• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to buy new gas tank / brand

19 69 GTX

Local time
10:00 AM
Reaction score
Going to purchase a new gas tank for 69 GTX. Lots of different prices and manufacturers. Any to stay away from any recommendations. Seen some as cheap as 110.00 bucks. Also was going to run a new 3/8 sending unit. Plan on running a new aluminum like from back to front and use a inverted flare fitting into new mechanical pump. As far as the back of car and hooking new line into sending unit is my only option a rubber hose.

Have you thought about a stainless steel tank? https://www.ebay.com/itm/403286197964?fits=Year:1969|Model:GTX&hash=item5de5bb06cc:g:0yUAAOSw4x5dXBYW

ACA6C3C4-2FDE-4F64-A591-C804156BE787.jpeg

FA237126-A1CC-4EC5-896C-BEB8EE5E26E0.jpeg

I would leave this up to the brains of the forum - but “stainless steel” - Do you want to show off your tank??

I went with stainless on my 64 Plymouth. I have not decided yet if I am going to leave it unfinished or paint it black.
Keep in mind that today's crappy gas with ethanol turns to water and causes rust issues much more than the real gas used when our cars were new. And it's going to keep getting harder and more expensive to get the non ethanol gas. Especially in the current political climate!
DSC01289.JPG

I went with stainless on my 64 Plymouth. Keep in mind that today's crappy gas with ethanol turns to water and causes rust issues much more than the real gas used when our cars were new. And it's going to keep getting harder and more expensive to get the non ethanol gas. Especially in the current political climate!

Political climate I like that. I may do the stainless route is there only one place that sells them. Wouldn't mind a new filler neck and gasket

Are you planning on doing EFI? There is a company that has an in-line pump inside the gas tanks.

I went with stainless on my 64 Plymouth. I have not decided yet if I am going to leave it unfinished or paint it black.
Keep in mind that today's crappy gas with ethanol turns to water and causes rust issues much more than the real gas used when our cars were new. And it's going to keep getting harder and more expensive to get the non ethanol gas. Especially in the current political climate! View attachment 1243426
Yes you’re right. I thought of that after I posted. SS will hold up much better with the piss water we have to use these days. What I’m seriously and deeply concerned about is when CA supposedLy goes all EV in 2030 and then the country supposedly doing so in 2035 - Yes you can still drive your combustion engine - but what will fuel cost?? It’s already $5 a gallon here. What will they push it to then? We need soooo much prayer and action to recover our Republic prior to…..

I have a 68 GTX and I went with a stainless tank because of the water that will probably sit at the bottom of the tank
and corrode and eat a hole in the tank. Great gas we have nowadays! Anyway, I only like to do things once!

My problem started when I was so busy working and running my business, that I had to let my 64 Plymouth set for 7 years without starting it due to a really minor issue. I was just to busy to work on my hobby cars. But I let it set with ethanol gas in the tank. The tank, sender, and pickup all got badly damaged by the rust and crud that the ethanol caused.
I always thought cars should have drain plugs on the gas tanks and the automatic transmission pans. It could make a lot of things easier for DIY mechanics. But, I guess it would help the damn gas thieves too.....

Political climate I like that. I may do the stainless route is there only one place that sells them. Wouldn't mind a new filler neck and gasket
I’m thinking there’s two places that sells stainless steel tanks, Vans is who I bought mine from. Great to deal with. Just make sure if you need a California emissions tank to let them know.

Auto Transport Service
Back