• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where the heck is the engine serial number on an LA 360?

David Womby

Local time
6:32 PM
Reaction score
All I've read seems to say it should be stamped in the block on the left (driver) side of the block just below the cylinder head but I can't find it. Is it hidden behind the exhaust manifold?

David

Check under the front of the driver's side head - there is a flat area on the top of the block facing the front of the vehicle. First digit should be the year (8 = '78), second character is the plant code, and then the next 3 are the displacement of the engine.

I don't believe the VINs were stamped on these engine, at least for late '70s. I'm not sure about earlier engines.

Check under the front of the driver's side head - there is a flat area on the top of the block facing the front of the vehicle. First digit should be the year (8 = '78), second character is the plant code, and then the next 3 are the displacement of the engine.

I don't believe the VINs were stamped on these engine, at least for late '70s. I'm not sure about earlier engines.

Thank you.

But

I ran out to the car and I can't see anything cast or stamped there. Maybe the paperwork is wrong and this isn't a 360. How can I tell what it is?

David

20210319_192740.jpg 20210319_192750.jpg

One quick way I always used was to look at the rear pan seal. If the rear and front seals are the same it is a 273, 318, or 340. If the rear seal is different than the front it is a 360.

To find out what it is look at the drivers side above the starter... The casting number clearly tells you what it is...
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 5.33.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 5.33.24 PM.png

Sometimes the stamping can be faint, so start scraping red paint. I will be just below the block deck on the driver side on the front of the block.

To find out what it is look at the drivers side above the starter... The casting number clearly tells you what it is...View attachment 1086021View attachment 1086022

Thanks. It's hard to access that spot but so far I have made out the following

4006830-360-8? Not sure I am right about the first '4' and the last '8'. I can't make out the final digit. I'll have to get some of that paint off.

So at least it confirms it is a 360.

David

20210320_113207_019_saved.jpg 20210320_113207_029_saved.jpg 20210320_113607_010_saved.jpg 20210318_112708.jpg

Thanks. The engine is reportedly from a 1978 Monaco. So the casting date fits in the timeframe.

I still plan trying to expose the number on the front of the block.

David

OK, back at this. I have the whole of my front subframe and suspension out and took time to remove the paint where I thought the engine number would be - front of top of block on driver (left) side. Am I looking in the wrong place because I see no numbers!

David

Repainting bits (8).jpg

Repainting bits (9).jpg

Repainting bits (11).jpg

You’re in the right spot. I had a couple Lil Red Express trucks and that stamp is how you validated a ‘matching‘ engine. It tells a couple things like factory and 10k day number, tells what date it was assembled. I have no idea what engines got that stamping, seems they all should have. What are you trying to confirm?

I'd like to be able to confirm what car it came from. Supposedly it was originally in a 78 Monaco?

So, if I'm in the right spot, why can't I see anything? I'd assumed the number would be stamped in and visible after I stripped the paint but nothing.

David

From what I recall I don’t think there was info that would help determine what car it was in. IIRC it was plant, 360, 10k day date, sequence number. No VIN or anything like that.

Second question, no idea. If anything it started over just a little further towards the center of the engine, go inboard. The length of, it should be in the area you’re in. These were very faint stamps, don’t use anything abrasive to get rid of the paint.

You can just barely see it. Photo stole from the inter webs.
IMG_1432.jpeg

Look at the passenger side oil pan rail... Directly below the block drain, just to the rear of the motor mount bracket...

Agree. I thought they were just above the pan rail on the driver's side rear.

...unless it's a warranty block. Then there's just a blank machined pad.

...but should have other evidence, like a riveted tag under the driver's side front below the head, or the side of the block.

...unless someone worked pretty hard to take that off.

I also have a 360 that I don’t see any stampings on. Seems blank on the front. VIN pad also appears blank

These are mine. It’s a 360 assembled in May of 1973. I do not know what vehicle though.

processed-9cd1dd43-d5fc-4004-8b9d-1a3b75207459_kEWpTpzN.jpeg

processed-52b5db5c-e27d-4382-85c2-63c82bb0f153_1pT5aFEt.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back