passenger side, and I hear it leaking again.... Maybe it's the header or my tightening sequence? Hard to say for sure! Maybe these don't work so well with Aluminum heads??

BTW, I had good luck with the Exh manifold gaskets that came in my Fel-Pro gasket set. I used these on cast iron heads with Headers. I put them on my current engine combo with Aluminum heads, and TTI headers. I have already replaced the passenger side, and I hear it leaking again.... Maybe it's the header or my tightening sequence? Hard to say for sure! Maybe these don't work so well with Aluminum heads??

I've used those in the past also. Seemed to work alright with the cast heads I had. Seen a lot of the copper gaskets and some newer material being offered so thought I'd ask.
Thank you.

I've always had good results with my gaskets. The key is make sure the header has a good gasket surface. The best gasket won't do squat if it has a lousy sealing surface. Headers with a thicker flange helps too. Cheap headers usually have a lousy surface. A straight edge and a good large flat file is what I use to dress surfaces that look iffy.

I've used those in the past also. Seemed to work alright with the cast heads I had. Seen a lot of the copper gaskets and some newer material being offered so thought I'd ask.
Thank you.

What are your guys's opinion on the best header gaskets? Good sealing and no burnouts.
I use the Mr. Gasket Ultra Seal #5936 for a BB, they have worked best for me.

After many yrs of running headers on different brands I found that fel-pro header gaskets work very well. Usually the problem is that header bolts back out over time causing a leak. I use Mr Gasket header lock washers along with the fel-pro header gasket and I haven't had a header leak in yrs.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-3416/

If you use the withe composition gaskets, soak them with something before you install them. Water, WD-40, anything like that to swell them before installation. It lets them conform more easily with any irregularities you have on the heads or flanges, then dries out as you give it time. Just tighten like normal, and you may be surprised.

I've copper gaskets on my engine now, and they seem to be working really well.

Many many years ago, i found some Mr Gasket gaskets that were like a Premium gasket, can't remember the exact name or number, it was just something like that. They seemed to be graphite impregnated, but that dang set of gaskets... Man I did like 3 engine changes, I dunno how many headers on and off, but over about 5 years they never leaked and sealed up each and everytime I used them. I sure wish I could find a set of them now.

I have a set of Remflex sitting on the shelf. Can't say for certain how good they are as I haven't used them yet but supposedly these are the answer to all your header woes.

I've always used Fel-Pro. I think the key to a good seal is the thickness and quality of the flange. I've had real good luck with tti stuff. They make a good thick flange that doesn't seem to warp much. A good fastener is also key.

Like you guys said, biggest key is to have flat mating surface. I remember using a big file on my old headers to even that surface out. Nuts or bolts backing off is a big problem too, which I will use some more heat treated lock washers to try and help with this. I'll be looking into your suggestions on which material or gaskets to use. I did do the white paper mr. Gasket header gaskets soaked in water in the past and it helped.
Thank you again for your suggestions and welcome anymore you guys have. Thanks.

Me too

:iamwithstupid: "me too" on anything with headers anyway, just "anneal" them {heat up & soften them} prior to installing them, unless they come pre-annealed...

My personal favorite hands down are the Percys dead soft. Hold bolt torque great, they conform to anything and ive never had a blow out. On collectors i ise Percys carbon. Same deal awesome quality. Kinda pricey but worth every penny

Sometimes none. On my 68 Mustang 302 I just put a thick layer of the high temp orange RTV and had no issues for over 50 K miles. Same trick for the collectors. The key is to start with good parts that sit flat.

My personal favorite hands down are the Percys dead soft. Hold bolt torque great, they conform to anything and ive never had a blow out. On collectors i ise Percys carbon. Same deal awesome quality. Kinda pricey but worth every penny
That's the reason I like good gasket surfaces......avoid spending big bucks. :headbang:

Auto Transport Service
Back