• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 head gaskets

dan juhasz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:23 AM
Reaction score
I've got to choose head gaskets for my 426 hemi rebuild. I know many people love cometic mls gaskets. They are on the short list. When it comes to composition gaskets the Best Gasket Co offers a graphite head gasket with flattened steel ring ( has anyone ever used gaskets from this company? their sole busimess is vintage gaskets ), Fel Pro 1106 performance gaskets list the bore size as 4.340 my bore is only 4.280 are these even appropriate? Does that .060 increase in size rule this gasket out?
Dan

I have always used Cometics. Reusable and never had any issues. If you have any kind of power adder it pays to even pay extra for their MLX head gaskets if available. They always can't do every bore size or thicknesses in the MLX series though.

What heads do you have? I just got Edelbrock JRS, they recommend their # 7347, or fel pro #1104. Minimum bore of 4.375. Not sure about that minimum, my engine is 4.320, and it had the #1104's on it. That's probably what I will put back on it.

What heads do you have? I just got Edelbrock JRS, they recommend their # 7347, or fel pro #1104. Minimum bore of 4.375. Not sure about that minimum, my engine is 4.320, and it had the #1104's on it. That's probably what I will put back on it.
the 1104 are a 4.5 plus bore diameter gasket. I don't remember the exact dimension.

I've got to choose head gaskets for my 426 hemi rebuild. I know many people love cometic mls gaskets. They are on the short list. When it comes to composition gaskets the Best Gasket Co offers a graphite head gasket with flattened steel ring ( has anyone ever used gaskets from this company? their sole busimess is vintage gaskets ), Fel Pro 1106 performance gaskets list the bore size as 4.340 my bore is only 4.280 are these even appropriate? Does that .060 increase in size rule this gasket out?
Dan
If the bore of the gasket is 4.340" that's only .030" back from the bore so it would be proper. You want the head gasket set back from the bore. I prefer the Fel Pro.

Cometic is really the best you can get
The finish on the block and heads needs to be perfect for mls gaskets to be effective. That’s a concern for me with the machine shops that are in the area. I just feel more comfortable for long term results using a composition type gasket. In all my years in the field I saw quite a few new cars that use mls gaskets that had to be torn down because the rms finish was not adequate.

Auto Transport Service
Back