• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has MOVED from their home state ? How difficult was it for you?

were tornadoes common then? I have some co-workers from a satellite office in St Louis and they got hit bad a few times, but not sure if it's that common compared to other areas of "tornado alley"?

I've had a lot of people who live in missouri report that they love it there...
The F5 that hit Joplin a few years ago, 30 miles to the West. It was BAD. It went over my place, but not on ground, paper and debris everywhere. That is why people have "scaredity holes". I had a lime sink hole if I had time and needed it. In the mid west storm shelters/basements can be GOOD!

We've had a few, never affected me or anyone I personally know. Joplin was terrible and my heart bled for all of them. I really can't think of a better place for me and my needs. I admit I wanted to move to San Diego for the weather, but after getting with friends from California, they told me to run away. I have family in San Francisco, affiliated with the university out there. They're moving back to Missouri after 40 years. No place is perfect, but, I'm from the show me state, so show me.

I will share, After almost a lifetime, I met the perfet woman for me, and she seems to think I am perfect for her. My two girls back in Mo, are totally indepent types. My wife has children here. Her kids are not so independent types. She is native Texan and has no desire to leave.
My opinion of Texas is everything here is way more expensive than Mo. People here are underworked and overpaid in general. So be it.
Thx - I’m always curious why people leave a place they love. Your reason is probably one of two that I would do that for. When I was 28 I had to leave my hometown in MN because having just graduated college (i didn’t start until 22) I had a great job starting as a trainee for a great company but when that part was over I knew the drill was to relocate somewhere in the country to start the real work. I knew it and accepted it from the beginning. When the time came I fulfilled my obligation. Unfortunately (I thought) they moved me somewhere I hated and wanted no part of - but I went. Not 6 months later someone retired in Denver which had been my first choice - They could have taken anyone in the country but they chose me for some reason. I went there, lived and loved it for 10 yrs. I never wanted to leave but it was unstable back in those days in terms of what I did. Ultimately I was forced to leave there for work again. I had 3 offers for which I really worked the system to get. One - a very good high paying job back in the place I hated (Chicago), Hartford, CT with my original company or SoCAl with that same original company. I took what I felt was the lesser of three evils and moved here. I never planned on staying more than a couple of years but here I am 30 years later. I stayed because the business climate and opportunities here were unparalleled and I loved that. But from the very beginning I disliked the culture and so many other things about it. I’m just not cut from this cloth but I had to learn to co-exist w/it. Ten years in i to met the women of my dreams, someone I never believed existed until then. We‘ve been soulmates for 20 yrs and very happy together - but she doesn’t want to leave because of her family here. So again i have a conundrum like you. I feel stuck and trapped in this vile place - long retired now. But like you at least I have my dream girl. I’ve blathered on long enough. You and I both try to make the best of it and see what else the Good Lord has in store for us. BTW I did have a few chances along the way to get back home to Mpls but after being out of there for awhile - I could just never reconcile with those brutal winters again. They are what you think they are and much more….. But I miss my family and lifelong friends up there so I go a couple time a year to see them all…..

Thx - I’m always curious why people leave a place they love. Your reason is probably one of two that I would do that for. When I was 28 I had to leave my hometown in MN because having just graduated college (i didn’t start until 22) I had a great job starting as a trainee for a great company but when that part was over I knew the drill was to relocate somewhere in the country to start the real work. I knew it and accepted it from the beginning. When the time came I fulfilled my obligation. Unfortunately (I thought) they moved me somewhere I hated and wanted no part of - but I went. Not 6 months later someone retired in Denver which had been my first choice - They could have taken anyone in the country but they chose me for some reason. I went there, lived and loved it for 10 yrs. I never wanted to leave but it was unstable back in those days in terms of what I did. Ultimately I was forced to leave there for work again. I had 3 offers for which I really worked the system to get. One - a very good high paying job back in the place I hated (Chicago), Hartford, CT with my original company or SoCAl with that same original company. I took what I felt was the lesser of three evils and moved here. I never planned on staying more than a couple of years but here I am 30 years later. I stayed because the business climate and opportunities here were unparalleled and I loved that. But from the very beginning I disliked the culture and so many other things about it. I’m just not cut from this cloth but I had to learn to co-exist w/it. Ten years in i to met the women of my dreams, someone I never believed existed until then. We‘ve been soulmates for 20 yrs and very happy together - but she doesn’t want to leave because of her family here. So again i have a conundrum like you. I feel stuck and trapped in this vile place - long retired now. But like you at least I have my dream girl. I’ve blathered on long enough. You and I both try to make the best of it and see what else the Good Lord has in store for us. BTW I did have a few chances along the way to get back home to Mpls but after being out of there for awhile - I could just never reconcile with those brutal winters again. They are what you think they are and much more….. But I miss my family and lifelong friends up there so I go a couple time a year to see them all…..
You don't have a conundrum, you have a new life with a great partner, enjoy it.

This thread hits home with me. I've lived in Illinois my whole life, in the Chicago area. I don't like winter weather, but I'm used to it. Other than winter, there were no real big negatives to living here over the years. Until fairly recently that is. I'd describe being here over the last 10 to maybe as much as 20 years as being the proverbial frog in a pot of warming water situation. It has got progressively worse, but day to day the change isn't apparent, it is only when you contrast todays situation to the past you realize how bad it has got.
I feel like the water is starting to boil!!!!
I've had in mind I'd like to move to Tennessee, most attractive area to me being Nashville primarily because I have local friends who've moved to that area, on top of some car friends live there.
I have felt sort of stuck here though, because my mom lives in my area in assisted living, and I've felt like I can't do anything until she is gone.
However, the situation is getting such that I don't feel like I can stay. As I mentioned before, the water in the pot is reaching boiling! Latest insult being new gun laws that might make me a felon, ironically at the same time they are making life easier and easier for the real criminals in the name of being more equitable or whatever dumb excuse they are using for tossing them back on the street as fast as the cops can arrest them. And not surprisingly, the criminals are becoming more emboldened and their mayhem has expanded well beyond the handful of bad neighborhoods to all of the city and out into the burbs. I started a thread here in November about waking up to the sound of gunshots when some thug trying to steal a car shot at a guy heading out the door to walk the dog. Something like that would have been unheard of in my area until the last couple years!
So I'm thinking now of starting to look at Northwest Indiana. Nothing seems especially attractive about that area, however, I could still get to my mom's place in an hour or so. And I have coworkers who live there and manage to drive to the office. It's 50+ miles and traffic is a PITA, but it is doable. And I'm not planning to work much longer anyway.
I'd also be close enough to still participate in some of the Chicago area car shows I've enjoyed going to over the years.
Of course when my mom passes, I'd be wanting to move again. She will turn 89 this weekend. She is in fairly good health, but you never know if she will live a few more months or another 7 or 8 years. My woke narcissist sister and her equally self absorbed husband moved from the area to Michigan last year, so I am the one nearby to help my mom out, and no doubt that will become a situation where she will need more and more of my help.

Last edited:
This thread hits home with me. I've lived in Illinois my whole life, in the Chicago area. I don't like winter weather, but I'm used to it. Other than winter, there were no real big negatives to living here over the years. Until fairly recently that is. I'd describe being here over the last 10 to maybe as much as 20 years as being the proverbial frog in a pot of warming water situation. It has got progressively worse, but day to day the change isn't apparent, it is only when you contrast todays situation to the past you realize how bad it has got.
I've had in mind I'd like to move to Tennessee, most attractive area to me being Nashville primarily because I have local friends who've moved to that area, on top of some car friends live there.
I have felt sort of stuck here though, because my mom lives in my area in assisted living, and I've felt like I can't do anything until she is gone.
However, the situation is getting such that I don't feel like I can stay. As I mentioned before, the water in the pot is reaching boiling! Latest insult being new gun laws that might make me a felon, ironically at the same time they are making life easier and easier for the real criminals in the name of being more equitable or whatever dumb excuse they are using for tossing them back on the street as fast as the cops can arrest them. And not surprisingly, the criminals are becoming more emboldened and their mayhem has expanded well beyond the handful of bad neighborhoods to all of the city and out into the burbs. I started a thread here in November about waking up to the sound of gunshots when some thug trying to steal a car shot at a guy heading out the door to walk the dog. Something like that would have been unheard of in my area until the last couple years!
So I'm thinking now of starting to look at Northwest Indiana. Nothing seems especially attractive about that area, however, I could still get to my mom's place in an hour or so. And I have coworkers who live there and manage to drive to the office. It's 50+ miles and traffic is a PITA, but it is doable. And I'm not planning to work much longer anyway.
I'd also be close enough to still participate in some of the Chicago area car shows I've enjoyed going to over the years.
Of course when my mom passes, I'd be wanting to move again. She will turn 89 this weekend. She is in fairly good health, but you never know if she will live a few more months or another 7 or 8 years. My woke narcissist sister and her equally self absorbed husband moved from the area to Michigan last year, so I am the one nearby to help my mom out, and no doubt that will become a situation where she will need more and more of my help.
There are a number Of things about your post that also hit ground zero with me too. I do sympathize. We had a situation here the other week where a cop pulled someone over or for some reason stopped a suspicious car. When walking up to the vehicle the perp pulled his piece and shot the cop point blank. witnesses on the seen were frantically providing the cop CPR - they also called 911 9 times and no one answered the line. The cop died in the street. This just 20 mins from me in a “nice area”. The cops found the guy and let’s just say didn’t bother to try and bring him in. Saved the taxpayers a lot of money - but there’s one fewer to protect and serve. And a family w/o a husband and father. Can you imagine - nine calls to 911 and no answer….. it made my physically sick when I heard about it. All this stuff was predicted 3 yrs ago and it’s all coming true…..

Similar situations are happening in Chicago often now. 911 calls are taking a long time to get responded to because the police force is so understaffed. There was a situation recently where a bunch of thugs on ATVs and trikes were having their usual big funfest in a fairly nice neighborhood. Some woman got stuck by their fun, and tried to back up to go elsewhere and accidently hit one of the ATVs. They started attacking her and she called 911, shots were even fired at her car, but fortunately she wasn't hit. Anyway it took 20 or 30 minutes for the cops to show up after the call.
The cops are so demoralized in the city I don't know to what extent they even try to be proactive about crime. I think they just show up and make reports now.
Citizens are on their own to defend themselves, but Springfield wants to take their guns.
Time to become an ex-pat elsewhere!!!!

I feel for anyone in this situation, can't imagine! Sounds like having a talk with your mother about her coming with you to a local assisted living facility in your place of choice is the best option but I'm sure you've already thought about that. Terrible how politics have ran amuck and ruined so many area's making them unsafe to even live in.

She isn't going anywhere. She toyed with the thought of moving to Ann Arbor after my sister and brother in law moved there. She really has a hard time getting herself motivated to do things, so finding a new assisted living place and making a big move there like that is well beyond her abilities at this point.
I've had a problem with being too space constrained for my car hobby. I have one car stored in a building 45 minutes away, and when I bought a car trailer last year, I had to store it at the same location. Obviously not very convenient for me to use, so I've wanted to move to a larger property I can keep the trailer and house more cars!
I've lived in the same house since a few years after I graduated college, over 30 years! Even though I don't have a big house, the prospect of moving all my stuff including 5 cars and a truck seems pretty daunting. A place an hour away as opposed to 8 hours away would certainly be a lot easier. For example I could probably hook up the trailer and move 2 cars to their new home in a day easily, rather than it taking 2 days and 900 miles of driving to move just one.
I'm single with no kids, packing up and moving everything solo will be a job.

I would consider moving to where life is enjoyable and finding a suitable facility right there for your mother. Been there done that.
Yep moving is tough at any age, but sometimes in life we just have to suck it up. Sometimes there is no one to do it for us as Mom would say.
New Years here other day. Yea in the sticks. There was way more Texas celibratory gun fire all night than firecrackers. NO wonder the thugs in the city NEVER come out here!!??? Go figure.

Last gated Florida community my FinLaw was in, he couldn't even fly a flag! Painted his forkin mailbox as one instead! Since moved...

We can fly flags in ours. Used to be able to wash cars but that’s long restricted now and a findable offense. I somewhat get it when the HOA pays for the water with our dues and our bill is substantial. I don’t like it but get it. I really hate paying $25 for a hand wash place. Now they’re mostly washed up at the MIL‘s house. Our place has all the CCnRs but I’ve learned to live and co-exist in favor of keeping our area clean, kept up and nice.

Like she said on Green Acres a many few decades ago "Country living is the place for me............"
OK who never saw Green Acres?????? Admit it.

It is hard to spell it out so I'll just write what I can.....
Part of me is ready to go and light a fire on my way out. Screw the bad policies, the high prices, taxes, stinky bums walking the streets and the rainbow flag waving, degenerate, entitled dipshits that have a stranglehold on the media and entertainment industry.
But....much like an abused spouse that can't seem to get up and leave a shitty marriage, I am still hesitant. This state is all that I know. Mom and Dad are gone. Some family remains but not a lot. I have friends but not enough to fill a stadium! No job to anchor me here. The Wife can work anywhere that has a strong internet signal. All that stands in my way is....me.

I have friends but not enough to fill a stadium!

This size?

LEGO Creator Manchester United - Old Trafford Stadium Set 10272

My life motto is: "do something EVEN if it is wrong," sometimes I was wrong! More times, I was right. I followed by gut. Makes no sense does it.

I see people work on ONE car,s rsto for 10 years and more, it will be perfect, until they screw it up. I am results oriented. It will be done and on the road in months I an make it perfect, but NOT anymore. Too hard, takes more time and now I give a chit .

None of us can tell anyone else what is right for them, and what they should do. All we can do is discuss what was right or wrong for us as individuals. You have a family decision. Whatis your wife's feelings?

It is hard to spell it out so I'll just write what I can.....
Part of me is ready to go and light a fire on my way out. Screw the bad policies, the high prices, taxes, stinky bums walking the streets and the rainbow flag waving, degenerate, entitled dipshits that have a stranglehold on the media and entertainment industry.
But....much like an abused spouse that can't seem to get up and leave a shitty marriage, I am still hesitant. This state is all that I know. Mom and Dad are gone. Some family remains but not a lot. I have friends but not enough to fill a stadium! No job to anchor me here. The Wife can work anywhere that has a strong internet signal. All that stands in my way is....me.
I get what you’re saying. I’ve never been to California, furthest west I’ve been is New Mexico, but seeing pictures, and hearing stories, there’s still a lot of beauty in California. It’s a damn shame the politics, homos, homeless, and homeless homos have ruined such a beautiful state.

I love all the 50s-60s rock songs about going to California, and the ones about life in California. I like watching Hot Rod garage, and Roadkill garage, all the things they still do in California. The picture guys and gals show on this thread of the car cruises, and car shows.

I understand how hard it is to leave the state you’ve called home for so long, you’re still holding on to past beauty, past memories of glory days, the old California still reflects in your mind.

Some HOA's can get stupid, I avoided them. Some rules are fine and do bring like minded people together, but company work trucks, trucks and flagpoles are really over the edge. How about Sacramento County saying it's illegal to work on your own car in your own garage. Charcoal that has been sprayed with some type of igniting fluid is strictly regulated in California. Homeowners who have Christmas lights on their houses past February 2 may be subject to a fine of up to $250 in San Diego. In Long Beach, it is prohibited to put anything other than cars in a garage. Following the recurring drought in the whole of California, there’s been ban or restriction on residents washing their car at home. The new California garage door opener battery backup law. A California community is upset after their HOA told them they needed to keep their garage doors open during the day. The policy was put in place after one homeowner was caught allowing people to live in his garage. So, some places have some weird rules, some states and some HOA's.

Auto Transport Service
Back