• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has experience using the larger 11/16" tie rod ends?

I had a 73 Duster and a 74 Dart Sport that were painted up the same way. I jumped the Dart Sport 6 times. The highest I got the car was 11 feet of clear air and almost 80 feet of distance.
The Duster was never jumped. The Dart Sport was a wreck that I stripped out and filled with body filler to look decent on camera.
GL 2 ZY.jpg
GL 2 ZZ.jpg

I had a fake roll bar in the car...made out of 2 1/2" ABS pipe....

GL 2 ZX.jpg

You can see the "Stunt Dart" through the window of the Duster.
Good times...

I don't think they are the end all for improved handling. That said, I have run them since 1993 though. The tie rods were about the same price as the 9/16" ones. And I needed them anyways. And I got the tie rod sleeves from the junk yard C-body for a few bucks. They were still good when I took them off in 2011. The spherical rods ends that replaced them where loose in a few years with limited miles. They were connected with cool solid tubular bar. The bar is working fine :rolleyes:

I bent a ralley rim in the center going off course at Willow Springs in mid 2000's. Stock 11/16" tie rods and stock sleeve was fine. It bottomed out the shock and dimpled up the shock tower ever so slightly. Ran the shock for years later. Still good, just on shelf. And I had another rallye center welded in from a old 14" core. Oh well, all is fine now.

Last edited:
I had a 73 Duster and a 74 Dart Sport that were painted up the same way. I jumped the Dart Sport 6 times. The highest I got the car was 11 feet of clear air and almost 80 feet of distance.
The Duster was never jumped. The Dart Sport was a wreck that I stripped out and filled with body filler to look decent on camera.
View attachment 1306547View attachment 1306548
I had a fake roll bar in the car...made out of 2 1/2" ABS pipe....

View attachment 1306549
You can see the "Stunt Dart" through the window of the Duster.
Good times...
The fake roll bar was a nice touch!:D

There are some that feel that some of the changes we make have no effect other than adding weight.
I won't name the guy but a dude that used to post frequently at Moparts always came down on the guys that boxed the lower control arms, welded the seams in the K member and switched to these thicker tie rod ends and sleeves. He always asked for proof that any of it was needed and bemoaned the tendency for those that responded with "I figured that it can't hurt".
I can see his point. Why add weight if it has no benefit?
If one has a street car with stock sized tires and has no interest in cornering faster than "parking lot" speeds, the enhancements may have zero value.
If you have wider tires than stock, like to drive aggressively on curvy roads and want the steering to be more precise, the added weight is worth it.
I did reinforce the steering box mounts in the K member and install a Borgeson steering box.
Do you have any pictures of the steering box mount reinforcement?

Here is what I did for the box. There are many more additions to the k too.

90AC040E-9A3E-4D82-B0C2-322C1AD5C4D8.jpeg

BDD7A7AA-2A2A-46A8-9F56-E6630B130573.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back