• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whooshing sounds under hard acceleration

Banzaiii67

Local time
1:31 PM
Reaction score
Recently replaced an Edelbrock Carb with a Quick Fuel SS680. I'm using the Quick Fuel carb base gasket that came in the box. I'm getting a whoosh sound under hard acceleration that wasn't there before.

I did change out the air cleaner base to a 1.25" drop with a 3" filter, and capped off the air inlet hole to connect to the valve cover breather.

Pretty sure it's the carb gasket..I'll run a unlit propane torch under it tonight to check.

1st time using a Quick Fuel or Holley type carb, wasn't sure if this was normal or not. Vacuum is slightly lower than before, was 11.5-12" in gear, now it's 9.5-10"

I had something like this and was carb to intake gasket that vibrated due to hanging inside.

spray with water....not hose,spray bottle and see where leak is

its not an induction sucking noise is it?

i had dual quads on then swapped to a pro systems single carb and when ever i tap the accelerator i get a big sucking whooshing noise, almost like i have a turbo.

its not an induction sucking noise is it?

i had dual quads on then swapped to a pro systems single carb and when ever i tap the accelerator i get a big sucking whooshing noise, almost like i have a turbo.
Yes, it sounds like turbo, suction-like, but I only notice it under a heavy pedal.

Last edited:
sounds liek the same noise mine makes then, check for no vac leaks just in case, but i imagine it is just the induction noise of air going through the bigger carb

Are you sure that it isn't just the sound of blowing past the other cars? :eusa_dance:

Auto Transport Service
Back