• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who else can't sleep?

One trick I learned to get back to sleep when the mind is racing is to ask yourself, 'what is the next thing I'm going to think about?' It sounded dumb when I heard it but it can work if you actually do it. It encourages the brain to focus on one thing and that thing is something positive and restful because you forced yourself to think of it instead of your impending responsibilities and duties that are cycling through your brain. Try it.

I'm not even going to share my "car list". It would be embarrassing by comparison to most of you guys. Besides I drove a company car for the first 24+ years of my career. Didn't have much need for extra vehicles or time to fool w/them. So I still just stay with my "One and Only" The 68 GTX for 48 years - that was that and there'll never be another.

Now on the sleep front I can chime in on that. After college and into corp america things did change. As many of you have the "can't shut your mind off" problem, so did I. For decades. Many of us have this from our work - and I did too. Being in the sales field at the beginning is was reasonable. Then the more experienced I got the less sleep I got. In sales there truly is no rest day or night. You're always racing in your mind on one deal to the next and way beyond thinking ahead and trying to make sure you've timed everything properly so your set going into another quarter or next year etc. In sales if you're not thinking, planning and executing today, tomorrow and into the future properly you're not cutting it. But it also sucks you dry even if you love what you do and live for the juice - because you're in bloodthirsty corp america working for them who as soon as you stumble likely will be their to take you out. But i digress.... Lol

I tried many things to help with sleep. Conjured up root variations, amino acids like melatonin, on to pharmas like ambien and the like (until a sleep doc told me one day there were studies starting to suggest a link between ambien and alziemers) I dropped that like a hot rock. Then he put me on something more basic - trazadone essentially an old dead to the world anti-depression med not used for that any more - but was used for sleep issues. I didn't believe in it so i didn't try it for some time. When I finally did - a full nights sleep for the first time in I couldn't tell you how long. It worked so much better on every level than ambien or anything I'd ever tried. I was very surprised but now use it periodically and usually get 7/8 hrs sleep vs 3/4 out of other stuff. I'm a guy that needs his sleep but could just never find where it was - my whole family is like that.

On a final note - I'm on this site now a bit more than the last 12 months and somethings don't change. I might post on something or see a new posting at around 10:30/11:30 PST and inevitably an RC or MoparTenn is up posting at the same time! And I do the math and say to myself - hell when do these guys sleep it's 2:30/3 in the morning where they are!
Sleep is a beautiful thing and to be enjoyed and treasured because it can also be very elusive for so many of us.

It's the alien mind control in Roswell, NM :)
Or all the smoke from Canada.

Nice lists of cars.
I woke up, paid a few bills, and I'm going back to sleep.
Take care all of you......
"alien mind control" :)
Gotta have one before it can be
controlled.....

I'm not even going to share my "car list". It would be embarrassing by comparison to most of you guys. Besides I drove a company car for the first 24+ years of my career. Didn't have much need for extra vehicles or time to fool w/them. So I still just stay with my "One and Only" The 68 GTX for 48 years - that was that and there'll never be another.

Now on the sleep front I can chime in on that. After college and into corp america things did change. As many of you have the "can't shut your mind off" problem, so did I. For decades. Many of us have this from our work - and I did too. Being in the sales field at the beginning is was reasonable. Then the more experienced I got the less sleep I got. In sales there truly is no rest day or night. You're always racing in your mind on one deal to the next and way beyond thinking ahead and trying to make sure you've timed everything properly so your set going into another quarter or next year etc. In sales if you're not thinking, planning and executing today, tomorrow and into the future properly you're not cutting it. But it also sucks you dry even if you love what you do and live for the juice - because you're in bloodthirsty corp america working for them who as soon as you stumble likely will be their to take you out. But i digress.... Lol

I tried many things to help with sleep. Conjured up root variations, amino acids like melatonin, on to pharmas like ambien and the like (until a sleep doc told me one day there were studies starting to suggest a link between ambien and alziemers) I dropped that like a hot rock. Then he put me on something more basic - trazadone essentially an old dead to the world anti-depression med not used for that any more - but was used for sleep issues. I didn't believe in it so i didn't try it for some time. When I finally did - a full nights sleep for the first time in I couldn't tell you how long. It worked so much better on every level than ambien or anything I'd ever tried. I was very surprised but now use it periodically and usually get 7/8 hrs sleep vs 3/4 out of other stuff. I'm a guy that needs his sleep but could just never find where it was - my whole family is like that.

On a final note - I'm on this site now a bit more than the last 12 months and somethings don't change. I might post on something or see a new posting at around 10:30/11:30 PST and inevitably an RC or MoparTenn is up posting at the same time! And I do the math and say to myself - hell when do these guys sleep it's 2:30/3 in the morning where they are!
Sleep is a beautiful thing and to be enjoyed and treasured because it can also be very elusive for so many of us.
GetX'd....
Having had a secret security
clearance for many years, I was
subjected to drug tests on a frequent
random basis. So, thought it best to
avoid drugs of any kind. The list was
long as to which ones would
invalidate the clearance.
Working as a contractor for the DOD
required long hours spent chasing
almost impossible deadlines.
After so many years on that
regimented clock, when I retired,
the clock is still there. It doesn't
matter what time of day or night
I hit the hay, I'm guaranteed to
wake up 4-5 hours later. Something
else that's strange is I never feel
really tired when headed for bed.
I can easily stay up for 24 hours
or more.

Sleep is my most coveted joy in retirement.

Thanks Richard. My head is filled with
what left has to be done, not just cars
My head is filled with the same things as yours. All of the things I need to do, and how to do them. Even in my dreams, my mind goes over and over a procedure, to the point it wakes me up, and I lay there thinking about the same things. I love being busy, and I love hard work, there’s a great reward in such tasks that I enjoy, sometimes more than the end result itself. I just blew out my knee overdoing things on a job, and my mind is churning with all of the stuff that needs to be done, all I can think of it how to get things done without being able to stand on both legs.

At one time, I made a list of all the cars I’ve had, over 140 at that time, and that’s not counting the 100’s of parts cars I’ve chopped up over the years. It would take me some time to write down all the cars and trucks, so I just enjoy the ones I have now, and think of ways to save more. I’m in the hobby for good, and everybody that knows me knows that. And I don’t mind it one bit.

Gabapentin and car podcast of choice. Set to stop in 30 minutes. Up to pee too many goddam times. After working til 0400 for about 25 years, don‘t know how I did it. Can’t see to drive at night very well. Hell, I can’t even walk to the Station to get the Train anymore. I don’t even want to admit to some of the cars.

I’m the same as a lot of you are on sleep woes – on the plus side, I’ve come up with some successful ideas that popped in the head either trying to get to sleep or when waking up in the middle of the night pondering on some tough fix it job. Ya know, having wrestled with it for hours the day before on one idea or the next. Used to keep a paper and pencil on the nightstand to jot it down so I wouldn’t forget it. Now I use my phone.

On a sad note, when my dad was put in an induced state of painless sleep, it was quite weird as we stayed with him for days taking shifts to be at his side (I spent the most time with him being self-employed rearranging my schedule to stay with him) he would put his hand up along his chin. It was something he’d usually do when he was pondering on some project or fix. One night the nurse asked me if my dad was a mechanical or engineering sort. Kind of surprised me when she asked as he sure was. She said it may be he is thinking about some project he worked on that he is recalling in his mind.

Every once in a while, I have a dream that I am still back at work. Retired 11 years ago. Weird!

Every once in a while, I have a dream that I am still back at work. Retired 11 years ago. Weird!
I can run w/you on that one pal. For years after I retired I had horrid dreams about work. Honestly I'm pretty sure I suffered from a form of PTSD. Just been the last couple of years I dream no more about the corporate curse.

1702330182550.jpeg

I once in a while have a dream I'm back in high school. Because there was a mistake and I really didn't graduate. Then the dream turns south because I'm not wearing any pants.

Where is Sigmund Freud when you really need him?

Auto Transport Service
Back