• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why? How? the designs of the early 70's mopars...

Third generation for the most part are butt ugly
70 Plymouth.jpg
71 Plymouth.jpg
73-74 car front end.jpg
73-74 car rear end.jpg

I'm glad I started this thread, even though I might have pissed off some early on, but the tread became long and interesting. l It's really fun to hear opinions of our 71-74's.

Does anyone know the history of the designs? Particularly the Chargers? who was involved, etc.? It's obvious that it is an evolution of the Charger shape, but it must have started 2-3 years earlier (1968?). What I like about the 71-72 Chargers for example is the increased rake of the windshield, the delete of the vent window, the wider stance and I think they drive better.

I'm glad I started this thread, even though I might have pissed off some early on, but the tread became long and interesting. l It's really fun to hear opinions of our 71-74's.

Does anyone know the history of the designs? Particularly the Chargers? who was involved, etc.? It's obvious that it is an evolution of the Charger shape, but it must have started 2-3 years earlier (1968?). What I like about the 71-72 Chargers for example is the increased rake of the windshield, the delete of the vent window, the wider stance and I think they drive better.
John Herlitz designed the 70 Cuda. He carried it over to the 71 b body with Plymouth. I remember seeing him fueling his 71 roadrunner at woodward and square lake in Bloomfield hills, and fell in love with that car. I know whom owns it now, and, hopefully, someday, it may be mine.

It will be next to impossible to shake the moniker of "malaise era" cars. It will be especially hard to shake it when so many automotive writers and talking heads use the term as a jab.

Some will say the malaise era started in '72 and others say '73. I agree with '73 & up, but there are lots of good Mopars from '73 - '79 even though the corporation was gasping to stay alive.

62-74 is the good stuff in my books.

The design of the 68 to 70 Dodge Chargers were the Mona Lisa of Mopars,there was no need to be disrespecting them. Aside from that, the 71 to 74 Chargers have finally caught on,and can stand on their own merits. For three decades I was into second generation Chargers, and they are still my personal favorite Mopars,but the current market price of them has made them unobtainable for most people. Being friends with Pam and Gary,who are specifically into 71 B body cars, the cars started to appeal more to me when you see them loaded up with all the 71 specific options. When they have all the right pieces they really come together well. I had nine of them at one point,now I have six. Five 71 Chargers and a 73 Charger.

20230827_111427.jpg

20220821_150258.jpg

20220918_073540.jpg

20200807_182410.jpg

20231222_131701.jpg

20200613_171914.jpg

that's awesome ....... :lol:

reminds me of a joke...... how do you circumcise a hillbilly?

kick his sister in the chin :D
Well call me 2 months late to the thread.
But I am keeping that one.
ROTFLMAO

Auto Transport Service
Back