• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the Dumbest Thing You’ve Done to Your B Body?

Not a B body but back when we were kids my younger brother and I were arguing over a knocking sound coming from our '68 Formula S 383 4sp Barracuda. He said it was a main bearing, I said it was a connecting rod bearing. So we decided to hold the pedal on the floor and wait for it to blow. It did. Big hole in the side of the block with the connecting rod sticking through it. I said to my brother "See!"

View attachment 1350748
:rofl:

Came out and saw cat prints on the GTX. Got mad and grabbed the cat by the scruff and put him on the hood, and whacked his little behind. Out came the claws for traction and he proceeded to scratch the living heck out of the hood in his haste to retreat. Lesson learned, for him and me!

Had a slant six that was knocking bad. We decided to blow it up. We only made it a hundered yards with the foot on the floor. Best I can describe it... For a 1/4 mile at about 4000k Knock,knock,knock,knock,knock,knock,knock,knock,knock...shoooop and it died and we coasted to a stop. It was dark...and a bit disappointed because it wasnt really the epic explosion or noise we were looking for..... so we popped the hood and were looking around the engine compartment. After shining the light around...we started laughing uncontrollably.
A connecting rod was on top of the fenderwell.
Might not fit the thread cause I can't say I regret that...it was frikkin hilarious. :rofl:

I am going to cut a hole in the roof of a California 70 Charger R/T to put in a sunroof! Who does that anymore? It is a factory sunroof though! If someone has an aftermarket sunroof hacked into their 68 to 70 B body and would like the piece of roof,I am cutting out to fix their roof,let me know! I am building this!

3093597C-68D7-4CB0-B9F1-4F815AFB4A3F.jpeg

I got it. Now, my wallet and I are no longer on speaking terms. My garage has no more room in it...for anything.

When I was 18, I bought a used set of traction bars for my first car, 70 340 Swinger and immediately installed them. That night, I thought I was pretty cool cruising the main drag and was convinced they made the car hook better until a guy in a Challenger TA told me that my traction bars were on backwards! I had them facing the back of the car....

Another stupid thing I did was spend all my money building a 440 and 727 for my 68 GTX, but totally ignored the lack of brakes, suspension upgrades or gears. I must've drove for a month or two with drum brakes that were grinding to the point it took a block to slow down enough to stop! I also had the rear right axle bearing seize on the highway and as soon as I got on the off ramp, the wheel with brake drum and backing plate still attached came right off the axle and the metal burst into flames! I was now the ripe old age of around 20.

One time I was out on a date and stopped at the gas station, I opened the hood to check the fluids and without even realizing it or thinking too much, I opened the rad cap and immediately got a hot shower of coolant while she was sitting in the front seat wondering what the hell I was screaming about!

I'm sure there's more....

Had a slant six that was knocking bad. We decided to blow it up. We only made it a hundered yards with the foot on the floor. Best I can describe it... For a 1/4 mile at about 4000k Knock,knock,knock,knock,knock,knock,knock,knock,knock...shoooop and it died and we coasted to a stop. It was dark...and a bit disappointed because it wasnt really the epic explosion or noise we were looking for..... so we popped the hood and were looking around the engine compartment. After shining the light around...we started laughing uncontrollably.
A connecting rod was on top of the fenderwell.
Might not fit the thread cause I can't say I regret that...it was frikkin hilarious. :rofl:
You did good.
I had a 64 330 /6 that I drove across the city for 6 months with a heavy rod knock. When I finally got a replacement mill, we tried to brick the gas pedal. Finally just gave up and pulled the smoking piece of junk out.
It. Would. Not. Die.

Auto Transport Service
Back