• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which intake manifold(s) for a '76?

71newp

Local time
5:40 AM
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 1976 Cordoba with a 360 2-bbl. I would like to switch to a 4-bbl. Most dual plane after-market intakes are non-EGR. The car will not be smog tested. Do I need an EGR intake? If yes who makes one?
Thank you,
Tim

I think a good and cheap intake would be the stock 360 4bbl deal. You can also use the Performer if you have to keep the EGR. If the rest of the engine is totally stock, the EGR can help with economy and help keep it from pinging. It has zero affect on full throttle performance in and of itself. By deleting it you will want to carefully set up the ignition timing curve and pay attention to setting up the new 4bbl. But at that point any intake is fine.

You do not need EGR. It will run fine as EGR is emission help fox NOX emissions only. Stock TQ intake is pretty decent and cheap. LD 340, Performer, Performer RPM are all very good.
Doug

I think a good and cheap intake would be the stock 360 4bbl deal. You can also use the Performer if you have to keep the EGR. If the rest of the engine is totally stock, the EGR can help with economy and help keep it from pinging. It has zero affect on full throttle performance in and of itself. By deleting it you will want to carefully set up the ignition timing curve and pay attention to setting up the new 4bbl. But at that point any intake is fine.

This ^^^^^^

Been down this road before. I took a '79, 360 & added a OE iron intake with a Fed-Mogal emissions 625 carb, added a MSD to fire off a junk yard vacuum advance distributor. Dual exhaust off the iron manifolds. As Moper said, pay attention to the timing curve and the state of the carbs tune. This is a nice upgrade. I netted 20 Hwy. MPG's.
Just food for thought here.
You might also think of a small cam to go along with the package. Keep it under [email protected] for use with the stock converter and no larger than [email protected] w/Hwy. gears.

Auto Transport Service
Back