• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Runs Steep Gears on the Street?

Gear Vendor is your friend with steep gears on the street.
Last one I bought was $600 and didn't think twice about putting it it in.
They are built tough.

- - - Updated - - -

i run 4:56 in my dart with a 29" tall tire. not to bad at all. obviously your not going to cruise at 80 but she has no problem rolling 55-60 for long periods. wouldn't try it with a short tire, but them tall one's really cut into the gear. i use to run a 3.91 with a 26" on my belvedere. wasn't much different from how the dart is with the tall tire.

summer09023.jpg

Great looking Car! I just got 410's for my car and now im thinking about the cruising the highway thing.. Hope im not making a mistake hear! Had to tell you that is a nice Dart

"Hemirunner: Unless it's an underpowered bracket car, most guys don't even run steep gears on the strip.... I run 3.73's and my new car will be running 3.54's."

Unless your engines combination makes peak HP at a higher RPM range.... There is a good reason to run steeper gears... You just have to do it for the right reasons...

I run 4.56 with 32 inch tires.
It all depends on your combo.

Exactly. I wouldn't call a 450 HP 383 "underpowered". It's simply going to make that power at a higher RPM. So it needs more gear to begin with. Like womanator said, it's all in the combo. Want fries with that?

Yep,,, It's the RPM in which you build your power that dictates Gearing / tire size.....

I think you know I run 4.30's with a 30" tire and I turn about 3200 at 60 mph which I drive the highway all the time. But I plan to try a taller tire first as with my 493 I dont think I need that much gear. If it runs better with a taller tire then I will gear down some. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back