• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your CO plan ?

Aarons Air

Local time
2:58 PM
Reaction score
The title should read, co, not co2. My mistake. Fall weather, and the beginning of heating season are here. For those of us heating our homes with gas, it is important to have carbon monoxide detectors installed. The older a gas furnace becomes, the more prone it is to developing a cracked heat exchanger. This can allow co to mix in the air stream. Most of us are aware of co dangers, and have detectors, but have you ever thought out your plan if the alarm goes off ? Open windows ? Crawl out of house ? Shut it off, and go back to bed ? This is an odorless silent killer. Not to be overlooked. Whats your plan, if you here the beep ?

Last edited:
I believe CO is heavier than air so you wouldn't want to crawl on the floor.

Last edited:
It kills more people then one would think. I can’t speak for everywhere but up here it’s a pretty common way to die.
We have four smoke detectors and two gas alarms in our house.
I worked in a house doing renovations one time and their wood burning stove would back draft and gas the house. They ultimately fixed it but I couldn’t believe that they just relied on the gas alarm to warn them. I wouldn’t have been able to sleep until I fixed the problem.
About three years ago a couple was killed here, and my buddies uncle died with three others from gas. There’s been many more but those are the ones I knew personally.

I believe co2 is heavier than air so you wouldn't want to crawl on the floor.
So then why are the majority of them installed on the ceiling, or built into the smoke detector, which is on the ceiling?

My CO's are plugged into wall receptacles... 16" up on all three floors. I've never had a wood stove or fireplace (we have three) set one off. Oil furnace smoldering and back drafting another story. Most don't wake up by the time an alarm goes off....

Last edited:
Back in Missouri I heated with wood burning stove 100%, yes the old cast iron one in the house. Every so often, the co2 detector would sing!! Maybe false alarm or not.

My system is a year old.
I sleep fine.

I already have a CO detector.
Now I'll be installing CO-Vid detectors.

CO (Carbon monoxide) is a silent killer. Back in my flatting days in London, we had a gas water heater in the kitchen The unit had not been serviced for a very long time - if ever, and the CO emissions were intensifying with usage. One of my Aussie flatmates said one night that his eyes were starting to sting a bit, and so we opened the window...even though it was freezing outside. His eyes got a bit better almost immediately. It was then that we all noticed how tired we were at the end of each day when cooking and generally all together in the kitchen area. After talking to a colleague at work, he suggested the boiler might be the problem.

A call to the Landlord, and the servicing was done. Everyone felt much better after that. The Technician said we were very lucky, as the levels of CO were at the upper limits. From then on I have always been wary of CO and exhaust gases in confined spaces.

A few years back, my co detector started going off. My furnace sets in my basement, and the flue travels through a partial crawl space area. The flue pipe section in the crawl had rusted out to the point of co coming up into the house.

I've never had a wood stove or fireplace (we have three) set one off. Oil furnace smoldering and back drafting another story. Most don't wake up by the time an alarm goes off....

The reason this wood stove set the detector off in this case was because the house was a new airtight house. When they used the wood stove the draft was so strong it pulled the exhaust back through their gas hot water heater.

Yah I had that stupidity in the building code when I built mine.. couldn't even have bathroom exhaust fans.. HRV only, but fawk them, I put outside air supplies to all the fireplaces. Even with that I have to crack a window at times to keep things going the correct way!

Now that the above is squared away; thank you @kiwigtx

I'll try not to oversimplify...

The CO detectors are high up in rooms because CO is slightly lighter than air.

Screenshot_20201021-164134~3.png

CO is particularly dangerous because CO robs the air of oxygen to form CO2...we need oxygen to live! All that other stuff in air, like nitrogen, are not harmful; but don't keep us alive and breathing. So, worry about detecting CO, not C02.

I heard that you guys with pitbulls should get a hydrogen sulfide detector. :eek:

p.s. STP is standard temperature and pressure.

Auto Transport Service
Back