• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Mopar style?

rix66

Local time
7:40 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys! I picked up a 1946 Plymouth P15 sedan (custom suicide door car). It has a 1977 small block 360 and a front frame section that was added from probably the same donor car. My question is: The front suspension (frame clip section) needs to be rebuilt. How can I tell if it's a B-body, A-body, or even C-body suspension? The torsion bars seem to be quite long, and the tire track (distance between the tires) seems to be wider than an A-body. I need to query the experts on this forum. Thanks :tongue3:

Sorry but that era is out of my league. Sounds cool though. Can you post some pics?

Measure the length of the torsion bar. A-body is apprx 38", B-body 41", C-body 44"... these are rough numbers, but you get the idea.

are the torsion bars lateral(left to right), or front to back?
lateral is an F body,which is an independent unit, the other is a cordoba/magnum type, which would be tough under a 46 Plymouth. The F body was an Aspen/Volare type car. it is common to put the front unit under the the 40's cars.

I would hope he could identify the F-body transverse setup, making the question a moot point. However, if its from the same year, its not A-body.

Thanks for the help!

You guys wanted some pix, so maybe I can get them to attach. The car is all Mopar except for the interior and steering column. I built a trailer hitch and we towed a camper to a gathering about 250 miles (one way) away from home. The show is the "Frog Follies" in Evansville, Indiana. Neat show! They don't allow anything newer than a 1949 car or truck. About 5000 attendees - WHAT A HOT ROD GATHERING! Lot of fun. This thing is an addition to my 2 B-bodies and one A-body. ( the wife drives a 65 Mustang convert. - Haven't gotten her to see the light yet). SDC11524.jpgSDC11525.jpgSDC11521.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back