• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has MOVED from their home state ? How difficult was it for you?

I live in ne Oklahoma and we love it low income tax and property taxes. Weather can be hot and humid but so is every state east of the Rockies.

Grew up in South West Pennsylvania. Then went to school in Denver Colorado and fell in love with the west. At 36 years old I moved to Nevada to start a new life. Now in my 60's got a place in Arizona thinking of the golden years.Maybe move there in the future.Family is holding us in Nevada for the time being.
Got a saying that holds true,"There is no perfect place to live". BUT there are better places than others.

I lived in Santa Clara 1989 to 1997. Relocated to Tucson. Been fairly content here, but Arizona is slowly becoming eastern California. It seems the Californian people bring their love of tax increases with them.
Statistics show that 200,000 people from California moved to Arizona last year.
Next move for us is rural Kentucky.

Youll probably never find another place with climate like Cali. So dont set yourself up for disappointment. But thats not necessarily a bad thing. Your dollars will last much longer.

Some people enjoy the different seasons, Id absolutely hate living anywhere that didnt have 4 distinct seasons and snow in winter. Fireplace heating the shop, taking kids sledding, hunting pheasants in the snow with my dogs. These are all things that can only be accomplished in certain climates. Or the unmatched beauty in fall when the leaves on trees in decidious forests turn golden. Or in spring when wildflowers decide its time to wake up from a winter of slumber.

Personally I may consider Tennesee. Winters are more than your use to but not brutal like upper midwest winters. Summers are warm but not unbearable. Plenty of beautiful scenery with lots of outdoorsy stuff. And the people are polite, (just so long as you dont sound like a yankee).
That's a great point, as much as I don't look forward to the cold weather of winter I always look forward to the garage time and the things that will get done.

'Dog,

Sounds like a grand adventure ahead of you! I moved away from home in 1987 when I joined the Air Force, and here in a few weeks, after 31 years, I'm moving back. To me, home is where your heart and family are. But you can make a home anywhere you want and make it "your own". I've moved 25 times since I was born, and have lived all over the globe. There are some neat places I'd like to live and try for a lifetime or 2; if only we lived forever, LoL.

Do your research. Figure out the places that meet all or most of your desires and put them on a map. List the Pros and Cons, then narrow the list. My recommendation is you take a vacation of sorts to each one of that narrowed list to get the feel before you make a final decision. Make your current home in CA one of the finalists on the list. My guess is you find the decision is obvious.

My family moved from Atlanta, GA to the DC suburbs in the mid 70's and it was quite traumatic for us
kids, having all grown up in the same house in the same neighborhood.
Two totally different worlds, really - and we all wound up moving away from that region with time, me
being the last to go in 1995.
Wound up here in TN (where both sides of our family were originally) and never regretted it.
The old stereotypes about both regions are true, turns out.
People are just more friendly and laid back here; up yonder, not so much.

Yes, sales tax is high here - but property tax is silly low, there is no "personal property tax" (just pay
for your vehicle tags each year) and most of the state doesn't even have emissions or a safety inspection
on vehicles, either.
Even more importantly, there is no state income tax, either.
I got a little over 10 acres up here on the side of the ridge just outside a small town; my nearest neighbor is
a quarter mile away and I can see for about 50 miles out in about a 180 degree radius in a line running SW-NE.
I've told you all stories of interactions with folks around here before.
I just feel like this is the part of the country I belong in; not knocking anywhere else, folks are just folks here.

What county are you in, in TN? I ask because like everyone responding here, we have been talking about moving and looking around as to where for quite some time now.
We live on Long Island in NY and it sucks - period. Weather sucks, people are nasty more than nice, taxes suck, and now the reason why we pay such high taxes- the school district is falling apart because it is run by the left who can't control spending and just raises taxes to pay for more and more programs that don't work - all the while welcoming illegal aliens in with open arms.
The problem here is beyond repair, as NY becomes more and more liberal, doubling down on stupid. It is a shame because we have great beaches and plenty to do. My biggest concern is for my kids - the day of settling down, buying a house and raising a family are gone for the youth and the middle class in general. Most 30 year olds are either gone, or living in their parents basement.
So, to the point, my family 3 generations ago and going back to 1810 was from Paris Tenn, in fact they were one of the founding families. My grandfather left after service in Europe in WW1 after getting a job as an engineer in NYC, so we really don't know any family back there. I have heard its beautiful but would really like to hear from people who made the choice to be there what the positives and negatives are. I can't believe the negatives are any worse than Long Island. Our biggest hurdle in my youngest, who is 13 and in school.

But it's been like that for 75 years.
There was a time the worst part of LI was concentrated to the 10 miles outside of the NYC limits. I grew up in Brooklyn, and when i was a kid my parents moved us away from the same thing we are complaining about now, by moving to eastern LI, which at that time was still mostly farmland. Now the sprawl has nearly totally consumed all of the island, I moved our young family further out and for a time it was ok - but expensive. Most of us get tethered to an area because of a good job and kids. Once those two things happen you become stuck, or at least stuck in your mindset that you might make things worse for everyone. At this point in our lives (in our 50s) one of our three kids is out and struggling, one in college, and one left in Jr High School, where the fabric of what once made the school district attractive, is now also gone, they are all open to going. The question is where.

I dislike shoveling snow a little more every winter but I also know there is no Utopia. I guess we Wisconsinites have a little tougher skin than some but I have been in most States and a few other Countries. They all have their niceties and woes. Death and taxes are never going away and I accept that too so I have no intentions of moving. Everyone cries about high taxes, the weather and there being a better place to live, but somehow don't give a **** about the debt clock spinning out of control more and more every year or what kind of legacy we will leave our Grand kids.
California has high taxes but low debt. To me, that is pretty damn spectacular with all the money it costs to fight fires out there. Maybe the rest of the country should care about that instead of pushing it off on our future ancestors.

Any place you are interested in...visit during the time of year you are concerned about (ie: TN in the summer to experience the humidity). Visit each area at different times of the year to make a better decision. Also, see what there is to do...local events, entertainment venues, fishing, hunting, craft shows...whatever the wife and your interests may be. and of course car events. Nothing worse than making a move only to find out there's nothing to do with all the free time.

I moved from Wyoming, so it was nice to get out of the wind! LOLOLOL Colorado is nice you should consider that, just don't bring liberal bs with you, leave that in Cali, its already starting to get stupid here with all that cali crap and the dumb voters raising taxes each election cycle, and its getting more and more crowded to the point if I can ever afford it, I would move further east of the front range where there is less traffic and people. We have some snow, but its nice most of the year, 300 days of sunshine, low humidity in the 70's to 90's once in a while we will break 100, close to mountains, its really green here in the spring and summer, if you don't mind the occasional hail storm or tornado warning, but if you live in the foothills that's less of a threat, but more for property than on the flat lands!

It took longer than I wanted moving to FL. Never looked back as it was something I wanted to do for a long time.

There was a time the worst part of LI was concentrated to the 10 miles outside of the NYC limits. I grew up in Brooklyn, and when i was a kid my parents moved us away from the same thing we are complaining about now, by moving to eastern LI, which at that time was still mostly farmland. Now the sprawl has nearly totally consumed all of the island, I moved our young family further out and for a time it was ok - but expensive. Most of us get tethered to an area because of a good job and kids. Once those two things happen you become stuck, or at least stuck in your mindset that you might make things worse for everyone. At this point in our lives (in our 50s) one of our three kids is out and struggling, one in college, and one left in Jr High School, where the fabric of what once made the school district attractive, is now also gone, they are all open to going. The question is where.

As bad as you have it on LI, you could have it much, much worse if you lived on Staten Island. Those people are something else!!

:rofl:

Born/raised in Allentown, Pa. Good place to be from. In 91 @ age 38, loaded the 69 Sport Sat with the Kirby and the Microwave and moved to San Jose. Earth/Mars. Walk out the door in December and it is 64 degrees. I know why I am here. Other posts indicate how I feel about most of the rest of it.

If you want low humidity I don't think anywhere in the hot south will fit the bill.
Unless you go to the mountains for the altitude climate.
But then be careful.
I've known many (older) people that have retired to the Blue Ridge mountains and then found out it's not for them.
They end up moving back to the flat lands.
The services, particularly medical, are not always readily available in the mountains.
And frequent ice in the winters makes travelling treacherous.
They aren't set up for snow removal like large metro areas around the country.

I've moved from Dixie to Seattle.
Jed Clampett come to town.
If you go to Seattle would it be "Cali-fornication"?

I HATE summer here.

Just remember, the grass is always greener.

o940k9svdkuqzcvcmnti.jpg

We are in the suburbs of Chicago. We will be moving out of state one day ! There are 156 people moving out of Illinois every day. We will be in that number one day! My property taxes are up to 8k for a 1200 sq. Ft. House. On a lot that’s 55x200. Good luck !

Growing up for 21 years in the Chicago area I can tell you I don't want anymore winters like that! I left when I joined the A.F; moved back when I got out for another 11 years dealing with aging parents, left again after 9/11 and never looked back. You are absolutely right about everything you said about your home state, glad to see that you seeing the light about it and looking to make a change, I commend you on that!
Even though I'm in NV now, it's not where I want to be, but I'm not there and life is much more content here on the eastern slope.
I'm looking at TN as well and would like to settle there. Let me tell you that TN is a humid place in the summer, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. They do have a change of season and if it snows, it's usually gone in a few days. Can you and the wife deal with that?
There's a lot of pain that happened in Chicago and don't want to go back. Let alone that IL. is just as screwed up as CA. with unconstitutional laws and cost of living, I just can't and won't afford that! TX would be just as humid but the lack of snow would be closer to what your looking for in that aspect.
I do miss the trees and the green the eastern US offers but you get the chance of more snow and have to deal with humidity.
I commend you on even bringing this up as I'm sure the fellow members in CA will now look at you as a traitor. I need to whip up a batch of popcorn and follow this.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back