• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to attach end of winch for 69 coronet?

thinman911

Local time
11:35 AM
Reaction score
Hi all
New to witching a car into enclosed trailers. I have driven on but want to winch. Where do you attach winch to front if the car and what kind of straps? A pic if you have an example.
I am ok on the tie down sequence just trying to understand how to hook up the winch. Thanks for help!

Front engine crossmember. Never on sway bar or lower control arm.

So like the front legs of the K member?
Can I put a couple short axle straps around R and L sides and then clip both together by the winch hook?

I usually drive on but if winching I loop the cable around the k member

I've never winched my 69 rr, but if it's like my 62 savoy.....
I tie down each side to the big holes in the K-member, and winch from one of them too. But I'm not worried about looks. If you are, long axle strap around the K, and attach the winch to that.

Hi all
New to witching a car into enclosed trailers. I have driven on but want to winch. Where do you attach winch to front if the car and what kind of straps? A pic if you have an example.
I am ok on the tie down sequence just trying to understand how to hook up the winch. Thanks for help!
Most of the time you would winch off the same points you use to tie the car down. With our wrecker and the old style sling the J-Hooks always latched on to the lower control arms. I see no problem using a control arm for an easy pulling rolling car. As others have said there are other points you can use. Its all about common sense.

Well, now that your question is answered, hows about some pics of what yer winchin??

:xscuseless:

Not the sway bar, lower core support or the center of front bumper, many good parts ruined from this activity.

Had a guy here pickup an A100 and he was struggling under the van for too long and came up all happy, he had it around the sway bar, which is on V8 vans only.

My trailer has a 3500# winch in it I’ve never used but would like to try. A friend of mine said 3500# is pretty marginal and I should get a 5000#. Is that correct?
I was sort of surprised looking at YouTube I couldn’t find what I considered a really good video of winching a nice vintage car in and out of a trailer.

Open the front windows on both sides and pass the steel wire through from the driver's side to the passenger side, pull tight and hook on.

:xscuseless:

My trailer has a 3500# winch in it I’ve never used but would like to try. A friend of mine said 3500# is pretty marginal and I should get a 5000#. Is that correct?
I was sort of surprised looking at YouTube I couldn’t find what I considered a really good video of winching a nice vintage car in and out of a trailer.
Do yourself a favor, and DONT buy a winch from harbor freight, no matter how much cheaper than a quality winch.
I've had four. (I know, slow learner)
First 2500 worked well for a long time, it just wasn't strong enough. I replaced it with a 9 ton, in a weather proof box. It crapped out third use. Warrantee expired. Since the box was configured for the 9 ton I bought another. Worked well, for a while..... but yesterday it wouldn't pull a 2500 lb Opel on my trailer. So, I boosted it with #4, a 2500 that is a complete pain in the ***, compared to my first one. BOTH of them pulling, I got it on the trailer.
I think I'm gonna buy a 5 ton Warn, and gleefully throw four hf winches in the dumpster.

The one I have now is a X-2 by Superwinch. I bought the trailer from an estate so I got no instructions on how it hooks up or works.

The one I have now is a X-2 by Superwinch. I bought the trailer from an estate so I got no instructions on how it hooks up or works.
That kind of info should be easy to find on the net. Superwinch is a nice piece. Hopefully it came with the remote, wired or not. I'd certainly hook it up, and find out if it really is too small.
I loaded a 3500 lb car many times with my first 2500, it was just a slow process.

I've never understood why people think you need a big winch on a trailer... Your probably not doing a vertical lift from the bottom of a ravine... Your dragging a vehicle that probably rolls up onto a fairly low trailer.... You might be dragging a car that doesn't roll but again, it's not like your doing a vertical lift.... If you can't drag it with a 3500# winch you should probably see why it doesn't want to move before you rip the suspension out from underneath the car...

Back when I use to drag a lot of junk home all I had was a 1 ton come-a-long..

Auto Transport Service
Back