• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who really knows Carter and Edelbrock carbs on here?

Well never underestimate SSR!.lol
I went out yesterday with the hemi and with switching back to edelbrock 800 carbs and using Q-16 and richening it up all the way with .119 metering jets and 6849 metering rods gave me a A/F reading of 12.23 & 12.09 in 3900 DA. 91 degrees with 48% humidity and BP of 29.84.
Air was terrible and using the fattest jets I had I have just a little more room for error. If the air gets better, I will be flirting with disaster.
So my assumption was correct.
That being said, switching from Holleys back to the edelbrocks made my car go its fastest ever this year in terrible air.
Time to drill out 8 more jets to .122

what did it run ??....

- - - Updated - - -

IMHFO Then the Holley's weren't set up correctly either, if it picked up performance going from the Holley's back to the Edelbrock/Carters, they are both just a way of metering the fuel, the Edelbrocks were obviously set up closer to what the engine wants, is the only real difference, maybe a few #'s in weight here & there, between different style carbs....

I love it! The Carter's made my car go faster! And in terrible air!

Congrats!!!!!

thanks. Air was still not great 2478 DA in the morning car was still rich at 12.34 left and 12.05 right heres the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC5WW-5D-ds&list=FLM9_BKJgPRTfpVgks4hRA0A&feature=mh_lolz

this was NOT the fastest pass of the day then air got a little better and picked up almost a .1 when air went to 2115 DA and A/F was 12.55 left and 12.22 right still a little fat.According to my Racepak.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW Q16 VP is now almost $1000.00 a 53 gl. drum.

switched back to VP C-12 and just jetted down 6.
going to see if my et & mph stays the same or slows down. i'll have to check my A/F after the 1st pass and see where i'm at.

well hell....that works!!! nice run, the 60ft look like a sweet one...what was it?

1.294 60 foot.
5.92 330ft. or 1/8th mile

with the holly's 1.33 60 foot
6.03 330ft. or 1/8th mile

catchin up to the dodge.

Attachments

• NENDRA 1st race 4.28.12 at Lebanon Valley.jpg
    NENDRA 1st race 4.28.12 at Lebanon Valley.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 228
what did it run ??....

- - - Updated - - -

IMHFO Then the Holley's weren't set up correctly either, if it picked up performance going from the Holley's back to the Edelbrock/Carters, they are both just a way of metering the fuel, the Edelbrocks were obviously set up closer to what the engine wants, is the only real difference, maybe a few #'s in weight here & there, between different style carbs....

Considering the Edelbrock/Carter's are a stock/stock replacement carb they did really well.
When people say put a Holley on it, my only question is what Holley? Knowing there's a bazillion different Holley carbs out there, the choice can be one of many "correct" choices for the task at hand.

My only bitch to the Holley flag wavers is often the choice of the Holley is that it is not a similar carb has the Edel/Carter or Holley in being that it was a OE carb.
It seems most often the style Holley carb of choice is a bit far removed from the stock carb and its limitations.

Now if a OE stock Holley carb was used, ......

Considering the Edelbrock/Carter's are a stock/stock replacement carb they did really well.
When people say put a Holley on it, my only question is what Holley? Knowing there's a bazillion different Holley carbs out there, the choice can be one of many "correct" choices for the task at hand.

My only bitch to the Holley flag wavers is often the choice of the Holley is that it is not a similar carb has the Edel/Carter or Holley in being that it was a OE carb.
It seems most often the style Holley carb of choice is a bit far removed from the stock carb and its limitations.

Now if a OE stock Holley carb was used, ......

The holley's that were used were Ray Barton tuned and modified correct 770 super stock holley's vacuum secondaries. These are the original replacement carbs. Engine was on dyno with these holleys and engine made 931 hp @6700 rpm's.
Jetted them up and made 10 passes with them. Engine builder felt that we could make more power with them. So we didnt try the edelbrocks on the dyno at all.
Switching to the edelbrocks netted me a solid .2 as of now in bad air. I cant wait to see what this car does at Island or Atco in the fall.I'm very pleased with the results and I can guarantee a 1.26 60 foot in better air or close to it. Not too bad for a 13.5 motor.

Attachments

• HEMI W.NEW HOLLEYS 005.jpg
    HEMI W.NEW HOLLEYS 005.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 225
  • BLACK HOSE HEMI 004.jpg
    BLACK HOSE HEMI 004.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 215
A/F is 12.40 left and 12.75 right now. Still a little rich but getting closer. That means I still have more in it.

Nice #'s

- - - Updated - - -

nice

Cant wait till the fall if the car is running this good now and in June hot humid weather, I'm wondering if I can get a 9 teen or 9.oh.lmfao
at Island dragway.i'm betting 1.27 60 foot. And there will be video.

You got that badboy dialed in nicely.
That's rhe nicest car I've ever seen,on this forum.CT

I thought 12.5 at WOT and max power is OK for a carb. What are you shooting for? 13's?

going to see if 12.9-13.1 makes more power. I've heard from Ben Holt that at 12.8 you are still rich and your really not getting exact readings due to collector air getting in.So in reality you might be 12.2 and not 12.8.
Which makes sense so I'm going to jet for MPH 1st. And seeif 13.1 nets me my fastest times.

Auto Transport Service
Back