• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where did you and your car go today

Actually, New Town was dry in 1993. The airport which used to be across Airport Road, now called New Town Blvd was dry except for about a 100 ft section which when it receded the airport reopened.
At that time Hwy B and Airport road were open as the cops were allowing only local traffic. I was stopped on my way to the airport only to find all the aircraft had been moved to St. Louis Regional.
Anecdote- the pavement used at the airport was crushed and used for the base of the new road.
Lots of fertile farm land were sacrificed to build their little Utopia.
Lots of stupid rules there. And its unincorporated.
Actually the land that new town is on did flood in 1993.

passed by the beach...was upper 60's today so had to wear two sweaters

6C246130-233A-4BA1-9D34-3059142F9100.jpeg

watermelon

Last mopar car show of the year. Larry H Miller Dodge Tucson. Really enjoyed seeing old friends and Larry Miller supplied free burgers and dogs.

20211204_102245.jpg

Went 2' backwards to move the weight on the tires. I'll do again in a month or so.

Weather was perfect today, so took my daughter out to a local cars & coffee event. The host it every Saturday, year round, rain or shine. Pretty ambitious given the winter weather here, but I'm not complaining. :) Only a handful of pre-'75 cars out there. A couple corvettes and a Jag E-type (with OE AC, pretty rare option). Didn't get many good pics, too busy chatting!

Actually the land that new town is on did flood in 1993.
I didn't remember being "feet wet" on final at St. Charles Airport so I did some research.
A member of the New Town board says it did not flood in 93. The canals and lakes were built to raise the rest of the area so it won't flood in the future.
There may have been standing rain water in the fields for a short time, as on the airport property.
Rat bastiges wiped out my airport.

New Town is built on a floodplain. In 1993, a lot of the land surrounding Hwy 370 was underwater including where New Town is located and is built on.
This was cut and pasted from an article.
The board member and Whittaker said, none of this land was under water in ’93,” they said they'd heard". None of these people can be trusted and spent years being litagated and I know people who went round and round with them. They had many problems in the early years. I'm done.

Went cruising the back roads around here today it was 74 degrees and sunny. Saw an old power wagon sitting by a barn so I turned in to check it out. Talked with the owner for about 20 minutes and discovered that we went to high school together. We haven't seen each other in almost 40 years. Spent the rest of the afternoon trying to catch up.

Went cruising the back roads around here today it was 74 degrees and sunny. Saw an old power wagon sitting by a barn so I turned in to check it out. Talked with the owner for about 20 minutes and discovered that we went to high school together. We haven't seen each other in almost 40 years. Spent the rest of the afternoon trying to catch up.
What are the odds of that happening!! A trip back can be good for the soul.

That car looks new!!!
Thank you! All-original, one-owner, garage kept 74k miles. '91 Daytona C/S AGS Competition Package turbo; one of 150 total AGS Comp cars built in '91, one of 26 with my colors.
Nobody gives two shits about an old FWD Dodge, so...it'll make a comfy coffin when the time comes! :thumbsup:

Thank you! All-original, one-owner, garage kept 74k miles. '91 Daytona C/S AGS Competition Package turbo; one of 150 total AGS Comp cars built in '91, one of 26 with my colors.
Nobody gives two shits about an old FWD Dodge, so...it'll make a comfy coffin when the time comes! :thumbsup:
I've owned an 1985 Shelby Charger and 1988 Lander Shelby. Both cars are at the top of my list for most bang for the buck. Even today I believe the Daytona styling of that era looks fresh and modern. I agree these cars are so under appreciated.

In 1985 I had a neighbor who was a ford Mustang guy. I got sick of listening to him about his Mustangs. I told him to go try a new 1985 Daytona turbo if he wanted to have fun. Months later he pulls into the driveway with a new Daytona. He loved that thing and beat it like a rented mule. The one big problem with them, if I recall, was head gaskets. He blew more head gaskets beating on that car and still loved it!! For it's time, it was quick!!

I've owned an 1985 Shelby Charger and 1988 Lander Shelby. Both cars are at the top of my list for most bang for the buck. Even today I believe the Daytona styling of that era looks fresh and modern. I agree these cars are so under appreciated.
I started work for Chrysler in 1986. I saw more cars at one time everyday than a mall does. The lots were full of Shelby's, Daytona's, trucks, and fifth Ave. Great memories.

In 1985 I had a neighbor who was a ford Mustang guy. I got sick of listening to him about his Mustangs. I told him to go try a new 1985 Daytona turbo if he wanted to have fun. Months later he pulls into the driveway with a new Daytona. He loved that thing and beat it like a rented mule. The one big problem with them, if I recall, was head gaskets. He blew more head gaskets beating on that car and still loved it!! For it's time, it was quick!!
I got good at the lift and replace head gasket swap. With three people I could do it in one hour.

I loved driving my 86 turbo z but dang if the transmission didn't break during a given month, it was a vacuum leak or an electronics issue.

EDIT- HARD TO TRACE vacuum or electronics issue.

Last edited:
You were lucky, many couldn't do their own and ended up getting rid of them and telling everyone what a piece of junk they were. When they ran, they ran!!! They looked great in my opinion.

It was only 5 years old when I had it, too.

On a positive note- one of the vacuum leaks ended up being just exactly the right amount to allow overboost and then sealed it's self before the computer shut off the fuel.

That was FUN.

...and that occurrence played a part in an acquaintance developing a device he called "the widget" that basically recreated that controlled leak in the same hose.
You could buy them back then, but they weren't aggressively marketed.

I remember a very good friend of mine had a turbo minivan that was a stick. His wife wanted it!! He took care of it, but still has issues with it. I was there during that time and I will say guality was an option.

Yep, factory headgaskets were junk. When I was racing them it wasn't a headgasket...it was a 10 second fuse. I could do a lift-n-slip replacement in the pits, between rounds, with hand tools back then! For my street cars though, I run either an MLS or the Mopar Performance 006 (I think...there were two, one for cross-drilled heads and one for non-cross-drilled) headgaskets and ARP 11mm head studs. Haven't popped one of those yet. Never did studs on the race cars though, because they prevent the lift-n-slip job!

I'll never forget a day at VIR in 2001, a Carroll Shelby day. The Man was there, in a Series 1. There were Cobras; Mustangs; and of course a ton of us Dodges. I had my modified 89 CSX-VNT that I had pulled the VNT25 out of, and replaced with a TEC 60-trim VNT turbocharger as well as a ported head, and ported/ceramic coated intake with a 58mm throttlebody (stock was 46), a set of Mopar +40% injectors; a Grand National 3BAR MAP sensor; and a custom calibration. There was a "parade lap" that all the owners could take part in. "NO PASSING, NO RACING, this is for SHOW ONLY" was the repeated, and LOUD, admonition before the green flag flew. On the back straight I'm doing about 90 and my car rocks side to side as Carroll FLIES past me in the Series1.

Well....

Downshift, and GO. At the end of what turned into a 5 lap free for all, it was Carroll out front; every single Dodge right behind him; then the Mustangs and one or two of the Cobras bringing up the rear so they didn't hurt anything. Us Dodge boys went back to our "area" which was outside the main gate in the visitor parking lot (unlike the trackside spots for the Mustangs and cobras) and fired up our grilles and started talking and bench racing.

Then, Carroll shows up. He'd climbed out of the Series1, unzipped his fire suit to the waist (it was about 103 on the track), grabbed a water and a golf cart, and made a beeline for us! He hung with us for 2 or 3 HOURS (the Ford guys were PISSED), looking at all the cars, telling stories, signing cars (including mine), and taking photos with us. It was a BLAST. At one point, he looked under my hood and got a quizzical look. Called his engineer over and said "did WE put that in there??" talking about my TEC S60 turbo. I said "nope, it's a custom" and gave him the info and specs, and the name of the guy who built it for me. Last I heard, he'd called the next day and ordered one for one of his cars - I believe his '86 GLHS Omni, which he had running with a Cosworth 16v head (not the Spirit/Daytona R/T head, which was a Lotus design).

THAT, was a great day!

Auto Transport Service
Back