• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the best lawn weed killer for beginners?

Ortho weed b gon....... should take care of most of the problems......also using decent quality 4 step fertilizer program ..... example Scott's is pretty fool proof for homeowners if you follow the general guidelines......nutsedge is tough to get rid of once it settles in!!!!..... hopefully this helps:thumbsup:

Par III - if its good enough for golf courses its good enough for me. Tenacity is for crabgrass.

Guys, this is beginner level homeowner we're talking about. I care because I have to look at that ugly eyesore daily; its the view from my living room and front porch. Thanks for the pertinent advice.

There is no product (safe to use by the average person) that will take care of everything - leaving just the grass. What kills weeds won't touch crabgrass and vice versa. Also keep in mind that the resident is a young renter and probably isn't interested in putting a whole lot of time into this nor will he want to don a hazmat suit and Scott airpack to spray the lawn. . That said, an "off the shelf" product like Weed-B-Gone with the hose end attachment is a good choice for weeds. For crabgrass )which I've been battling for 20 years) I finally had good success with "Dimension" which I had to buy state-side. This stuff is in pellet form and should be applied at the first sign of the crabgrass growth.

Keep in mind the best weed and crabgrass control is limiting the spread. If you want to get rid of crabgrass the WORST thing you can do is mulch - this just spreads the millions of seeds its produces. Bagging and disposing the clippings once crabgrass is in bloom is an absolute must.

So what is the best weed killer 69a100?

Have ya thought about painting your widows green?

There's a guy on YouTube, "The Lawn Care Guy/Nut", he used to be in the buisness
and knows all about lawns. For Crabgrass, something with at least 20% Quinclorac
works but you have to use it as soon as you see it start sprouting. If it gets established,
you need to selectively kill it with Roundup. Different chemicals for different weeds!
No easy way out. I spot treat my lawn all year round to keep the dandelions and Crabgrass
at bay. He could always hire a service and pay! Or learn.

Being that he is a renter, good luck on motivating him to care about it. The easiest would be some form of weed and feed attached to his garden hose. Easy and low investment, done a few times a year. It may not kill every kind of weed but will kill most. I personally like the concentrated ones that need mixing but that's too advanced for a beginner.

Privacy fence? I gave up on a nice lawn years ago. One neighbor has a dandelion lawn. One has a creeping charlie/ clover lawn. The other has a all natural lawn. When the city rebuilt the road the soil and seed the contractor used must have been swamp soil and 90% weed seed. No golf course here. My new saying is "it's only grass".

Get a good bag weed-feed from a big box store. Bermuda likes regular cutting, but to cultivate it to keep the green on the tips at 1/4 would need years to training it. 2 inch cut will see some improvement to color. Cost is king with renters....so a budget and watering will always be the 900 pound gorilla.

So what is the best weed killer 69a100?

There is no best, only the most effective, and it's not Roundup. You want a TVK, or just a weed killer?
TVK= Total Vegetation Killer, i.e. it kills everything in it's path, even the grass!

Liquid is best, going to need more than one application. Most important is to mix to the directions, just dumping a bunch on will just fry the foliage and not kill the roots. Then will be right back. It may takes a few days to a week to see any change, this is normal. It needs to be absorbed and spread throughout the plant before it can kill it. It is absorbed in the leaf, not the stem or the dirt.

Getting the renter to keep up on it will be the trick.

Not letting the weeds go to seed is the key.

I have a neighbor and nothing he uses ever works very well. He never follows the directions. He would have a sprayer in hand while on the riding mower, spray weeds, then turn around and mow over them one minute later. That doesn’t kill anything folks! LOL

Maybe they should get a life...

I can't help it...:rofl:

I couldn't give a rats *** about my lawn. What a waste of time.
Yep, when it rains that's when it gets watered. Bahia field grass looks like crap when it's dry, boom, when it rains.

Auto Transport Service
Back