• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where is the engine block stamp on my 1972, 440?

toearley

Local time
4:21 AM
Reaction score
I've begun work. Carb off, rebuilding it. Have ID on the manifold. But for the life of me, I can't find the engine block stamp. I've researched and it says to look near the base of the distributor, but can't see anything. Can anybody be more specific? I'm not a car guy, but am a die-hard Mopar guy -- doing my best to make this beast live again. Thanks.

Forward of the intake manifold, to the driver’s side of the distributor mount. A pad cast into the block, machined flat with the front intake pan rail.

dats right...should be h440....if a 72 block

Pics are from member 62 dart convertible's engine...

Attachments

• vbpgimage-1.jpg
    vbpgimage-1.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 131
  • vbpgimage-1_1.jpg
    vbpgimage-1_1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 151
Yep! Thank you. Not much there, I see H440 and what looks like a 15 maybe a 6 in the lower left corner of the stamp area?

You need to look at passenger side of block at the pan rail for your partial Vin#.
Look at cast dates on block sides along with cast # for block on Block sides.
The pad on top everyone is pointing you to is just the assembly date information.
Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back