• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whoa.....have you priced car batteries lately?

Gotta love whats happening ... I don’t want to hurt the working man numbnuts says.. you cannot consume what you cannot produce.. it’s common sense! Sorry my rant..

Just had to buy a jet ski battery $111.22 and a 30 mile one way drive to get it.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/-1...bring-thousands-of-jobs-to-georgia/931922495/
It's right there in the story:
"SK Innovation, a South Korean developer and manufacturer of lithium-ion batteries..."

They are building a huge *** battery factory on I-85 north here in Georgia. Not sure what all they will produce but I do know it’s batteries. I just checked lithium Ion batteries so I suppose for electric cars and battery drills. https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/-1...bring-thousands-of-jobs-to-georgia/931922495/

Yup I edited the post right after I posted it and after reading the story.

The Schumacher trickle charger/maintainer/ slow/fast charger I have has resurrected more than a few batteries. usually lawn mower batteries but occasionally car or motorcycle batteries.

I've learned to trust that if that unit can't get it going, it's likely toast.

I see that there's corroborating evidence that the battery deal/price increase happened in 2019.

Interesting.

That deal with the wal-mart "the replacement exchange is only good for the term of the original warranty" seems to be catching on. I posted about that a while ago.
Why are your new products only as good as the remainder of your 4 year old product warranty?

Why are your new products only as good as the remainder of your 4 year old product warranty?
....because they can....(and because new products are crap, and aren't worth their own warranty anymore, so the "balance of" deal is actually better than the new warranty a lot of times)

You are effectively purchasing a 3 year warranty, with the inclusion of however many batteries it takes to ride out those 3 years.

In my experience, the first battery typically lasts about 1.5 years, as does the second, so I get 2 batteries that last just about the 3 year period.

When I stopped buying wally's batteries and went with those RK branded Exide's, I started getting about 5 years from a 3 year and 7 years+ from a 5 year.

And notice RK has who makes their batteries plainly on the label. Not many others do. Not Interstate, Motorcraft, etc.

Regardless of what brand you buy, I HIGHLY recommend you learn how to read the battery date code of the brand you are buying.
Interstate Batteries were dated with a letter and number. A thru L, skipping I was the month, Jan thru Dec. The number was the year. For example G1 was either July 01, 11, or 21. A new date sticker was applied, or the date was melted into the top face of the battery.
Interstate's policy was to recharge unsold batteries every 4 months, and not sell a battery over 1 year old as new.
These were policies back in the 90's. I am not aware if any changes have been made since then.
Really good info here...look for 7.6 Freshness
http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/carfaq7.htm

isba.gif

I'm a trucker, there's no time for sleep.
A Trucker with a good sense of humor!
Used to really like talking on the CB with
Truckers. Those conversations almost
always made the trips seem shorter.
Lifeblood of the USA....

wally's batteries were clearly marked with a year and month sticker.

It was VERY common to have a battery that was 11 months old in the front of the display slide, or even several rows of them.

I always kept digging until I found the newest sticker.

You are effectively purchasing a 3 year warranty, with the inclusion of however many batteries it takes to ride out those 3 years.

In my experience, the first battery typically lasts about 1.5 years, as does the second, so I get 2 batteries that last just about the 3 year period.

When I stopped buying wally's batteries and went with those RK branded Exide's, I started getting about 5 years from a 3 year and 7 years+ from a 5 year.
And notice RK has who makes their batteries plainly on the label. Not many others do. Not Interstate, Motorcraft, etc.
Who is RK?

Walmart still the best for batteries, just my 2cents worth. Besides it drives a liberal friend of mine crazy when I mention it.
I have one in the Charger, the old boat and 2 in my truck. I get about 5 years on them in the truck, not bad.

I have to check the dates, but I run wally world batteries in my Cummins (2 of 'em) and I think that's what's in my Daytona as well. The 500 got a NAPA battery when it died because wally world didn't have the right size, and NAPA was doing a 20% sale at the time to boot.

I just bought an Interstate 36 MO. 730 CCA. 910 CA battery from Costco for $114. (I had core) I have had some decent experience with Interstate. This is for a 2014 Cadillac XTS. It's not Interstate's smallest and cheapest.

20-30 years ago? Interstate was the best battery made. I have a friend that works at a battery recycling shop. All he did was saw them up for scrap. Interstate then were the deepest cell, best built battery according to him. However, that's not true today. Interstate is built very similar to most all other major manufacturers. I guess this started when purchased by new more conglomerate company.

This is what I know today on automotive battery info. Hope it helps.

upload_2021-6-30_12-25-23.png

Had to buy a Golf cart Battery went to Auto Zone after Wally World was sold out.. They wanted $212 plus tax plus core.. Ended up getting one from TSC for $158 out the door.. Last year I had to replace all the Batteries in a Polaris EV side by side. Cost $2200 I imagine it would be $3,000 today IF I could even get them..

I just bought an Interstate 36 MO. 730 CCA. 910 CA battery from Costco for $114. (I had core) I have had some decent experience with Interstate. This is for a 2014 Cadillac XTS. It's not Interstate's smallest and cheapest.

20-30 years ago? Interstate was the best battery made. I have a friend that works at a battery recycling shop. All he did was saw them up for scrap. Interstate then were the deepest cell, best built battery according to him. However, that's not true today. Interstate is built very similar to most all other major manufacturers. I guess this started when purchased by new more conglomerate company.

This is what I know today on automotive battery info. Hope it helps.

View attachment 1131647
Today Interstate is made by Clarios, which was formed by the parent company, Brookfield Business Partners, after buying Johnson Controls, who owned Interstate.
They make many different brands.

Auto Transport Service
Back