• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to start??? Opinions and Experiences needed!

Local time
9:58 AM
Reaction score
I've got a 69 Roadrunner rolling shell here in Tucson with a straight body and zero rust. I'm guessing it will take me 3-5 years of saving and spending to bring this baby back to life.

My dilemma...:confused:...what is the best way to get started? I've got enough money in my project fund to start getting some serious work done to the car. I could get the all of the bodywork, paint and undercoating knocked out right off the bat...OR...I could wait, do everything else and finish up with the paint and body work. I've heard pros and cons for both directions from locals, but wanted to see what the consensus is here on the forum is on the most effective way to proceed.

Some other potentially relevant info...

Car will always be garaged (not a lot of room to work, but garaged nonetheless)
All of my kids are 17 years or older
Available restoration funds will come and go in spurts

If you have any web sites or other references that discuss this, please share them with me

Thanks in advance

Do the body first. If you do the interior and driveline and have them in the car, then you're gonna have to work around them, and (probably) clean lots of bodywork dust out of your fresh interior.

Would also depend on your skills. Read, read, read! Myself, I would use the initial cash to accumulate the hard to find parts that are not being reproduced, "they aint makin' no more of 'em"! and the needed metal. The metal will be labor and time intensive, giving you time to amass more cash for the rest of the project. Always double the cash and triple the time for your estimate! JMHO. Got any car ****?

Something us rust belt guys dream of "Zero Rust".And we like pics.

I knew people who did the paint and body first then did the engine rebuild. They ruined their paint in the process. I figure get the car mechanically sound first and then do the cosmetics.

DRIVE the bastard!!!

Something us rust belt guys dream of "Zero Rust".And we like pics.

Amen to both!!! :yes:

I think it will be more of PITA to not paint it first, and have to disassemble half of the car later to paint it, but the REAL question is...how bad do you want to drive it???

Get the heart going...you can always drive it around in primer!!! :penguins paint pixi

Wow straight body and zero rust! you must be living right :eek:) my car was pretty straight but had tons of rust, so its been in the shop the past two and half years getting new metal. Never had a chance to drive it since I bought it. It demanded immeadite attention to the body, you have a big edge over me since you have the staight body and zero rust meaning you could knock this part out rather rquickley with the help of a good body man and do the rest one step at a time ! best wishes, love to see the car!

Let's see those pics!!, I would do the body and paint work first, then front and rear suspension, driveline, interior then exterior trim.

Bodywork first!!It's no fun trying to detail the underside with it all together!Besides you'll want to drive it,and won't find the time!

Auto Transport Service
Back