• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Air Grabber base plate has notches in rear?

MoparGuy68

Local time
9:38 AM
Reaction score
My car has is a 71 383 Magnum. It is a factory N96 car. The Air Grabber base plate has 3 rectangular notches at the rear, where it sits on the carburetor. Carb is a Holley 4160 dual feed. The 3 notches, though small, do allow unfiltered air to be sucked into the carburetor.

Thus far, I have not seen any other photos of an Air Grabber base that has these notches. Has anyone seen these notches, like mine, on an Air Grabber base, or know if these were factory on some bases for certain carbs? Or do you think someone modified the base and perhaps cut these notches into it for some unknown reason?

Trying to determine if the notches are factory, or a modification..

There is also a blue plastic thing, at the 3 O'Clock position, seen in the last photo showing the entire base. I've not seen that on another base either. Anyone know what that blue thing is?

IMG_3505.jpg IMG_3506.jpg IMG_3507.jpg IMG_3509.jpg

Just a guess but likely someone modified it to fit a GM Quadrajet....

Pictures show a GM air cleaner spacer...
Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 5.46.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 5.45.53 PM.png

Upon closer inspection. I agree with 1 Wild R/T. It sure looks like somebody cut these 3 notches to allow the base to mount on some carb that didn't belong underneath it. The close ups show that the cutting was kind of crudely done.

The blue thing, is another hack, probably by the same person. It is a plastic cap that was used to plug a round hole in the base (which doesn't belong there either). I'm now going to have to fill in these holes somehow or buy a new Air Grabber base. I think this is the car's original, all metal, Air Grabber base, or an original base, not a repro.. So some jerk cut it up..

Ideas to close up the three notches and the big round hole, permanently, so I don't have to throw this metal Air Grabber base in the trash?

IMG_3543.jpg IMG_3545.jpg IMG_3546.jpg IMG_3538.jpg IMG_3537.jpg IMG_3539.jpg

Those are all pretty easy fixes for a guy with sheet metal fab experience.... Know any body men?

Those are all pretty easy fixes for a guy with sheet metal fab experience.... Know any body men?
You mean cut and weld in patch metal?

Don't know any body men, but I'll inquire with the shop that shortened and re-flared my secondary stainless steel fuel line. They work mostly on muscle cars and hot rods. If they can't fix it, maybe they could recommend someone who can.

Those bases are fairly sturdy metal. Low power mig up the slots, then file and dremel to shape.

Bring it over, I'll have you on your way back home in an hour! As Photon notes above, just run some beads on top of each other to fill the slots and blend it back to shape with a few different bits in a dremel.

Auto Transport Service
Back