• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the first car that you drove over 100 mph?

1979 Trans-Am, I was on I-90 just east of Rapid city S.D. It's long and straight and soooo, I decided lets see what this little 4.9L V-8 will do. It had a (I believe) 3.23 gears in the back so it wasn't an off the line car. But it wound up pretty good on the highway. Once it got past 125 MPH (indicated) it started to float a little too much over the swells in the road, so warp drive was disengaged. As fun as that was, it didn't compare to 141 on my friends Kawasaki GPZ-1100. But that's a story for a different time!

1968 “crew cab” roadrunner. My 1st b body. Factory 318 suspension, and worn out leave springs. 10” manual drum brakes. 383/727, with 3.55 gears. It was a little scary floating all over the road, I had just enough control. It’s the reason I did better with my GTX, that’ll cruise so comfy at a 100.
:lol:

View attachment 1319167
My first B body was a 66 'crew cab' Belvedere. It was 70 when I got it (hand me down 1/2 grad gift lol) and did some front end work on it, got rid of the super soft factory shocks. The rear springs were in good shape and once a 383 replaced the poly teen, it ran pretty good. It would bury the speedo with no problem with the stock 2.94 gears and ran a best of 14.87 with them.

Can we PLEASE stop the new and pathetically ridiculous trend of calling a four-door sedan a ******* "crew cab"???

1968 “crew cab” roadrunner. My 1st b body. Factory 318 suspension, and worn out leave springs. 10” manual drum brakes. 383/727, with 3.55 gears. It was a little scary floating all over the road, I had just enough control. It’s the reason I did better with my GTX, that’ll cruise so comfy at a 100.
:lol:

View attachment 1319167

Can we PLEASE stop the new and pathetically ridiculous trend of calling a four-door sedan a ******* "crew cab"???
:rofl: Haven't had a 'crew cab' or a 'mordoo'r car in a lot of years now. Ever since my first car (CC/MD :D), I haven't had another unless you count my wifes Durango. Even my extended cab 2500 only has 2 doors.

No.

I don’t know if it’s because I’m a young guy, and I feel honored and lucky to be around, own and work on these cars. Or if it was how I was raised. I’ve never felt the need to criticize, and he super picky on what people say about their cars. Of course there’s obvious posi, sure grip, safety track kinda stuff. But just overall I don’t care. Whatever makes you happy.

Last edited:
Do we all need to be 'PC' on everything? I never liked '4 door' cars and well so what but you can put a 'crew' of people in them. Most will hold 6 guys so long as they ain't 300 pounders.....and the cars ride better than most trucks. If you don't need a truck, a 'crew cab' car will get the 'crew' to the job site. :D And if found a mordoor car that was in nice shape, I wouldn't be too proud to drive it.

Do we all need to be 'PC' on everything? I never liked '4 door' cars and well so what but you can put a 'crew' of people in them. Most will hold 6 guys so long as they ain't 300 pounders.....and the cars ride better than most trucks. If you don't need a truck, a 'crew cab' car will get the 'crew' to the job site. :D And if found a mordoor car that was in nice shape, I wouldn't be too proud to drive it.
I agree Cranky, why the need for ‘PC’ on every thing.

No.

I don’t know if it’s because I’m a young guy, and I feel honored and lucky to be around, own and work on these cars. Or if it was how I was raised. I’ve never felt the need to criticize, and he super picky on what people say about their cars. Of course there’s obvious posi, sure grip, safety track kinda stuff. But just overall I don’t care. Whatever makes you happy.

Things have a specific name for a reason. Cars are NOT "crew cabs" despite your rationale to the contrary. Sedans are four-door cars. Crew Cabs are four-door trucks. How ******* hard is this??? Using the right term for things is important. Words matter.

Things have a specific name for a reason. Cars are NOT "crew cabs" despite your rationale to the contrary. Sedans are four-door cars. Crew Cabs are four-door trucks. How ******* hard is this??? Using the right term for things is important. Words matter.
Where did you get your sense of humor? Because you need to go back for a refund. These cars are suppose to be fun, have a laugh and enjoy things.

Just me I reckon, never been bothered by nicknames. On the other hand, all the PC stuff that’s been going on has been irritating. All the name changing to appease, deleting Indian handles or dead generals perceived as offensive. IMO, why? Oh, a sports team having the Warriors or Chiefs as part of their handle is offensive? Geezuz, my old HS mascot was ‘Indians’ for 75 years that had to be deleted for some odd bird handle now. How daa eff is THIS offensive and why is this any priority with all da chit going on?

Just read an article renaming the murder hornet to something like great northern hornet. Well, the reason is there was some relationship with protecting Asians from being attacked since, well, this friggin insect came from there and murder is too scary. Did I mention what daa eff?

I digress from the post, my apologies. BTW, never was a fan of station wagons; but like a bunch of ‘em today.

I never heard a family sedan classed as a crew cab. Ive heard of mordoors.

I never heard a family sedan classed as a crew cab. Ive heard of mordoors.
I just thought it was a funnier term, I didn’t think it would cause a **** storm. I didn’t think people cared that much about 4 door passenger sedans (or coupes.) I wonder if there’s anyone here working on a concours restoration of one, are they starting to be treated as hemi or a12 cars now? Are we finally in the rebirth of the 4 door passenger sedan/coupe!
:rofl:

Watching the series Supernatural, was thinking they selected a 4-door Impala over a 2-door as the coveted ride from their dad? Guess they needed to make it easier for the vampires to get in back. Might have been easier/cheaper to find 4-doors as I think they crashed a few. Winchester (Jensen Akles) apparently wanted to take the car as a keepsake when the series ended. Reckon it made some 4-door fans.

I just thought it was a funnier term, I didn’t think it would cause a **** storm. I didn’t think people cared that much about 4 door passenger sedans (or coupes.) I wonder if there’s anyone here working on a concours restoration of one, are they starting to be treated as hemi or a12 cars now? Are we finally in the rebirth of the 4 door passenger sedan/coupe!
:rofl:
Here's mine. 1964 Polara 4-door hardtop built in Windsor, Ontario. It has optional Canada-only "Sports Package" that gave it factory front bucket seats and console. I wasn't really looking for a "mordoor", but the unusual interior reeled me in. I have owned it since 1980. It has been "fixed up" a couple of times, but this time is getting the restoration it deserves. We took our kids to Disney World in Florida from here in Ontario in 1983, and years later, my daughter got her driver's license in it. I have had people tell me they have never seen one of these before.

1964 Dodge.jpg

P6130015.JPG

P6130006.JPG

Screenshot_20220314-172246_kindlephoto-39070909.png

Here's mine. 1964 Polara 4-door hardtop built in Windsor, Ontario. It has optional Canada-only "Sports Package" that gave it factory front bucket seats and console. I wasn't really looking for a "mordoor", but the unusual interior reeled me in. I have owned it since 1980. It has been "fixed up" a couple of times, but this time is getting the restoration it deserves. We took our kids to Disney World in Florida from here in Ontario in 1983, and years later, my daughter got her driver's license in it. I have had people tell me they have never seen one of these before.

View attachment 1319651

View attachment 1319652

View attachment 1319655

View attachment 1319656
Very cool, sadly I had to sell my satellite, but it was to help buy my house. It was that or my GTX, and the GTX is a way better car to keep

In 1967 .... I owned a '65 GTO tri-Power 4 speed.
115 and got scared LOL ... may have been the request (maybe order) to pull over

Last edited:
I laughed when I first saw mordoor as a reference to a 4 door sedan. I thought it was a clever word play on J. R. R. Tolkien's fictional world of Middle-earth, Mordor is the realm and base of the evil Sauron.

Auto Transport Service
Back