• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When LIFE gets in the way of the car projects.....

I thought (foolishly) that I could hone and re-ring a 383 and drop it in my Scamp. I did, but it runs like **** on LOW compression. Now I need to pull it and send to machine shop to be bored with tons of other stuff taking priority. Back to square one.

I think I will always have projects unfinished, that is what we do. I do not think I ever want to be done.
What comes after that ? I just dont see myself feeding birds and going to am coffee.

wife says we can sell any time I'm ready........ I "finally almost" got the place the way I want it....... it all keeps me moving; If I stop, I'll probably die

" No need to hate where you are
at this point. You earned it."

THIS ^^^^^

Im retiring the end of the year. My car is done ,,,But I have some things I want to do . Nothing planned that takes it down more than a few days. But it isnt a race so if it takes a little longer, so be it.

I already have several house remodel projects waiting for me.

Explains why you didn't have kids. Need the old cojones to do that...

I knew in 1st grade there was no way I was having kids....

true story....... I was one of the kids who was very "advanced" at that age, and the teacher sort of gave me a job and sat me next to a special needs kid to keep an eye on him...... freaked me out, and I knew then, there was no way I would take the risk of having kids

......and no regrets

Greg I get your frustration, and even after you get the stuff done on your current house, then you will likely have signifigant time away from car activities because of your planned move and setting up the new house.

My advice is to not burn yourself out doing chores. Work on your house for two weeks, then take a whole week just to work on cars. You can do that; you're retired and your own boss, besides you never know when you are going to fall off a roof or something, and be sidelined.

I once took a break away from racing and cars to focus on work, and it turned into over 30 years away from the hobby. And now I believe, and feel lucky that I am still able to, and back again racing again, even if it is not as serious effort as years ago. Point is, particularly at this point in life, retired, you should try to balance the must do's with the want to do's because tomorrow is never promised.

Some words of wisdom

1B82E48B-D7D9-4DBD-B38D-81E972234F86.jpeg

My wife wanted an exercise room in the basement so I have been busy building that and working 60 hours a week, so I haven't done much car work this year. When the wife wants to exercise, far be it for me to stop her! I am hoping to get back out there after Carlisle.

20230702_125534.jpg

IMG_3442.jpg

Last edited:

true story....... I was one of the kids who was very "advanced" at that age, and the teacher sort of gave me a job and sat me next to a special needs kid to keep an eye on him...... freaked me out, and I knew then, there was no way I would take the risk of having kids

......and no regrets
And the collective FBBO group (and South Jersey) says thanks!
:praying:

:poke:

......and no regrets
I have heard you say that before. And I'm not judging you at all here man...AT ALL! And I give you credit for making a decision like that. Especially so early on. The world may be just a little better off if some folks thought about it before just popping them out(some, not all imo)...just saying

As much as i would have loved to try and do the work myself i realized running a business having a family and a car that needed everything i had to make a choice. Wrote a check for the car spent more time working and alot more time with my family. 4 yrs later i had a car that everything works i go in the garage turn the key and off we go. I do envy the guys that do it themselves but it wasn’t in the cards for me …… yet!

No offense, but you need to count your blessings Kern.
I do. I am thankful every day for the good fortune and health that I have had so far.
I am aware that others may struggle just to get out of the bed of their 200 square foot apartment to go to work sucking out toilets on jobsites.
I am glad that is not the life that I've lived.
This topic is relative to members here that hit various stumbling blocks that get in the way of enjoying themselves.
I wasn't dismissing the obstacles others deal with like Cancer, abusive spouses, incorrigible kids or high crime in their community.

As much as i would have loved to try and do the work myself i realized running a business having a family and a car that needed everything i had to make a choice. Wrote a check for the car spent more time working and alot more time with my family. 4 yrs later i had a car that everything works i go in the garage turn the key and off we go. I do envy the guys that do it themselves but it wasn’t in the cards for me …… yet!
I'm glad it kinda worked out with Worman, your car is amazing, and there probably isn't another person who appreciates 70 Chargers more than I do. They have been in my life since they were new cars. Unfortunately the guy with the 71 Road Runner V code car wasn't as fortunate as he only got to see his car from a wheel chair and died the next day.

moms Charger.jpg

I'm glad it kinda worked out with Worman, your car is amazing, and there probably isn't another person who appreciates 70 Chargers more than I do. They have been in my life since they were new cars. Unfortunately the guy with the 71 Road Runner V code car wasn't as fortunate as he only got to see his car from a wheel chair and died the next day.

View attachment 1491000
That was terrible.

Auto Transport Service
Back