• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who knows about vintage Snap On Tools

I have my Dad's tools from the 20's 30's 40's
Just go here for info on the very early snap on stuff

collectingsnapontools
is that a web site? didn't come up for me

Other than Alloy Artifacts, a couple of other sites are CollectinSnapon.com and frankmurch.com. Oughta be able to figger it out between those 3 places!

These were given to the mechanic I work with. We did some research, 5/8 drive ratchet dating 1925/26. Called it a super service set. Smallest socket is a 15/16 goes up to 1 5/8. I don’t think the set is complete. The one extension is much newer.
The other oddball ratchet says No 88 and that’s it. Can’t find any info on it or pictures on the internet.
Wondering what the value would be on all the Snap on stuff. If it’s only a couple hundred he would just make a display out of them. If more they might be available to purchase.
Dan

View attachment 1483347

View attachment 1483348

View attachment 1483349

View attachment 1483350

View attachment 1483351

View attachment 1483352
I'm pretty well versed in this stuff if you didn't ever get the info you were looking for heres some other stuff I got a bunch more this was just the last pic I took

20231102_031722.jpg

I also have a 5/8" ratchet made by Proto . My understanding is they are /were a part of the Stanley tool family .
It is very very old .
I also have a 1/4" Snap On ratchet . Equally as old . The gear was stripped and would only ratchet in one direction .I gave it to my Snap On guy for a replacement. He took one look at it and told me it was from the the World War Two and was purchased for the U.S.Navy . Therefore ,he wasn't required to exchange it . Neat bit of history . I got a new dealer ..

I have some old Proto open ends. Weird shape . They look like kid's tinker toys .

Therefore ,he wasn't required to exchange it .
Same here. I had a few Snap-On industrial ratchets that were too old to get replacements per the Truck Dealer.
They still worked but the finish was worn off. Oh well, I tried. Had a member here that bought all I wanted to sell made in USA tools. He started out wanting Snap-On but took others that I had.

I thought this was an old post I'm new here but I would definitely be interested if looking to sell. Don't want to make a public offer but definitely more than a couple hundred
One thing we don't do here is offer to buy unless it's a sale thread. This one is not.

Same here. I had a few Snap-On industrial ratchets that were too old to get replacements per the Truck Dealer.
They still worked but the finish was worn off. Oh well, I tried. Had a member here that bought all I wanted to sell made in USA tools. He started out wanting Snap-On but took others that I had.
Warranty is tricky business. It's a selling tool when your selling but if you run it through a rock crusher the warranty is void. This has this happen to me. Send it back to the parent company if you think it should be warranted forever. Don't let the dealer loose money on something he didn't sell or from a customer he hasn't profited from. Is there anything on the planet that is lifetime other than tools? They get used and abused. You make your money with these tools so when they finally fail, buy a new one. A truck driver has to replace his truck when it wears out and he buys a new one. No lifetime warranty there. I'm not picking on you just trying to prove a point. The manufacturers are changing the "lifetime" from your lifetime to the lifetime of the tool. When it stops working as designed, it's life is over. Lifetime Warranty was part of Craftsman's demise. You can't replace every tool you ever made, for forever, and stay in business for long.

Warranty is tricky business.
Yeah, I agree. I forgot to say the dealer did say that if the finish chrome was flaking then yes.
These worked fine just the finish was worn thin to nothing. No disrespect to the business man.

Here is a date chart I use when I find oldies. Check for symbols stamped on your tools.
051905e18a4a9f494b9a34cee6a78abe.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back