• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air grabber/Ram Charger question

Diesel1276

Local time
4:55 AM
Reaction score
Good Day Everyone. I have a 71 Charger with Ram Charger hood. I am running an RB engine with the Edelbrock 440 dual carb intake and Edelbrock 1405 carbs. I bought the dual carb air cleaner from Tommy the Chryco and everything fits except it looks like its tight underneath the base plate where the fuel lines will install on the carbs. This is the air cleaner that Edelbrock stated I need for my dual carbs and intake to keep a factory appearance with N96 system.
If I need to install air cleaner spacers on top of the carbs, how much space do I have to raise the air cleaner within the air box beneath the hood? I thought I read somewhere there was 2” of forgiveness above the air cleaner lid normally? Im thinking I only need, at most, 1” of height to have room for the fuel lines. Thanks!

IMG_1650.jpeg

IMG_1647.jpeg

IMG_1648.jpeg

Get a carb inlet fitting from a 426 Hemi rear carb and the aircleaner can stay where it is. The problem with raising the aircleaner is not the lid it is the angled seal surface on the base to the seal on the air grabber.

Thanks. I looked at that at Mega Parts. Out of stock. However I think fittings for Carter carbs are slightly different then my Edelbrocks. I need 5/8-20 thread with a 90 that accepts 5/16 hemi carb lines. Ill just keep searching as our hardware availability here has almost disappeared. Everything has to be ordered online. I have a 90 brass fitting, so Im just looking for that piece youre mentioning to mate up and should be golden!

Thanks. I looked at that at Mega Parts. Out of stock. However I think fittings for Carter carbs are slightly different then my Edelbrocks. I need 5/8-20 thread with a 90 that accepts 5/16 hemi carb lines. Ill just keep searching as our hardware availability here has almost disappeared. Everything has to be ordered online. I have a 90 brass fitting, so Im just looking for that piece youre mentioning to mate up and should be golden!
Did you click on the Mancini link? They list the 5/8-20 for what you are looking for.

You know usually I look there but may not have yet. Thanks for reminding me, ill give it a try.

This place says they have everything. My local NAPA has an old fittings box that has 100 different fittings. They got it when they bought out the local A1 store. The guy who owned that could find ANYTHING. It may have been that he didn't quit when a part didn't fall in his lap. "NAPA" itself has little to offer, and when the old bins are empty (or corporate says: **** can that stuff) that NAPA store will be like everybody else.

Look for your town's oldest hardware store. Maybe McMaster-Carr

This place says they have everything. My local NAPA has an old fittings box that has 100 different fittings. They got it when they bought out the local A1 store. The guy who owned that could find ANYTHING. It may have been that he didn't quit when a part didn't fall in his lap. "NAPA" itself has little to offer, and when the old bins are empty (or corporate says: **** can that stuff) that NAPA store will be like everybody else.

Look for your town's oldest hardware store. Maybe McMaster-Carr

[/URL]
Thank you.

Auto Transport Service
Back