• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has MOVED from their home state ? How difficult was it for you?

I hope Tennessee is better than Ohio right not, I'm sweating my *** off! Bizzare Spring here so far, we went from cold and wet to blazing hot for a few weeks then back to cold and wet and now blazing hot and humid again. Typically you get some beautiful weather in the Spring and Fall but this year has been one extreme to the other.
Naw, we're in the summer cycle too down here - hazy/hot/humid with PM thunderstorms sometimes.
It's a bit more bearable where I am here - elevation helps a lot with the heat especially.
We're usually several degrees cooler than the folks in lower parts, like Knoxville and Nashville.

We have Saturday through early Wednesday to roam about. Tennessee is a lot smaller than California! I’m so used to a tall and sort of narrow state. Tenn looks like we could go south to north in 2 1/2 hours.

We have Saturday through early Wednesday to roam about. Tennessee is a lot smaller than California! I’m so used to a tall and sort of narrow state. Tenn looks like we could go south to north in 2 1/2 hours.
Aye, you damn near could - but we're WIIIIIIDE. :)
I'm over a half day away from Nashville or where you're at right now.

Especially in a Hyundai rental car.

Here:

A2D41654-BAB8-43FE-ACE6-40A28A6DF9C4.png

Yes, from Atlanta to here where you see the blue dot.
Hey man... out in California I have driven through some serious traffic. I hear people talk about Los Angeles and Atlanta.
Pffft!
Northern Ca Bay Area traffic is what I’ve dealt with for years.
It all sucks. I’m no fan but until I get that Harbor Freight helicopter, gridlock is a reality.
(I would never get a helicopter from Harbor Freight)

I am currently in Alpharetta Georgia with the wife. She had business here. We were in downtown Atlanta last night.
Lots of differences between here and Northern CA.
Green everywhere. LOTS of trees. Road construction projects are common. The roads here seem worse than back home.
The following is NOT racist, just an observation.....
Hardly any Hispanic or Asian people. Lots of black people. Again, I mean nothing offensive with that, it is just different from back home. I saw no homeless camps, no bums walking the streets either. People are friendly.
It is humid. I noticed by looking at the listings on the phone that humidity seems to peak in the morning. Currently at 10:30 AM it is around 80 degrees with 85% humidity and it feels fine. Everyone in my family sweats so I am used to that. This trip won’t highlight the worst of the summer weather but it should give some indication.
Tomorrow night we are traveling north. Saturday or Sunday we are going to Cooters Garage in Tennessee for some show. Tom Wopat-Luke Duke will be there.
it's 35% or less humidity today here, it's only like 65* today too
still early be in the low 70*s afternoon
sort of cool the past couple days here

I just read the former Tenn Gov. is indicted
for putting a hit out on someone :blah:

I liked Georgia when I was there every year too
I like the nothern part too, lots of great golf
I wouldn't live there (no offense to those that do) :fool: too muggy

You speak of not being used to seeing so much green, that's probably one of my favorite things around here along with all of the rolling hills. I had a roof leak a few years ago on my garage, once I got up there I had to take a few just to soak it in.. I love it here. Tennessee from what I remember is similar, I really liked our trip to the Smokey's.
20190627_175105.jpg

Hey guys it is summer or almost! Most places (not talking Ca. seen it once,thats plenty) that means either hot and humid and NO wind, or hot and humid and a little wind, or hot and dry and lots of wind! Some places get lots of rain, some none.
Here is the city deal in the South. Not saying this as any type of racist, just fact. I was born and raised in SW Ga and moved to Mo. at age 31. Been there, seen it all. Take Atlanta for example.. In older white burbs, people start to die off and minorities begin to move in. After a few decades, just about everything inside the bypass around the city is minority. People buy and live where they want AND can afford. Black folk. White folk. It is segregated by choice or condition, whatever. In the "country" there is a mixture of everything and everyone pretty much. OK maybe smaller cluster of similar. One spot there sits a $500,000 home on 1000 ac and just a mile down the road is a single wide on 3 a.. Thats the country every where I have been.
You can find a meth head in the city or in the burbs or in the country.
Guy a know moved in from Mt. by way of years spent in Ca. He said he looked at a 10 ac tract a few miles out of town up the road, in a rural cluster (Subdivision) Plenty of open space there yet. The guy across the road came over and began to tell hm how he did not want to buy there, a neighbor down the road made meth. I asked what he thought. He said,well not paying $13,000 an acre and a meth head lives just down the road! I said maybe he told ya that cause he does not ANY neighbors across the road!!! Maybe NO meth maker there, probably plenty somewhere! LOL

Yes, from Atlanta to here where you see the blue dot.
Hey man... out in California I have driven through some serious traffic. I hear people talk about Los Angeles and Atlanta.
Pffft!
Northern Ca Bay Area traffic is what I’ve dealt with for years.
It all sucks. I’m no fan but until I get that Harbor Freight helicopter, gridlock is a reality.
(I would never get a helicopter from Harbor Freight)
I've done Atlanta and DC traffic for many years; both are reputedly the worst, but I tell you what -
the way folks come down 400 at 100+mph door to door is a bit of an eye-opener. :)

I just read the former Tenn Gov. is indicted
for putting a hit out on someone :blah:
Not exactly. Members of his administration were; we're talking about Ray Blanton here,
who last was governor in the late 70's, way before my time of coming here.

Yeah it's flooding in Mississippi other points east & south
& deluge of rain in others
Thunderstorms going southeast to north, to the midwest
with Tornado warning with it, mostly south

You speak of not being used to seeing so much green, that's probably one of my favorite things around here along with all of the rolling hills. I had a roof leak a few years ago on my garage, once I got up there I had to take a few just to soak it in.. I love it here. Tennessee from what I remember is similar, I really liked our trip to the Smokey's.View attachment 1122133
Yeah, it's that time of year - can't hardly keep anything from growing anywhere here right now.
LOTS of co-op "growth control" being sprayed from the tanks on backs of tractors these days. :)
I reckon that's why this state is big on farming - about anything you drop on the ground sprouts right up.

Here is the city deal in the South. Not saying this as any type of racist, just fact. I was born and raised in SW Ga and moved to Mo. at age 31. Been there, seen it all. Take Atlanta for example.. In older white burbs, people start to die off and minorities begin to move in. After a few decades, just about everything inside the bypass around the city is minority. People buy and live where they want AND can afford. Black folk. White folk. It is segregated by choice or condition, whatever. In the "country" there is a mixture of everything and everyone pretty much.
Actually, in regards to Atlanta specifically (but it did occur other places as well), in the late 60's there was a well-
organized and funded effort to "inject" minorities (read: blacks) into the inner city in large numbers - the goal being
to sway the political climate there and gain more political power.
It worked....and the resulting well-documented "white flight" that occurred in the 70's was all about just that -
whites left the city in droves as the infusion occurred and a power shift happened, most of them to the northern,
more affluent suburbs.
In my own families' case, we left our home in SW Atlanta in 1975 - and went to the DC suburbs, since Pop worked
for USPS administration and a good gig opened up for him there.

Before we left, the last couple years in our little Beaver Cleaver neighborhood went all to hell, with shocking
increases in crime brought on by busing and bad seeds moving into the neighborhood.
I had grown up with as many black friends as white, since our neighborhood was plenty integrated; race never
really came up in conversations most of the time. We didn't care....but the newer arrivals were a different
bunch for sure.

The worse things got, the more panicked our other neighbors got to get out and house prices dropped as
they sold out for damn near anything just to leave town.
It was just a damn shame....and last time I went with my siblings to see the old 'hood a decade ago, it absolutely
broke my heart. Our nice little neighborhood is now a third world country, with crack houses everywhere and
a total trashing of the joint.
I told my sister to get me the hell out of there and I've never been back since.

Now, was my description of all this "racist"?
Call it whatever you like....but it all happened, and it happened intentionally.

Local Houston news mentioned just other day that 2/3 of its residences are illiterate. I said WOW!!!! Second or third largest US city. Many kids drop out of school never learned how to read or write but were moved up the next grade anyway, white, black, whatever, many product of bad homes many times, many illegals that come in and to the schools that have NO ability to teach them from scratch at older age. Crime, inner city drugs, politics, many reasons people move out IF they can.
If I were to live in the East as in Tn. I would definitely look to the higher altitudes!!

A guy in another site warned of moving to areas with high illiteracy rates. He didn’t elaborate about why. My guess is that being around large groups of low educated people means more crime? More drugs?
I’m not living among Nobel Peace Prize recipients now but my town is primarily middle aged working class and white collar people. There are some high earners a few miles up the road...you know, like Richard “Big Bucks” Cranium associates with....

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back