• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your very first Mopar memory?

I love these stories. Mine is from 1964. I'm a high school kid in a small town in eastern Oregon and I'm about a month from getting my driver's license. One day my friend Charley calls me and says that his older brother Bill just bought a new Dodge and we need to go down to the Sinclair station where he works and take a look at it. We show up and there are probably 20 guys already checking it out. It was a brand new '64 Dodge Polara hardtop Max Wedge 426/Torqueflite, black with red interior. I was awestruck. I'll never forget how that Maxie sounded when he started her up. When he rolled out of the station and lit up those crappy factory bias ply tires, well, I was hooked for life. Later, I asked Bill if I could drive her when I got my license. He said "Kid, you've already been as close to that car as your ever going to get." I lost track of those guys when I graduated and went into the Air Force, but I'll never forget Bill's Polara,

As a youngster I always liked the big fins on Mopars hoping my folks would buy one but they had their cool cars too. They were T-Bird lovers and had a couple of '57's and then '60's. My cousin bought a '64 Sport Fury pushbutton that he raced around but that wasn't enough for him. He somehow talked his dad into co-signing on a '64 Dodge 426/4spd. His dad took over the Plymouth and took my dad and I out one night for a fast ride to the liquor store no less when the family party was running low on booze. He took off at a stoplight flooring it manually hitting the buttons and remember the tires breaking loose between shifts. Needless to say I was impressed saying please let me buy the car Uncle Rudy when I'm old enough! Well I was like 8 then so that didn't happen. While I had some cool cars including my '70 Cuda and '67 GTO drop tops, I always had the early B-Body Plymouth in mind. Being a convert fan I finally found a rust-free CA '63 Fury 20 years ago and still have it. As the story goes, the first owner of my Fury was an elderly lady who lived in Pasadena...yeah I'm hearing the old Jan & Dean tune!

At age 13 My Uncle Rob Bought a Brand New 68 Charger, And brought it over to Gloat to his relatives. He parked it in our driveway in front of our picture window for all in the house to view. Dressed in Copper/Bronze, with a black vinyl roof I noticed R/T badging on the front fender. I said COOL Uncle Rob, You bought a Charger R/T!! He said NO...... I had the dealer install the Emblems Because those are My initials Robert " Thunderlugs. " 68 is my FAVORITE CHARGER!! Turned out it was a 318 bench seat car. Disappointed!!!! True Story
A bench seat Charger?? I never had a clue......i thought all Chargers were buckets & console. Was it a black face round guaged dash w/ tach or rectangular sans tach?

Probably a buddy seat car. They appear to be bench seat cars. Lots of young memories for me...that have some clouded details. Others are crystal-clear.

Probably a buddy seat car. They appear to be bench seat cars. Lots of young memories for me...that have some clouded details. Others are crystal-clear.
Missle.. You are indeed correct .I mispoke when I wrote the story. I was the fold up buddy seat. Nothing gets past you guys! I Love It!

I believe all 68-70 Chargers had those as standard.

My first was and for always will be the 1971 Charger 440-4speed-4.11rear. I was in high school then.....

Something like this. Same orange paint scheme, pwr brake and steering etc.

Dodge-Charger_RT_1971_1024x768_wallpaper_01.jpg

1968 my father bought the Chrysler 300 in the top left part of the picture.
He bought it to tow the apache pop up trailer to take us camping.(also pictured.)
This picture was taken in 1981 with my first car (73 340 4spd. Duster) and my brothers 69 Dart with a 225 /6 6bbl.
Yes, he tweaked it.
The 300 was taken off the road roughly in about 1979.
Lots of great memories going camping with that car and camper.
Just before I bought the Duster, my father gave me permission to start taking the car apart to see if I could get it running again.
(I was 15)
I started working on the car and wanted to take it off his hands for free. lmao
Soon after, he sold it and that crushed me.
I wanted to get tbe car and the trailer back on the road to "relive my youth"
I finally got over it and bought my Duster.
To this day I still look for one of those cars but rarely see them.
Anyway, that was my introduction into Mopars.

Thanks Dad!

20161122_204913.jpg

1968 my father bought the Chrysler 300 in the top left part of the picture.
He bought it to tow the apache pop up trailer to take us camping.(also pictured.)
This picture was taken in 1981 with my first car (73 340 4spd. Duster) and my brothers 69 Dart with a 225 /6 6bbl.
Yes, he tweaked it.
The 300 was taken off the road roughly in about 1979.
Lots of great memories going camping with that car and camper.
Just before I bought the Duster, my father gave me permission to start taking the car apart to see if I could get it running again.
(I was 15)
I started working on the car and wanted to take it off his hands for free. lmao
Soon after, he sold it and that crushed me.
I wanted to get tbe car and the trailer back on the road to "relive my youth"
I finally got over it and bought my Duster.
To this day I still look for one of those cars but rarely see them.
Anyway, that was my introduction into Mopars.

Thanks Dad!

Bob, isn't that Dart a 67' ?

View attachment 374321

My bad.
It was a 67

Auto Transport Service
Back