• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which muscle car is ugly?

I was horrified to find out this car existed, but in retrospect it is one of the few small RWD 80's cars. It's not uglier than a base Fox body Mustang. The lines are pretty clean actually. A talented builder could turn the image of these cars around.

The styling was developed for a more cab-forward car, the FWD/AWD Camaro that GM cancelled. One of the greatest missed opportunities in automotive history IMO. The FWD/AWD Camaro drivetrain could have been carried over as the performance version of GM's FWD passenger cars. The 90's could have been a new muscle car era for GM, and those cars would be collectible today. Instead they are either crushed or living out their last days as poor people hoopties.
Sox and Martin actually did a pro-stock version of the Mitsu challenger. I wonder where that car is now.....?

Don't forget the Plymouth version - the Sapporo
1663228414582.png

I've seen a 340 4 speed transplanted Sapporo/Challenger.

The only clues were dual exhaust, and aluminum slots.

I'm not a fan of the name, or stripe, but at least the 2023 King Daytona has 807 HP. They've managed to make it look like a stretched VW Beetle in this shot.
1663261830514.png

I'd be fine with that car if it was a Magnum or Coronet.

View attachment 1343040

See, not a bad alternative to the Fox body Mustang.

Cars from the 80's and 90's are getting hot, so why not the Mitsu Challenger? How many are left at this point? I don't think I've ever seen one.
Speaking of non E-body Challengers, have you ever seen a 1985 Plymouth 'Cuda? They built only two of them.
1664433997842.jpeg

This white one, and a red one. Using the same suspension and engine as the Shelby turbo Chargers, but without the Shelby name on the engine. Plymouth was ready to sell it, until Shelby saw it and said he didn't want competition for his cars coming from inside the company. And he thought the Plymouth name would cheapen it. So it was axed.
1664434132478.jpeg

My friend, a former editor of Mopar Muscle and a few other mags, said the dealer he worked at back then made a Road Runner version of 2 door Horizons.

I believe he said the made 14.

Speaking of non E-body Challengers, have you ever seen a 1985 Plymouth 'Cuda? They built only two of them.
View attachment 1349874
This white one, and a red one. Using the same suspension and engine as the Shelby turbo Chargers, but without the Shelby name on the engine. Plymouth was ready to sell it, until Shelby saw it and said he didn't want competition for his cars coming from inside the company. And he thought the Plymouth name would cheapen it. So it was axed.
View attachment 1349875
They made two too many,why drag the iconic Cuda name through the mud?

They made two too many,why drag the iconic Cuda name through the mud?
They did drag the Charger name through the mud… I could have had this instead of my ‘70 E87 D21 in 1985 for only $8000. I paid $1200 for the ‘70. :D
FCFB6D99-499A-43C3-AC41-45C2665E7B91.jpeg

Don't forget the Plymouth version - the Sapporo
View attachment 1342943
My dad bought two of them new, a '78 and an '83. He drove Mopars for over 50 years, but his tastes and mine were always opposite ends of the spectrum. Toss up for his favorites were a 1960 Valiant sedan, and a 1993 Plymouth Voyager minivan.

They did drag the Charger name through the mud… I could have had this instead of my ‘70 E87 D21 in 1985 for only $8000. I paid $1200 for the ‘70. :DView attachment 1349938
I don't want to name names, but I heard that one of our esteemed members traded in a V code 70 Challenger R/T shaker car for one of those Shelby Chargers!

70 1/2 Camaro. Butt ugly.
My friend just sold one for 40k,I'm pretty sure people like them. I saw Courtney driving a 70 and a half Z/28 on her new show on Motortrend,last night her and the car looked great!

70 1/2 Camaro. Butt ugly.
Actually, no the 70 1/2 camaro was a nice looking car. I owned a 76 Laguna type S3 for a short time. It had swivel buckets. It was a slug performance wise, but nice looking

View attachment 1349874
View attachment 1349875

Nope, never heard of the 85 Cuda. When it comes to these cars, IMO Chrysler did a good job considering what they were up against with regulations, the insurance industry, and gas prices. I'd like to own a Shelby Charger, or a regular one with mods.

Fury would have been a better name. Yes, I know, Fury was Plymouth.

I'd be willing to accept "Fury," but the "Magnum" name was current for the time. I can't recall how much overlap there was between the Magnum wagon and the Charger, but I see no problem with sharing the name.

Auto Transport Service
Back