• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why does baby coming force so many projects to end up on Craigslist?

I knew a guy who had a nice car and a nice Harley. I found out as his two boys got a little older he sold both and used the money to buy a lot with a trailer on it in a small lake community in the country. He takes the boys fishing in the warmer months and they do all kinds of activities together. He told someone he wanted to do these sort of things with them while they still wanted to be around there parents. He will have plenty of time for another hobby car when those kids get older and discover things like girls LOL

Funds is probably the most common reason
pressure from the wife
guilt trip, over time spent in the garage
dipping into nest-egg or college funds {albeit far off}
household costs can easily double
wife no longer working, income cut in half
or man's/woman's job loss & needs to take care of family 1st {FUNDS}
costs of baby sitters &/or daycare
Life just gets in the way
the project gets ignored or take a backseat, guilt trip
so many variables

I never did sell mine for that excuse or because of a new kid,
but I had sold a couple of them, to make payroll or pay taxes etc.

se lave

C'est la vie, I believe you were wanting! LOL!

Yup, sometimes life gets in the way. Start popping kids out, and that gets expensive. Let's face it, are you going to spend that money on the health and welfare of the baby, or a new carb for the Dodge???

It sounds better than to say I finally realized I have invested in a bottomless financial pit and have decided to sell and cut my losses. If you go look at one advertised as baby on the way, ask for a dated sonogram as proof.

The guy I bought my car from was supposedly dying of cancer and said how bad he hated to see the car go, but he sure had a big grin on his face when the cash changed hands and it was my project instead of his to finish.

Unstable female. Irrational. No explaining. Put it on hold if necessary. Almost a dangeorous as bride-to-be. I am so glad to be way past that stage of life. Even though the end is near, it's better than putting up with that.

I do feel for people/guys in those situations. But looking back, even with 3 sons (1 with specials needs) I know I could have worked/hustled more than I did and still do. My Dad always said 'you'd be surprised how thin you can spread yourself out if you need to'. Of course he was talking about dating multiple girls at the same time but the quote still fits here. There is time. You can make more money. There's opportunity all over the place if you're willing to stick out your neck and use your head and back. Unless you truly are in dire strates, (lost job, lost home, someone in hospital, etc..) I would try and find another way.

Yea, first and foremost my family comes first. I work my butt off for what I have and will give everything I have for my wife and baby girl. My goal is to get as far as possible this summer on the project so I only have smaller easier managed projects. The motor is done, trans is done, goes in for paint/body this week. New wire harness front to back. The list goes on. I'm going to do anything possible (within reason) to finish the car.

Oh, and I wouldn't be as far as I am without the help I have received here. So thanks to all.

How's about then. Mopar on the way forces reluctant sale of baby. This baby has been like one of the family but must go now as I have a new Mopar arriving.
Now that makes more sense to me.

I have a baby that will be here in the next couple days and another child that will be 2 in a couple weeks. I've thought about selling my Coronet simply b/c I don't have time to do anything with it or to it...and I don't have the $$$ to pay someone to work on it. I can't comfortably drive it with a car seat in the back, let alone two. So, I completely understand why people sell their old cars. Hell, years back I sold a few things important to me in order to buy a wedding ring. When wife found out I sold those things, she was pissed...She wants me to keep the car and told me selling it is not an option. I guess its just gonna have to sit there for the next 5 years. At least I can go sit in it and drink beers from time to time.

Kallio, God Bless your family. You'll get to that car at some point. What a lot of you younger guys don't realize is that life right now for you with the bills,kids with colds,sleepless nights,no time for the hobby car are in fact the best times of your lives. I was the same way when i was a young man with a young family but looking back those times gave me my best memories.

It all depends on the situation, I had my Charger when I had both of my kids but it was just a pile of parts and had no significant value to even consider selling it. I focused on building our home and getting everything in order before starting the restoration, glad I kept it. If your a youngster and strapped finacially then you gotta do the right thing but if you can hold onto them until you can afford it your way better off (they aren't getting cheaper or eadier to find).

- - - Updated - - -

Kallio, God Bless your family. You'll get to that car at some point. What a lot of you younger guys don't realize is that life right now for you with the bills,kids with colds,sleepless nights,no time for the hobby car are in fact the best times of your lives. I was the same way when i was a young man with a young family but looking back those times gave me my best memories.

So true! Terrible 2s my ***, nothing but enjoyment from the day they're born.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a baby that will be here in the next couple days and another child that will be 2 in a couple weeks. I've thought about selling my Coronet simply b/c I don't have time to do anything with it or to it...and I don't have the $$$ to pay someone to work on it. I can't comfortably drive it with a car seat in the back, let alone two. So, I completely understand why people sell their old cars. Hell, years back I sold a few things important to me in order to buy a wedding ring. When wife found out I sold those things, she was pissed...She wants me to keep the car and told me selling it is not an option. I guess its just gonna have to sit there for the next 5 years. At least I can go sit in it and drink beers from time to time.

One thing to keep in mind is how much those kids might enjoy that car. It's become a common thing in my household for the whole family to load up and go wherever in the old Mopar and especially with my 9 year old daughter that just loves it. Simply put...... put responsibilities first but don't ever loose sight of the enjoyment in life.

I bought all my cars years ago when you could buy them cheap. That was after my first divorce and having 5 kids with my second marriage. Did I do any work in them? not much. My 71 charger was my daily driver for years., even in the winter along with my ramcharger. I bought them knowing someday the kids would grow up and I would be able to work in them then. I did sell a couple, but for the reason of down sizing. getting older and I knew I couldn't fix them all up before they put me in the ground. the trucking company I was working for let me put my cars in their lot for safe keeping till I got a storage place for them.
everybody has their reasons for selling the car, boat, motorcycle. All we can do is understand/sympathize knowing that someday we might be in that same situation.

My younger son wants my Coronet bad! He appreciates the car, as does my older son; but the younger is probably better equipped to enjoy and maintain the Coronet when he ends up with it.

Having a baby is better excuse than selling for meth for the craigslist crackheads.

I have a 68 charger and a 68 super bee. Had a son 2 years ago. Ive gotten more done on both cars in the last 2 years than i have in all the years prior to him coming along. Figure that one out.

You'll figure that out yourself when the divorce papers arrive :wink:

Had to sell a car once because I got drafted. Kept the car stored at my dad's house until I got out of basic training and drove it during tech school but once I got done with that, I got orders to ship out overseas and well, sold the car at that time. Dad wasn't fond of keeping it that long either plus I was supposed to be over seas for the next 3+ years (AF).

I wanted to take my 73 340 Roadrunner to NAS Bermuda when I got orders there. The cars on Bermuda couldn't have bigger that a 100 CID engine, but military personnel could have cars for use on base only. If I had my Roadrunner there, I could honestly say I had the fastest car in the country! How many times do you get to say that and be able to back it up? :)

Unfortunately two months before I shipped out they changed the rules about shipping cars for on-base use only and the car was stuck in FL. :(

Auto Transport Service
Back