• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Likes Ships? We Have Aircraft and Trains.

mrhemi

Local time
4:00 PM
Reaction score
For any ship fans out there, this is the laker Roger Blough being towed by my place on Saturday. Down bound on the St.Clair River. A bit of a bad sign, I hope it is not on the way to be scrapped. A quick Google search did not shed any light on it's current status. It had been laided up since the start of the pandemic and then suffered a catastrophic engine room fire about 18 months ago. It may have been deemed not economical to repair.
The Roger Blough was the last Great Lakes freighter built in the traditional fore and aft cabin configuration. It was commissioned in the early to mid 70's by United States Steel Corp.

Roger Blough.jpg

Sailed on these two in 1960. Memorable. Fond memories.

Queen_Mary_New_York.jpg
9fa610_ef4d1682420b4edc9a5e059f58fe7651_mv2.jpg

Got a personalized tour of this one in 1977 while it was in Norfolk, Virginia. Kind of small for a tall person, but acceptable. Bunk beds were a bit short. I could not get a tour of a sub.

1396468198159.jpg

Caption: Farragut steams toward Copenhagen, Denmark, 22 June 1967, in this photo taken by Senior Chief Photographer’s Mate W.A. Jackman) (U.S. Navy Photograph NH 106801, Naval History & Heritage Command)

Got a personalized tour of this one in 1977 while it was in Norfolk, Virginia. Kind of small for a tall person, but acceptable. Bunk beds were a bit short. I could not get a tour of a sub.

View attachment 1415477
Caption: Farragut steams toward Copenhagen, Denmark, 22 June 1967, in this photo taken by Senior Chief Photographer’s Mate W.A. Jackman) (U.S. Navy Photograph NH 106801, Naval History & Heritage Command)
Adams Class DDG. I was stationed on the USS Robison, DDG 12 out of San Diego 85-88. Pretty nimble ships. All decommissioned and sold off for scraped now.

View attachment 1415477
If you would like to tour a sub and are up for the trip, in Manitowoc Wisconsin there is a WW2 sub they give tours for at the maritime museum. I got to go there as a kid many moons ago. I haven't been back since, but they did a lot of restoration work in the last 20 years or so. Hmmm....I should cruise over there this summer I think.

I Love ships, warships,sailing ships, old ships, all ships really. I was in the navy but never in the fleet. They flew us seabees everywhere.
I've toured 3 of 4 of the Iowa class. I still have to see the Iowa. Drank beer on the New Jersey a few times. Spent hours on the North Carolina. Watched part of the Monitor restoration

From Duluth, MN - August, 2022.

IMG_6243.jpg
IMG_6244.jpg
IMG_6246.jpg
IMG_6247.jpg
IMG_6249.jpg
IMG_6250.jpg
IMG_6252.jpg
IMG_6253.jpg

With a 12 knot cruising speed, you wouldn't have thought it would have gotten very far in three hours. :)

The actual 1964 Wheeler that was used in the second and third seasons, now docked in Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island B.C. It looks a little different because the second owner had it modified in 1971.
R.385390442baa8ea787e344e79ced5f3b

Auto Transport Service
Back