• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whooshing sounds under hard acceleration

Banzaiii67

Local time
6:41 PM
Reaction score
Recently replaced an Edelbrock Carb with a Quick Fuel SS680. I'm using the Quick Fuel carb base gasket that came in the box. I'm getting a whoosh sound under hard acceleration that wasn't there before.

I did change out the air cleaner base to a 1.25" drop with a 3" filter, and capped off the air inlet hole to connect to the valve cover breather.

Pretty sure it's the carb gasket..I'll run a unlit propane torch under it tonight to check.

1st time using a Quick Fuel or Holley type carb, wasn't sure if this was normal or not. Vacuum is slightly lower than before, was 11.5-12" in gear, now it's 9.5-10"

spray with water....not hose,spray bottle and see where leak is

its not an induction sucking noise is it?

i had dual quads on then swapped to a pro systems single carb and when ever i tap the accelerator i get a big sucking whooshing noise, almost like i have a turbo.

its not an induction sucking noise is it?

i had dual quads on then swapped to a pro systems single carb and when ever i tap the accelerator i get a big sucking whooshing noise, almost like i have a turbo.
Yes, it sounds like turbo, suction-like, but I only notice it under a heavy pedal.

Last edited:
sounds liek the same noise mine makes then, check for no vac leaks just in case, but i imagine it is just the induction noise of air going through the bigger carb

Are you sure that it isn't just the sound of blowing past the other cars? :eusa_dance:

Auto Transport Service
Back