• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is NOT eating turkey on Thanksgiving?

Turkey for me. I'll stand by American
tradition if only for one day a year
when it comes to eating the bird.
Not a big turkey fan. I actually worked
at a turkey plant processing turkeys
for Butterball. Saw 6500 turkeys a day
from cage to wrap. Steam pouring out
the shipping doors as freezer temps
were 32 deg with outside temps
@-20 deg. If most were witness to
how these birds are processed, ribeyes
would be the holiday favorite, until
they saw how cows are processed.....
Though I didn't work there, dad rented
an apartment right next door, and
overlooking a slaughter house.
Still remember the boars screaming
protest as they were unloaded from
the trucks. I like ham too.....
As close as I came to anything like that was living next door to dairy farm and seeing how milk was processed. Helped out some over there too but was mostly in the way lol

Turkey for me. I'll stand by American
tradition if only for one day a year
when it comes to eating the bird.
Not a big turkey fan. I actually worked
at a turkey plant processing turkeys
for Butterball. Saw 6500 turkeys a day
from cage to wrap. Steam pouring out
the shipping doors as freezer temps
were 32 deg with outside temps
@-20 deg. If most were witness to
how these birds are processed, ribeyes
would be the holiday favorite, until
they saw how cows are processed.....
Though I didn't work there, dad rented
an apartment right next door, and
overlooking a slaughter house.
Still remember the boars screaming
protest as they were unloaded from
the trucks. I like ham too.....
I worked with flour transport for much of my career. Getting too close to the process isn't a good thing when it comes to any kind of food, even if it isn't meat. I still eat bread and baked goods, but I got way more particular about whose stuff I'll eat. In the meat department, I always felt better about eating what I harvested myself.

Three years ago I started to strongly encourage my in-
laws to come down from Little Saigon to our home for a thanksgiving dinner and get together. They are very simple, practical people and have been here now for about 9 years. They’re very devout Catholics and go to church every day. But even on Christmas and Easter, the most celebrated Christian days - they only go to church and nothing else to mark the day. That has been their life long way. So obviously Thanksgiving as a holiday really meant nothing to them. Thus I wanted to bring them up to speed on our American tradition that goes back to before this was even a country. They humored me the first time even tho they say “we don’t like that kind of food” I tell them the food that is eaten on that day is irrelevant. It’s a day of family and stray friends getting together to give thanks for all the blessings the Lord has bestowed upon us. The food many Americans have that day is traditional but there’s nothing sacred about what’s on the table - what’s sacred is the bounty that’s been bestowed upon us. So I let them know our meal will be a combination of Vietnamese delicacies they like as well as American food for them to try if they want but are not obligated to. The bigger point is giving thanks as a family. So now I start ahead of time to make sure it’s no surprise to them that they will be leaving their Vietnamese settlement to give thanks in keeping with our American tradition at my wife‘s and my home (every year). It’s kind of humorous how foreign this was to them for the first two years. Hopefully this year and going forward it will be expected…..

Last edited:
un heard of ! turkey is mandatory on thanksgiving ( round here )!!! as t day happens opening week of deer gun season here in ny we don’t take the time to cook a bird w all the fixings as we are at hunting camp mode . luckily our local vfw serves up a homemade turkey dinner at the post . the $5 fee is way too cheap , comes with all the fixings , desert . and coffee or tea ! there policy is vets or seniors eat free . crazy i know … we are mostly vets and / or seniors so they get a HUGE tip …..a lot of people go there to enjoy there hospitality…

Tomorrow's menu includes turkey & dressing (w/gravy), ham, sweet potato casserole, collard greens, potato salad, and pumpkin pie. I will probably have a glass of red wine with my meal.

Last edited:
we always have turkey, I can't stand it without all the fixins...... which we will have tomorrow

the wife is also putting together a lasagna, with pepperoni :D

I'm having pie for breakfast

Just finished up the potato salad. Going to deep fry my turkey.
EA597207-BE3C-469C-9C42-14997B50EF45.jpeg

To be honest, the leftover turkey sandwiches to come used to be my favorite part of it all.
Used to be, anyways....turkey was always dry and sort of flavorless to me when prepared by others.
Now? I've taken a liking to cooking these past few years (almost always from a recipe I trust) and once
I found Alton Browns' (Food Network/"Good Eats") techniques and recipe, bam....
Juicy, delicious turkey can be had!
I just put the rascal for tomorrow in the brine for overnight, as a matter of fact.

Mashed potatoes (don't cheat, make real ones) and gravy (ditto), stuffing (again, ditto) and a chunk of
cranberry sauce on the side. Straight up traditional; LOVE it!
Y'all are invited to, there's plenty to go 'round.
happy thanksgiving 2023.jpg

To be honest, the leftover turkey sandwiches to come used to be my favorite part of it all.
Used to be, anyways....turkey was always dry and sort of flavorless to me when prepared by others.
Now? I've taken a liking to cooking these past few years (almost always from a recipe I trust) and once
I found Alton Browns' (Food Network/"Good Eats") techniques and recipe, bam....
Juicy, delicious turkey can be had!
I just put the rascal for tomorrow in the brine for overnight, as a matter of fact.

Mashed potatoes (don't cheat, make real ones) and gravy (ditto), stuffing (again, ditto) and a chunk of
cranberry sauce on the side. Straight up traditional; LOVE it!
Y'all are invited to, there's plenty to go 'round.
View attachment 1561861
I have my turkey in brine as we speak. I don’t like to inject my turkey, it seams to mess up the oil when it comes out while cooking. Peanut oil is not cheap. Lol

I have my turkey in brine as we speak. I don’t like to inject my turkey, it seams to mess up the oil when it comes out while cooking. Peanut oil is not cheap. Lol
I brine my turkey then cook/smoke it on my big green egg. People who don't like turkey love my turkey. That being said, my wife and I blew town to Vancouver BC this year for Thanksgiving. That's a first for us. With no children we have spent Christmas/new years in Vegas the last 30 or so years to be with her mother in Pahrump. So this year we'll skip Christmas and Thanksgiving. We just made reservations at a kick *** Indian restaurant for tomorrow, then back to the bar and grill in our building for the Seahawks game. Whistler Blackcomb on Saturday. Who knows, maybe this will be the new tradition. Cheers to all!

Go Seahawks!

And @FU64RY if you HATE the Seahawks, this is an excellent opportunity for you to let us know.

Auto Transport Service
Back