• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which wiper motor on 68 hemi GTX?

doberjoe

Local time
12:32 PM
Reaction score
Trying to figure out which is the correct wiper motor for my 1968 GTX. Car is original hemi car RS23J, and I can't see anything on the fender tag showing a 3-speed wiper option. Car was a basket case when I hauled it home 43 years ago, and so I didn't have much to go on and nothing in the boxes of parts. Where else can I look for clues?

Did all hemi cars have 3-speed wipers?

Thanks for your ideas!!

Michael

Thanks for the idea...the original switch panel was missing from the dash. I have two switch panels, both with 3-speed switches, but no guarantee either one is the original from the car. Would there be clues in the dash wiring harness? I have the original harness.

My friend Chris has an original 68 Hemi GTX he got new for his high school graduation present in 1968. I can ask him what his car has on it.

Tom

My friend Chris has an original 68 Hemi GTX he got new for his high school graduation present in 1968. I can ask him what his car has on it.

Tom
A Hemi X for high school graduation? Geez .. I got shown the door by my old man. Time to go out and make something of yourself he says….. But I had 3 years of warnings so I guess that made it ok…

If my memory serves me correctly the Hemi cars needed the 3 speed wiper motor to clear the air cleaner. But, I'm old. I forget things. The same for air-grabber cars.

I have a 71 Cuda with the 3 speed wiper motor. Using the 2 speed motor comes straight out of the fire wall and limits space with a Hemi, especially if you are going with 2 Four barrels. I have a shaker hood and the 2 speed wouldn't fit at all.

I dont think a 2 spd wiper motor will even clear the chrome dome air cleaner ???

It won't. The housing on a 2-speed is too long.
Hemi Engine.jpg

Seems like most 68 3-speed motors are the half black can style.

Did the gold anodized barrel style start in late 68 model year (spring/summer 1969)?

Last edited:
Seems like most 68 3-speed motors are the half block can style.

Did the gold anodized barrel style start in late 68 model year (spring/summer 1969)?
I've seen both styles used on a 68.. My 68 440 R/T is a fairly early build 9/67 and it has the newer style motor...
wiper motor.jpg

A Hemi X for high school graduation? Geez .. I got shown the door by my old man. Time to go out and make something of yourself he says….. But I had 3 years of warnings so I guess that made it ok…

His brother got a 65 Shelby GT350 when he graduated high school and he still owns it today. I think I got a $50 bill. LOL

Tom

If my memory serves me correctly the Hemi cars needed the 3 speed wiper motor to clear the air cleaner. But, I'm old. I forget things. The same for air-grabber cars.
aha, that's probably it...will put the 2 speed motor there and have a look-see at where the air cleaner will go...good plan!

also, probably the reason the 1968 shop manual shows only the 3-speed wiring diagram for "hemi only", whereas the Belvedere-Satellite diagram shows both.

My GTX is June 4, 1968 build date, also St. Louis plant.

Auto Transport Service
Back