• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has used a "Low" gear set in their 727?

A&A is the place to get 727 or 904 performance Transmission parts. That's all Rick does.

By the way....what drum are you running? if you're running the stock drum pitch it if you have the trans apart. Buy an A&A billet drum, your feet will thank you some day.

A&A is the place to get 727 or 904 performance Transmission parts. That's all Rick does.

By the way....what drum are you running? if you're running the stock drum pitch it if you have the trans apart. Buy an A&A billet drum, your feet will thank you some day.
The trans in the car is just a basic rebuild with a mild shift kit. I'm running a 440/493, 10. compression with the MP 528 solid, Edelbrock RPMs ported, 2" TTI headers, 3.55 gears.
I'm traction limited since I run road course type low profile tires.

The lower first gears in the 727s come from AMC products.

They do? I thought that they were 904/999 based.

Kern, I can only try to compare your combo to my own cars and other big block Mopars I have ridden in. I would think that with your setup, with street type low profile tires, you should be able to light the tires up at pretty much any speed in 1st gear. If this is the case, I can't understand how a lower 1st gear could benefit you much. I believe you have mentioned that you are not a drag racer type, but if there is a drag strip near to you , you might consider making a few passes. Even if your ET sux due to your tires and suspension , your trap speed will tell you if your engine is developing the power it should.

Indeed , the low 2.74 in the 904 was introduced , instead of creating an O/D transmission, My 79 Newport has a 2.45 rear axle with 2.74 low first 904 lock-up (999 , not sure). Most M bodies did have that set-up.My guess , it was to make for low cruising rpm without developing an o/d trans for models that were destined to disappear sooner or later.
I love the idea of low cruising rpm with still a direct drive set up instead of having mechanical movement .
I did run a low 2.77 in my 80 Diplomat , my 72 Duster and 81 Caravelle wagon. That gear followed me for a while . Ran a 10.64 at 126 with a fairly heavy (3600 racing weight) Duster 451 cube 3.91 rear . My 81 wagon was 3800 # with 493 , low first and a 3.55 rear . between 2000 and 2004.

Didn't the motor home trans have low gear sets in some of them?
---
I've heard this but it seems that it's likely more myth than fact, at least from what I've heard/seen.
I run a low gear set in my car, it sure does get you out there quicker. It effects both 1st and 2nd gear. My car has 4.10's and the low gear set makes 1st like 4.58's and 2nd, 4.35's back to 4.10 for 3rd. If you were to ask me if I would ever change back, hell no I wouldn't.

There are no factory 727 low gear sets.
Doug

Please excuse the hijack. Doug, I supposedly have a pushbutton trans with a 2.77 low set in it. Would it therefore have to have the later larger input shaft? It is a trunnion trans.
Edit: it's not in the car now.

Please excuse the hijack. Doug, I supposedly have a pushbutton trans with a 2.77 low set in it. Would it therefore have to have the later larger input shaft? It is a trunnion trans.
Edit: it's not in the car now.
The input shafts will swap between early and late w/o issue as long as it has the matching front drum, reaction support and pump gears (or entire pump). The front planetary spline pressure angle must match the output shaft. So low gear sets from 75 and down wouldn't fit 76 and later output.
Doug

---
I've heard this but it seems that it's likely more myth than fact, at least from what I've heard/seen.
I run a low gear set in my car, it sure does get you out there quicker. It effects both 1st and 2nd gear. My car has 4.10's and the low gear set makes 1st like 4.58's and 2nd, 4.35's back to 4.10 for 3rd. If you were to ask me if I would ever change back, hell no I wouldn't.
Some MotorHome , but mostly D500 to 700 series had a 4 speed A345 with a first low gear compounder added to the back of transmission. 1st was 3.45 , 2nd was 2.45 (stock 727) 3rd 1.45 and 4th direct. You can see the basic 727 with extra components. Very heavy for a car or light truck. They had a deep pan , but it was to make room for thicker valve body.
DCP02095.JPG
DCP02097.JPG

Looks almost like a gear vendor.

Auto Transport Service
Back