What's the Dumbest Thing You’ve Done to Your B Body?

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:47 PM
Reaction score
Just remembered another one of my high school projects with the 64 SF. I admired the 442 ram air system so I fabricated my own with snips, sheet metal, dyer hose and wait for it - duct tape. I cut a couple holes in my air cleaner (ruining an unsilenced air cleaner), made up a couple sheet metal nipples and duct taped the whole mess together, attached the drier hoses (with duct tape), fabricated a couple oblong under bumper scoops from tin, attached the hoses again with duct tape, and somehow fastened the scoops under bumper. What I would have given if my Dad would have had a pop rivet gun.

Surprisingly this whole mess held together for a year or so and the dryer hose didn’t melt and the duct tape held up. I think I finally got embarrassed by the whole mess at college and when it came time to open up the air cleaner to replace the filter, I ripped it all off and threw it away.

chtampa

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:47 PM
Reaction score
I was dating this girl that had never driven a stick shift before. Chivalry forced me to put her in the drivers seat of my Road Runner and teach her. No traffic in an industrial center on a Saturday, perfect spot! She learns the clutch pretty easy, so now it is time to do a u-turn. She is turning and doesn't do the complete "u", more of a "J" and heads down a not yet a road straight towards a barb wire fence, while I am yelling for her to push in the clutch. I should have been more specific and said to hit the brake also. Through the fence we go and as the wire stopped us it punctures the front tire. We swap places inside the car because the barbs are stretched down the side of the car and holding the doors shut. I back it out onto the asphalt and get out to see that my front fenders look like a prop from Jurassic Park. I am dressed for a date and open the trunk for the jack and spare and a four way lug wrench. Four lug nuts come right off, but the fifth decides it wants to spin the stud. Now I am removing the spindle nut and wheel and tire to get the stud to hold still. Ruined a nice shirt and my paint job.

A funnier story involves my first trip to a bottle club with tequila and another girl friend driving us home in the Road Runner. I was petting the seat and telling the car to get us home OK when I yelled for her to pull over so I could hang over the rocker and puke on the shoulder. Looking back as a car pulled up behind us I saw a light bar that was curiously not flashing and then I leaned back in and the girlfriend continued home without incident. Of course as we pulled into the drive I was petting the seat and complimenting my car for getting us home safely.

Darter6

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
duct tape.
I resemble that statement ! Red duct tape makes it go faster !
IMG_0434.jpg

Cojohnso1

Local time
Reaction score
I resemble that statement ! Red duct tape makes it go faster !
View attachment 1257685
The old saying. "If you can't fix it? Duct it!"

Another tale from the track is with my A-body. I went to tech. And they began enforcement of a steel fuel line all long firewall. There was no parts store. But there was a Hardware store. So I made a steel line from natural gas piping. It was heavy and looked like one would imagine. But I was racing that weekend. (I still have a portion of that piping lower firewall. Everything above that's visible steel braided.