• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which cam looks better for a 72 roadrunner 400 stock engine?

blackcobrajay

Local time
1:34 AM
Reaction score
Looking to throw one of two cams i have on the shelf into a 72 roadrunner stock 400 engine and throw it into my 70 coronet to get it back on the road. Looking for the better cam for the smog engine. Car will have a performer rpm intake, 850 dp, long tube headers, 727 with shift kit and a 3.91 sure grip ( all parts I already had).

I have the following two cams already

-Edelbrock 2192

Dur @ .050 204int/214exh

Valve lift .420int/.420exh

Lobe sep 112 degrees

-Comp Cams 268H

Dur @ .050 218int/218exh

Valve lift .454int/.454exh

Lobe sep 110 degrees

Thanks!!!
Jay

Last edited:
I would go with the 268. Close to stock, the other is too small.

The 204/214 runs ok in a low compression engine. Really, there won't be much difference between the two cams. If the engine is in good shape I would go w 218/218...it will give you some more top end. If it's got some miles/wear throw in the 204/214, smaller will be better on the low end.
My thoughts...Fwiw

The 204/214 runs ok in a low compression engine. Really, there won't be much difference between the two cams. If the engine is in good shape I would go w 218/218...it will give you some more top end. If it's got some miles/wear throw in the 204/214, smaller will be better on the low end.
My thoughts...Fwiw
Will the 110 lsa have a noticeable lopey sound over the 112lsa cam?

268, I wouldn't bother putting the other one in anything.

The first cam is pretty similar to the one in a low performance 383 2-barrel engine. The 268H cam is equivalent to the piece used in 383 RoadRunner engines. This would be my choice. It is mild enough to not bleed off much compression on an already lower compression engine. It would still be OK with power brakes. They sound nice with a lopey idle.

Will the 110 lsa have a noticeable lopey sound over the 112lsa
Correct..it would have less vacuum and a little more lope. But a cam that small is going to have a fairly smooth idle, and should be fine for vacuum even on 110.

From my recollection of running the 218/218 in a low compression 400. It only would lope if you set the idle low. The 204/214 is smaller then a 400HP engine would have came with. It would only be a upgrade over a 2 barrel cam.

My engine man says pick out two cams and use the small one-for a street driver. But in your case I'd use the 268.

I have the 204/214 in my 8.5:1 361. It idles well well and has decent mid range power. That said, I am currently building a 400 for torque and chose the Summit 6400 which is 214/224. Both of these are basically old school white box cams.

268H would be my choice. Maybe advance it a few degrees.

If the engine were going to have stock intake and manifolds with tall gears I may opt for the smaller cam.

No
And what are you going to use instead of the Holley 850 dp ?
Nothing. Thats all i have. Just wanting to get it running for now. I have another car for sale for 25k and once that sells its all going into my coronet and the 400 will be stroked. Just trying to get it running now with the parts i have. The 850 was on the build 383 that’s currently in the car and tan great however the 383 sat too long and the headgasket seal was lost and cylinders sat with coolant in them. The rebuilt aluminum headed 383 had less than 3k miles on it unfortunately thats what happens when you let things sit for years and too many projects.

No

Nothing. Thats all i have. Just wanting to get it running for now. I have another car for sale for 25k and once that sells its all going into my coronet and the 400 will be stroked. Just trying to get it running now with the parts i have. The 850 was on the build 383 that’s currently in the car and tan great however the 383 sat too long and the headgasket seal was lost and cylinders sat with coolant in them. The rebuilt aluminum headed 383 had less than 3k miles on it unfortunately thats what happens when you let things sit for years and too many projects.
If you're selling one car and assembling this 400 to use in car #2, then going to spend the car sales money taking this 400 back out to stroke it for car #2, sound like you are expecting it to take a long time for your $25k car to sell? Or - you are setting yourself up for too many projects again?

Sounds like a short-term need on the cam in this engine, I would use whichever cam you like less.
Keep the other cam for a future engine that you would keep/use for awhile.

If you're selling one car and assembling this 400 to use in car #2, then going to spend the car sales money taking this 400 back out to stroke it for car #2, sound like you are expecting it to take a long time for your $25k car to sell? Or - you are setting yourself up for too many projects again?

Sounds like a short-term need on the cam in this engine, I would use whichever cam you like less.
Keep the other cam for a future engine that you would keep/use for awhile.
I guess he forgot about the site.....hasn't been here in over a month.

Auto Transport Service
Back