• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Did This 1968 Dodge Charger R/T Just Sell At Mecum For $170,000? (It’s Unsafe And Bad)

Seriously, as much as I love second generation Chargers, who would pay 170k for a green automatic car anyway?

I do not like the idea of paying 6 figures for any car but i seriously like that my charger is green and automatic.
I even wanted the buddy seat option and column shift. Guess i'm not the norm here. :)

He's trying his darndest to be a YT "influencer", isn't he?
Regardless, the car is definitely a pig in lipstick. Anyone, regardless of specific Mopar knowledge or not,
should have been able to spot a lot of the shadiness going on with it within 5 minutes of crawling around it.

Much like with Hoovies' Superbird, the hobby needs to be well educated of its' existence for sure - so thanks
for posting this, RC. :thumbsup:

I do not like the idea of paying 6 figures for any car but i seriously like that my charger is green and automatic.
I even wanted the buddy seat option and column shift. Guess i'm not the norm here. :)
Having spent most of my formative years in the back of a triple green 70 Charger R/T SE ,I am aware of how popular green was back in the day,it is not the most desirable color on a Charger now a days. Nothing personal about it,just stating the obvious and often said about green Mopars. If you have one and are happy about it, that's fine, but as far as the market for Chargers goes green is not a positive thing. That said, if my parents triple green Charger were to ever be offered for sale,I would buy it,just because it was our family car from 1970 until 1982.

So I signed up on Mecum’s to be able to see the sold items that were not listed in their Top 10 listing for each auction.

I was wondering if it was a BS listing because the only 2 listing on google was the u-tube video and this discussion.

It’s on their site as a previous sale.
Here is the description.

8BE68DC5-E61A-4A65-812E-05605FB67DCF.png

It states Original Interior, seems unfortunately correct in that detail. The steering wheel is a funky shade of wood grain in my opinion.

I reckon that the numbers matching R/T is the key to this sale though there are no fender tag photos.

A046132A-8FA5-4DD6-A657-7669A1C328C4.png

It is the first year of the “Great Ones” and, as mentioned earlier in this discussion, someone could be investing for the future. There was probably plenty of time to look this car over and hopefully hear it run.

575E401C-C2D8-407B-94BE-EB75BE3002AB.png

The body seems rust free and maybe original metal.

But the one rare option that caught my keen eye was the upgraded Plymouth AM radio.

This whole thing may drive others to put their Chargers up for sale with Mecum’s. We know who wins there.
5-10 years and we’ll see if it was worth it.

65959B1E-62C0-4E08-B804-B51C6432825A.png

So I signed up on Mecum’s to be able to see the sold items that were not listed in their Top 10 listing for each auction.

I was wondering if it was a BS listing because the only 2 listing on google was the u-tube video and this discussion.

It’s on their site as a previous sale.
Here is the description.

View attachment 1368444

It states Original Interior, seems unfortunately correct in that detail. The steering wheel is a funky shade of wood grain in my opinion.

I reckon that the numbers matching R/T is the key to this sale though there are no fender tag photos.

View attachment 1368449

It is the first year of the “Great Ones” and, as mentioned earlier in this discussion, someone could be investing for the future. There was probably plenty of time to look this car over and hopefully hear it run.

View attachment 1368451
The body seems rust free and maybe original metal.

But the one rare option that caught my keen eye was the upgraded Plymouth AM radio.

This whole thing may drive others to put their Chargers up for sale with Mecum’s. We know who wins there.
5-10 years and we’ll see if it was worth it.

View attachment 1368447
Crazy for 170k. Just last month or so I saw a '68 Charger on a rotisserie being sold in Canada, real R/T, matching #'s drivetrain 440, all the metal work was done, had all new legendary interior, and everything to put it back together for around $36k USD. Pretty much just needed paint and assembled. Dude who bought that car must have been having a little too much fun at the auction and one too many to drink.

I have a very rich friend. He knows nothing at all about cars. He goes to Mecum all the time and buys cars. All he says is that he wants it!! He always overpays and he doesnt care! A real spoiled brat. Im sure there are many out there just like him.

Wow! Thanks for this post! I feel much better now. I kicked myself for buying my 68 Charger sight unseen back in 2014 for $17K. I rescued it from being further traumatized by a shivvy guy. It came from the factory with the same color combo that the wanna-be-resto car in this thread did. After a quick peek at what my car was missing and the actual condition, I was feeling pretty low about not checking it out in person. My car was missing the fratzod along with a host of other parts but at least had the correct radio and the headlight doors worked. Even after a $50+K restoration I am still a 100 G's better off.

100_0898.JPG

100_6031.JPG

100_6040.JPG

100_6034.JPG

Last edited:
I have a very rich friend. He knows nothing at all about cars. He goes to Mecum all the time and buys cars. All he says is that he wants it!! He always overpays and he doesnt care! A real spoiled brat. Im sure there are many out there just like him.
Please give your rich friend my address lol

Prices are crazy and every where I go someone wants to buy it . I have even given a ridiculous number and someone said that’s a good price . Often think about selling it but what would the empty space in the garage do for me , I sit in it and have a drink on rainy or snowy days lol or just go look at it even .Love my car even when I’m not driving it

Not the political section so I can’t elaborate. But if you wonder where all that money that was spent recently went…

Auto Transport Service
Back