• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wheel size for original rubber?

98 SNAKE EATER

Local time
6:17 PM
Reaction score
Earlier today, I was putting some miles on the RR and breaking in the new gears when I picked up a nail in the left rear tire :(

roadrunnerflat.jpg

Since I run MT Sportsman Pro's with tubes, it aired down pretty fast.

I was able to get to a tire shop right across the street and had them yank the tube, plug the hole and install a regular valve stem just to make it make to my shop.

Started scoping out EBay and landed a deal on a set of 4 G70-15 red lines :cool:

Anyways, I currently have 14" wheels up front and 15x8 out back

I need a pair of 15's and I'm debating between 15x6 and 15x7

I will only be buying a pair for now, but will eventually match them with another pair specifically for these tires and the 15x8's will be saved for Mickey DR's

Should I go with 15x6 or 15x7?

I'm a little confused on a backspacing, but I assume the 15x6 with 4" BS will clear the disc brake conversion I have up front since the 14's fit without issue?

The 15x7 can be found on many if not most 84-89 Diplomat and Gran Fury cars. They had 11 inch disc brakes ane everything cleared by a mile. It is the 11.87 rotors that pose a problem, but only for steel 14 inch wheels and some aftermarket aluminum 15s.
Great looking 'Runner. I'll bet it it easy to find in any parking lot!

The only Mopars that ever came exclusively with the small bolt pattern are the 63-72 A body cars. The small pattern can also be found on ALL 4 wheel drum 73-76 A bodies as well, but starting in 1973, front discs were becoming more common. The 73-76 front disc cars are all large pattern. Every b body has the large bolt pattern.

The only Mopars that ever came exclusively with the small bolt pattern are the 63-72 A body cars. The small pattern can also be found on ALL 4 wheel drum 73-76 A bodies as well, but starting in 1973, front discs were becoming more common. The 73-76 front disc cars are all large pattern. Every b body has the large bolt pattern.

Thanks, that's good to know :cool:

Apparently, my 69 RR had a front disc brake conversion at some point and used a mid 70's single piston caliper, but the 14" front wheels fit fine on the rear axle, so at least they're the same.

OK, I checked out all the wheel websites and they all have a 3-4 build time on these wheels.

Checked out Craigslist, but no dice.

Then searched EBay and stumbled upon a listing for four 15 x 5.5 wheels (3 matching, 1 with added holes) and it was about to end.

fleabayRRwheels.JPG

Didn't want to miss out, so I bid even though I have no idea if they'll fit with my disc brake conversion (time will tell)

I figure I could mount the new rubber on these and put the oddball wheel up front since I'll be running promo discs, then I can save my current 15x8's out back for strip use :cool:

The extra holes are there to bolt on the wheel centers normally found on the rally wheels.
5 1/2" wheels ? I don't recall seeing 15s in that width before. I thought that 6" was the narrowest they made, followed by 6 1/2, 7 and the rare 15x8 used on the Ramchargers/Trail Dusters.
Glad you found some. Too bad you're on the other side of the country....I have 3 or 4 sets of plain 15" wheels!

Auto Transport Service
Back