• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which company to buy from

Glew

Local time
6:55 PM
Reaction score
I recently bought a front and rear disc brake conversion from summit. When I opened it up its full of SSB components and most of the reviews I've seen say they are kind of garbage. Now I'm wondering if I should return it and get a kit from either mpbrakes, pirate jacks, or pst. Does anyone have any suggestions? It's going on 68 roadrunner

You will get all kinds of opinions, and here is mine. I have a 69RR and purchased the MP front disk brake power conversion kit, an upgrade from the standard. Basically they use parts from mopars from the 70's, so no problem getting replacement pads, parts, etc. I used them as they claimed to be the largest supplier of model specific kits. My kit bolted right on, EXCEPT I had to fabricate some lines to tie the combination valve to the system. That was an unpleasant surprise. Otherwise the kit was complete, the quality is good, the tech support was good, and the system works well. It also took the entire weekend to install the kit which was longer than I expected (I am not unfamiliar with automobile brake systems, in fact am studying for the A5 exam). Also, I bought the system for a car that I would like to drive daily, so it has a single piston caliper (they have a 4 piston and other upgraded versions as well) which I like as it's easier to service. Overall, I would recommend MP.

That's great to hear. I haven't really heard too many negative things from mpb and I believe them and pirate jack get their parts from mbm.

I recently bought a front and rear disc brake conversion from summit. When I opened it up its full of SSB components and most of the reviews I've seen say they are kind of garbage. Now I'm wondering if I should return it and get a kit from either mpbrakes, pirate jacks, or pst. Does anyone have any suggestions? It's going on 68 roadrunner

I bought the front kit from SSBC and am VERY happy with it.Installed a few years ago,everything needed was in the kit right down the the cotter pins.I have no problem stopping 3900lbs when I turn the key off at the finish line.They are manuel brakes,no fancy rotors either. So I don'y know who had problems with what,but I bought the kit from SSBC and I'm a satisfied customer.
I also put over 2000 miles a summer on the street with NO problems.

Attachments

• 6.16.13 009.jpg
    6.16.13 009.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 293
  • 6.16.13 007.jpg
    6.16.13 007.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 291
  • 2009-04-25-1531-04.jpg
    2009-04-25-1531-04.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 295
I don't have personal experience, but coincidentally just spoke with a guy on the weekend who has a very nice 70 GTX 440 with SSBC discs up front. He liked them.

Timely post with the new mopar magazine article On disc swaps. I have been considdering these 2 inch drop spindles the rest of the parts from a local part shop. http://www.p-s-t.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6408/.f?sc=12

The only thing I'd be worried about was header and oilpan ground clearance and tire size limitations.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back