• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who here is a bourbon drinker? Show your stash!

Evan as a mixer for old fashioned, it's way better than it's $12 price on sale.
Been spending my money on scotch though

16073158976191486417875040406556.jpg

If you like the Glenfiddich then give Glenmorangie a go (if you can get it there).....one of my favourite single malts.

We can, haven't yet but will put on the list. The 14yr Glenfiddich is finished in bourbon barrels so it's a great step into scotch for anyone who hasn't tried or found one that wasn't too smokey or floral.

We can, haven't yet but will put on the list. The 14yr Glenfiddich is finished in bourbon barrels so it's a great step into scotch for anyone who hasn't tried or found one that wasn't too smokey or floral.
I must agree with this. A friend tried to get me to like Scotch and had me try some of the Glenfiddich 14. I must say I was able to tolerate it but...no cigar. Maybe if we had cigars....

The heavy peat is a no go for me. I like Highland Scotches. They don't use peat.
(or if they do not much)

Its what you were bought up with I guess....people here (wrongly IMO) see bourbon as a drink for those that don't like proper Whiskey!. I only came to Bourbon later in life and just the easily available stuff (Jack and Jim!)...and to my mind its so different its not a case of one or the other....they are different drinks and I like both....and we spell it right!!!

I love good bourbon! My favorites tend to be Weller 12, which is a nice wheated bourbon. Same for Weller Antique and to a lesser extent Weller Special Reserve. Elmer T Lee is my newer favorite. Very great taste and easy to sip neat. Buffalo Trace brand is very good overall. Makers 46. Woodford Reserve is readily available and a great bourbon for the price. EH Taylor Small Batch is also very very tasty. It all depends on what's available in your area.
View attachment 925158 View attachment 925159 View attachment 925160 View attachment 925161
I see a few bottles of Woodford Reserve. That is a excellent medium priced choice both as a bourbon or a rye.

True its Tennessee Whisky ....but it is Bourbon in all but name.......... it is made almost exactly like Bourbon, and pretty much tastes like bourbon, Jack Daniel's is a little bit different so its makers prefer to call it Tennessee whiskey.

True its Tennessee Whisky ....but it is Bourbon in all but name.......... it is made almost exactly like Bourbon, and pretty much tastes like bourbon, Jack Daniel's is a little bit different so its makers prefer to call it Tennessee whiskey.
Here's a interesting little tidbit along those lines.

The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits, codified under 27 CFR §5.22(b)(1)(i), states bourbon made for U.S. consumption must be:

• Produced in the United States
  • Made from a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn
  • Aged in new, charred oak containers
  • Distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume)
  • Entered into the container for aging at no more than 125 proof (62.5% ABV.
  • Bottled (like other whiskeys) at 80 proof or more (40% ABV
Bourbon has no minimum specified duration for its aging period. Products aged for as little as three months are sold as bourbon. The exception is straight bourbon, which has a minimum aging requirement of two years. In addition, any bourbon aged less than four years must include an age statement on its label.

Bourbon that meets the above requirements, has been aged for a minimum of two years, and does not have added coloring, flavoring, or other spirits may be – but is not required to be – called straight bourbon.

• Bourbon that is labeled as straight that has been aged under four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.
  • Bourbon that has an age stated on its label must be labeled with the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle (not counting the age of any added neutral grain spirits in a bourbon that is labeled as blended, as neutral-grain spirits are not considered whiskey under the regulations and are not required to be aged at all).
Bottled-in-Bond bourbon is a sub-category of straight bourbon and must be aged at least four years.

Bourbon that is labeled blended (or as a blend) may contain added coloring, flavoring, and other spirits, such as un-aged neutral grain spirits, but at least 51% of the product must be straight bourbon.

"High rye bourbon" is not a legally defined term but usually means a bourbon with 20–35% rye. High wheat bourbons are described as more mild and subdued compared to high-rye varieties.

I'm a single malt guy (used to be, anyway - doc says my irregular heartbeat is exasperated by alcohol and caffeine, so I've cold-turkey quit both for nearly a year now). Still have quite the selection though - Yamazaki 12, Laphroaig (12, 18, and Reserve), Macallan (18 and 21), Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich, Bunnehabbain 18, and one or two others I can't recall off the top of my head. Also a favorite after-meal sipper is Knot - they call it a whisky, but it's more a vanilla liqueur. Tastes like whisky...but with a vanilla tone to it. Quite nice.

I do love my peat smoke, and my Highlands...and the Yamazaki is absolutely amazing. SO smooth - I can see why it won the world whisky competition a few years ago. I agree with a single drop of water in each glass - it brings out quite a few flavors that you don't normally get. For those who like some peat smoke, but not overpowering (like the Laphroaig can be), I do recommend the Bunnehabbain - the smoke is more of an undertone, compared to THE flavor.

I need elective surgeries to start back up again, so I can get the ablation done on my heart and start enjoying some of these again!

Almost don't cut it.

I tried Redemption high rye the other day and thought it was quite tasty!
Speaking of Redemption. I was just looking. The barrel proof is a little spendy.

upload_2020-12-7_12-30-18.png

Any local suppliers have barrel picks that are exceptional? I am a rye fan and a local liquor outlet has a Iowa Legendary Rye barrel pick that is really good.

hy vee barrel pick.jpg

I don't like the peat at all. The dalwhinnie 15 has just a ghost hint which is good.
The high test Jack single barrel is a deal, $5 more for a big bump in proof.

I ordered a bottle of Corsair Dark Rye. It is a replacement for their Ryemageddon which was higher proof. Same grain bill
61% malted rye, 35% malted barley and 4% malted chocolate rye. It is extremely smooth and the chocolate rye gives it just a hint of taste. We can't get it here so I had to order it.

darkrye-clean.png

Auto Transport Service
Back