• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When it comes to cooling your BBM not stock engine

bigmanjbmopar

Newb with a view
Local time
11:30 PM
Reaction score
So what's the one thing I forgot to consider or change when I built my engine and upgraded my cooling system to dam near perfect but not quite when cruising in traffic on moderately hot to really hot days or nights?

The crank pulley is the answer. When I built my engine I opted for the bling yes billet pulleys seemed legit at the time looked cool but years later trying to identify the one thing that keeps my total modified BB from being at the right Temps no matter where I'm driving.

Pulleys what a science 1:1 or not 1:1 turns out the bling pulley is 5" and the water pump pulley is 6.5" hmm that's a 1.3 difference. For all you guys who failed math like I did what that means is the crank pulley is spinning faster but the water pump pulley is slower. Which slows the water too much in the flow of things at idle which is where my issues are. Highway no problem over 1500 rpm awesome 800 rpm for over 10 min and wow climbing and climbing and the hotter the day with the dense air and its all over.

About to put the stock double Grove pulley back on which is 6.5/7.5 and see what happens.

Almost went and spent 1500 on a becool but thought why I have a good ECP downflow now. Good fans good pump good stat good sensor.
Never thought to look at the science of pulleys until now.

Stay tuned for the results...

I hope it works out for you.

thanks for sharing and that makes sense. Will be waiting for your update.

Had a pretty stout 512 a couple years ago that would heat up @ low speeds; adding a shroud and changing the water pump pulley for a smaller one cured that.
Mechanical direct fan, alum 26" radiator, separate trans cooler.
Instead of running @ 200, it went to 160-170.

Auto Transport Service
Back