• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When it rains it pours.. Literally and figuratively

BeepBeepRR

Local time
6:40 PM
Reaction score
So Thursday I drive to work nothing is out of the norm. I get to work and do all that I need to do to get a ceiling coverup by the inspector. So right about time to leave this massive rain storm comes whipping through the area. I think it rained for like an hour solid. I decide to tough it out and jump in the truck and go. I start the truck and it fires right up, put it in gear then it dies. So thinking it was just a fluke I hit the key again... Spin spin spin no crank. Coast it through the parking lot to a safe parking space. Still raining buckets I sit in the truck waiting for the storm to pass. Massive amounts of lightning. After checking all the fuses in the fuse panel suspecting a blown fuel pump fuse or something like the efi fuse being bad everything checks out. So the rain is still coming down and I decide to get out and look at the fuse panel under the hood. All of those fuses are good. I get my kid to turn the key while I hold my ear to the fuel neck to see if I can hear the fuel pump.. Nada zip... So I pay 135.00 to get my truck towed to the house. And go ahead and order a fuel pump to the tune of 359.00 It wont be here until 10am today at my local Oreillys. They have cheaper remaned versions but I don't want to drop the tank again in 6 months. So I'm just going to buy a new unit and call it a day.
Just adding this picture to show how much rain we had in that short period of time. THis is from the same area my truck broke down.

E9LoXEmXsAEH6as?format=jpg&name=900x900.jpg

Sorry to hear about your grief . Maybe you would just be better off with an outboard clamped to the back of the truck ..

Wow.
What year truck?
Sure it's lack of fuel?
Had a similar experience (on a sunny day) turned out to be a crank sensor.

Just curious, if you gave it a quick shot of starting fluid in the air intake, would the engine fire up?
I know these models do have fuel guage issues.
FYI. This guy in video accesses (butchers) the assembly from above without dropping the tank, by expanding the opening.

I'll just drop the tank.. Not that big of a deal. Won't even need to lift the truck there is plenty of space to drop it.. And it only has a quarter tank of gas. So that helps.

IMG_4762[1].JPG

If that is the first time it happened you can normally get it running by simply kicking the gas tank.. Had many vehicles over the years where this has prevented me from towing any of them...

If that is the first time it happened you can normally get it running by simply kicking the gas tank.. Had many vehicles over the years where this has prevented me from towing any of them...
I went under the truck and beat the snot out of the tank thinking the same thing. Not even a peep out of it. I got lazy since it is a sort of forced 3 day weekend. I went and bought the new one took the wife car for an emissions test and came home and fell asleep. lol

Well I am a little pissed because I tried every thing I could think of to see if the fuel pump was pumping. Here is the gigantic kick in the balls. I went and picked up the new one this morning. I pulled the connector off the in tank one and plugged it into the new one. I hit the key and it ran so nothing wrong with relays and whatnot. So I plug it back into the in tank one and call my kid out to turn the key while I put my ear to the bottom of the tank. Low and behold it was running but very fast. The gas hand was reading 1/4 tank. So apparently I was out of gas. So I put about 3 gallons of lawnmower gas in it and it fired right the hell up. So I took the pump back to get my refund. 135.00 wrecker ride. I didn't want to put gas in it if I had to drop the tank so It never dawned on me that the gas gauge would stick at 1/4 tank. Lesson learned. 1/2 tank its getting filled up. It wont happen again unless the fuel pump actually goes out.

Auto Transport Service
Back