• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whelp time a for a clutch and need a tad bit of guidance

2blader

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:39 AM
Reaction score
Have a 69 Bee with a Barton Hemi with 730 hp at the crank. Had a rear main seal leak and yep quite a bit of oil in the scatter shield. Took the trans out to take a look and think I better replace stuff from what I see. Looks like some oil got on the outer edges of the disk and it very sticky. Flywheel has a small groove in the middle of it where you can feel it with your finger nail so will get that resurfaced while it is apart. It seems I have a McLeod BORG and BECK pressure plate and not sure if I wanna keep it. Never owned a car with one. Always had a Diaphragm. My clutch is a bit jerky in the car but not sure if that is the clutch being grabby or the camshaft in the car. Yea, its a snotty cam for 472 CID. Clutch disc is 11 3/4 in diameter. This car was built 2014 and hardly driven and have been finding stuff and correcting it for the last year and a half. Beautiful car but some stuff was done well not good. But that is another story and long. So the questions are as follows:

1. Is the BnB pressure plate more in line to what I should use for what this HEMI puts out?
2. The car lurches or bucks letting the clutch out in low rpm’s. Is that due to this style of pressure plate OR the snotty roller can this has .667 i .646 e lobe separation is 105 yes that low. Duration at .050 is .283 i/e. Wished it was a 572 to deal with the cam a bit better.
3. I want to cut the block plate in half below the engine block to make it a removable inspection cover. Any concerns with doing that?
4. If I keep the BnB pressure plate what disc should I go with since it kinda looks like this disc may have been slipping and comparing it to current McLeod discs it seems to be the lower capacity disc. Have to look into that a bit more though.
5. I seem to have NO return springs on my clutch linkage BUT read that BnB pressure plates kinda do that for you. Is that correct?
6. What is that round thing bolted to the scatter shield in the last picture? It was loose.

Thanks in advance since I come from 4 speed BBC Chevelles.
Scott

1E1015C1-29ED-44DC-91A2-F2C0BD856823.jpeg

888A5AD1-29B1-469C-913B-274C48EA0329.jpeg

9FBB2F40-D989-43C2-BE09-E024D0025C67.jpeg

3AFA1714-4BB9-41F8-A1B1-8545E5D3319F.jpeg

425F78C4-AC3A-49D1-B058-05E3B313B840.jpeg

02C2922F-9E37-4088-9449-AECA325ECDFF.jpeg

0D96DDAA-94E0-4D59-8CAD-70F7B6C49FAB.jpeg

Oil on the disk can make it grabby.
That being said, the clutch is nowhere near what I think you need for that engine.
At your power level I would say you need a dual disk, but ypu should probably get guidance from mfgs.
You may need a custom setup, depending on intended usage.

Oil on the disk can make it grabby.
That being said, the clutch is nowhere near what I think you need for that engine.
At your power level I would say you need a dual disk, but ypu should probably get guidance from mfgs.
You may need a custom setup, depending on intended usage.
Yep, just talked to Brewers so that's the plan.

Yup, not enough clutch there, you must have taken it easy on it.

Last edited:
Yup, not enough clutch there, you must taken it easy on it.
Nope, car built in 2014 and was never driven. Was built like this when I bought it. Long story about the car bought it a year ago and working out the crap I do not like.

Done and installed now to but everything back together. Where do you guys hook your clutch fork return spring IF you have an aftermarket scattershield. Mine did not have a return spring. There is no hole for it to go and want to put a hole for it before I reinstall. Thx Scott

Done and installed now to but everything back together. Where do you guys hook your clutch fork return spring IF you have an aftermarket scattershield. Mine did not have a return spring. There is no hole for it to go and want to put a hole for it before I reinstall. Thx Scott
Did you end up splitting the block plate?

I hope you had the flywheel surfaced, correctly, plus replaced all 4 components in there so you don't have to repeat the extraction sooner than you want. By 4 components I mean disc, pp, t/o brg and the pilot. On the disc, material choice matters for how it grabs plus does the disc have Marcel between the linings. Marcel is the wavy spring between the lining. Helps absorb the pressure on the disc when being engaged to alleviate chatter and being grabby. You can get a disc with no Marcel, have had those personally, but you can't dilly dally on the pedal letting the clutch slip.

I hope you had the flywheel surfaced, correctly, plus replaced all 4 components in there so you don't have to repeat the extraction sooner than you want. By 4 components I mean disc, pp, t/o brg and the pilot. On the disc, material choice matters for how it grabs plus does the disc have Marcel between the linings. Marcel is the wavy spring between the lining. Helps absorb the pressure on the disc when being engaged to alleviate chatter and being grabby. You can get a disc with no Marcel, have had those personally, but you can't dilly dally on the pedal letting the clutch slip.
Yep ordered a new dual disc for it so everything was replaced. We will see soon how it behaves with the weather getting better. Still have break in period etc.

Yep makes it easier for a few things.
I was thinking about doing that also, but I would like to go across the center hole so it can be installed with the flywheel in place.
Do you have any pics of what you did?

I was thinking about doing that also, but I would like to go across the center hole so it can be installed with the flywheel in place.
Do you have any pics of what you did?
sorry been a while. I cut it straight across right where the block ends. It also acts as an inspection plate.

6ACDC3E7-27B6-4D14-915A-DF6273BE559E.jpeg

1958D72A-2A30-4B07-BEF7-5C54D396E8C9.jpeg

Wonder if put a couple of tabs on engine side of your "inspection cover" to keep in place if it get wacked. It's heavy piece but never know. Did the rear seal det fix? If rear seal still leaking that's number fix. Sorry if I missed thaf.

Wonder if put a couple of tabs on engine side of your "inspection cover" to keep in place if it get wacked. It's heavy piece but never know. Did the rear seal det fix? If rear seal still leaking that's number fix. Sorry if I missed thaf.
Yea I may do that. The leak is wayyy better but it seeps a tad. Since I became such a pro doing so many times I will go at it again but not now with the nice weather. Besides my sons school is having a car show in April so the Hemi has got to be there. It has been a long way to iron out all the issues with it but I am patient. Still have things but at least it is getting to where I can drive it. One more electrical thing to deal with too. This car looks great but was a basket case when I bought it. I knew that though.

Auto Transport Service
Back